1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 05:29
    The basic tenets of paganism appeal to me more than Chistianity, although I will have to admit my knowledge on the subjest is limited.
    Would anyone like to enlighten me about paganism?
    Could the christians explain to me why christianity is superior?
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 07:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The basic tenets of paganism appeal to me more than Chistianity, although I will have to admit my knowledge on the subjest is limited.
    paganism is kinda like all the rest of the religions. muslims were once pagans too.

what religion did you had in mind exactly?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 07:50
    Why do you want a religion?
    Do you want the truth?
    Do you want something that benefits you in some way?

A surprising number of people pick a religion based on what they perceive to be personal benefit, which to me seems illogical, but then self delusion does seem to work rather well.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 09:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Do you want the truth?

A surprising number of people pick a religion based on what they perceive to be personal benefit, which to me seems illogical, but then self delusion does seem to work rather well.
    there has to be a reason. why not personal benefit?
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 10:26
    Do you want the truth?

That may be, but I think most people's choice of religion is merely a social convention. They simply adopt the prevailing religion of their society/culture.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 10:401 edit
    pagansim comes from Latin paganus and refers to those who used to live in villages and worship a host of 'nature' gods and attributed all sorts of practices and superstitions to these. For example if a person was sick, one would take a piece of cloth from the sick person, tie it to a special tree and hope that the wind would blow away the sickness Christianity is superior because through the example of Christ one is able to transcend 'superstition', to transform ones personality and really discern the character, not of the creation, but of the creator, in doing so one is compelled to imitate the character of his or her chosen deity, for are we not a reflection of the God we worship.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 11:21
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    there has to be a reason. why not personal benefit?
    No, there doesn't have to be a reason. Thats why there are atheists, we don't have a reason.
    I have already stated that I find self delusion for perceived personal benefit to be illogical. I will add that I find it to be generally harmful as well (both to the adherent and to others).
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 12:28
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    paganism is kinda like all the rest of the religions. muslims were once pagans too.

what religion did you had in mind exactly?
    So is paganism defined as everything that is non-christian?
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 12:29
    Do you want the truth?

I want truth. It is my understanding some pagan beliefs were in accord with the truth.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 12:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    pagansim comes from Latin paganus and refers to those who used to live in villages and worship a host of 'nature' gods and attributed all sorts of practices and superstitions to these. For example if a person was sick, one would take a piece of cloth from the sick person, tie it to a special tree and hope that the wind would blow away the sickness ...[text shortened]... the character of his or her chosen deity, for are we not a reflection of the God we worship.
    So there is no superstition in christianity? Remember you put inverted commas around superstition when you wrote that.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 13:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    pagansim comes from Latin paganus and refers to those who used to live in villages and worship a host of 'nature' gods and attributed all sorts of practices and superstitions to these. For example if a person was sick, one would take a piece of cloth from the sick person, tie it to a special tree and hope that the wind would blow away the sickness ...[text shortened]... the character of his or her chosen deity, for are we not a reflection of the God we worship.
    From the Latin “pagus” (village) -by the way my trustee feer rabbie we Greek Jocks use also the word “pagania” or “pagana” (trap), and some of us they do enjoy a popular song written some years ago by Manos Eleftheriou titled “O Haros vgike pagania” (Haros = Death, vgike = from the verb vgaino, I go out), so the translation of the title is actually “The Death went out for hunting” (it could become a popular zydeco song I reckon in the country of the men that go high drinking SoCo mixed wi tea -yikes).

Anyway, Paganism comes from the French Paganisme / pagan that derive from the Latin pagus / paganus and became synonymous of “idololatry” because this attitude was mostly cultivated in the villages; on the other hand, since the villagers in order to survive were actually “setting a trap” (pagania!) to the herds of the animals that they were hunting, they were actually “paganists” -they were in fact “country dwellers”
    😵
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 13:35
    During the Paleolithic Age the men were out hunting and the women were taking care of the kids and of the sick, old and injured people. The women were giving birth, so they were considered more spiritual and powerful than the men. Soon the women noticed that their bodies were functioning according to the lunar cycles and this is the reason why the moon was worshipped; the men who were forced to stay for long in these nomadic camps instead of hunting with the pack, they were monitoring the rituals of the women and some of them were becoming priests of that religion.
    A bit later, when the nomads started practicing agriculture and they became able to settle down in villages, the migration between the Indo-Europeans and the Celts eased the interracial sharing and promotion of the Eastern theories of reincarnation and death in Europe. As a result we are monitoring three main religious approaches: the Celt priests -the Druids-, who were mostly men and well versed in the Cult of Death; the powerful women, who were worshipping the planets and the divinity of the nature; and the Pagans, the “country dwellers” who firstly applied ancestor cult in order to influence the nature and the weather, whilst later they started worshipping the nature and its supposedly divine elements
    😵
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 13:40
    I want truth. It is my understanding some pagan beliefs were in accord with the truth.
    I do not know if Christianity is “superior” as rabbie pointed out earlier; but I know that the Christian temples were built on Pagan holy grounds and that the Christians kept the Pagans on the run mainly by means of accusing them for “witchcraft”. Even the famous philosopher and mathematician Hypatia was cut in pieces by Nitrian monks because she was ridiculously accused as a witch by that morbid joker, Cyril, who later was declared a saint by the Orthodox Christian Church! The Inquisition and the Puritans amongst else had also their share…

However today one can spot Druids, Shamans, Sacred Ecologists, Odinists, Wiccans and Heathens amongst else, all of them parts of the Pagan community. I could also accept that the systems Hinduism-Taoism-Shintoism are of Pagan origin, along with the Pythagorean, the Platonist/ Neo-Platonist and the Aristotelian approach -and this is the reason why many Christians claim that even the Atheists and the Ancient Greek Naturalists and the Pre-Socratic philosophers are also Pagans.

It seems to me that the Paganism of today is not related to a specific doctrine although the recognition of the “divine in nature” is considered a fact. The Pagans of today “see” the power of the divine in the ongoing cycle of life and death and they consider it “holy”. They appear eager to protect the natural environment and they want to contact the "divine element" of the nature that surrounds them. As far as whatever they are doing causes no harm, methinks they should be free to do their thing as every other believer of every religion.

Anyway, to me religions and ungodliness are both products of the human mind -nothing holy
    😵
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 14:12
    No, there doesn't have to be a reason. Thats why there are atheists, we don't have a reason.
    I have already stated that I find self delusion for perceived personal benefit to be illogical. I will add that I find it to be generally harmful as well (both to the adherent and to others).
    so you are an atheist because of no reason? because you don't have anything better to do?
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 14:13
    So is paganism defined as everything that is non-christian?
    dunno how it is today. in the old days yes. today it might mean the druidism, wiccan etc. those kind of religion. ayway i doubt it is a single religion.