Paganism

Paganism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Were his lips sewn up?
No, clearly not. However, the last bishop had been forcibly moved and the mob was clearly so murderous that they killed and desecrated the body of Hypatia. What power did Cyril really have?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Apr 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Conrau K
No, clearly not. However, the last bishop had been forcibly moved and the mob was clearly so murderous that they killed and desecrated the body of Hypatia. What power did Cyril really have?
You're such a Jesuit.

He could have had the courage of his convictions. Then again, since it is thought that his assistant Peter led the mob, it's unlikely he had any (courage or convictions).

Out of pure curiosity, do you also defend Innocent III's crusade against the Cathars and the institution of the Inquisition to eradicate their faith?

Edit: Strange how few Christian martyrs there were once the Christians were in power.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10
1 edit

You're such a Jesuit.

He could have had the courage of his convictions. Then again, since it is thought that his assistant Peter led the mob, it's unlikely he had any (courage or convictions).

Out of pure curiosity, do you also defend Innocent III's crusade against the Cathars and the institution of the Inquisition to eradicate their faith?

Edit: Strange how few Christian martyrs there were once the Christians were in power.
You're such a Jesuit.

Assuming he did not speak his convictions. Anyway, there is no evidence that Peter was his assistant. Peter is only described as a lector. This was not a clerical order.

Perhaps.

EDIT: anyway, the point I was disputing was that Cyril was somehow responsible for Hypatia's murder (which was the claim that black beetle made.) Whether Cyril was too diffident to condemn the attack is a separate argument (although I believe that the tumultuous circumstances of his episcopacy exonerate him.)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Apr 10

[b]Out of pure curiosity, do you also defend Innocent III's crusade against the Cathars and the institution of the Inquisition to eradicate their faith?

Perhaps.[/b]
LOL!

It's not worth talking to a Jesuit.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10

LOL!

It's not worth talking to a Jesuit.
Hmmm. I am not sure I like being called a Jesuit.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
09 Apr 10

What does the Jesuit comment mean?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
What does the Jesuit comment mean?
Jesuits are notorious for their commitment to casuistry. Historically, they have been accused of justifying many moral evils on various technicalities and obscure points of moral theology.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Apr 10

Jesuits are notorious for their commitment to casuistry. Historically, they have been accused of justifying many moral evils on various technicalities and obscure points of moral theology.
The Pope's spin doctors, if you will.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Apr 10

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
it is not a very complicated symbol. you just put one stick on top of another.

the thing is, the christians didn't adopt the cross as a symbol from another culture and slightly modified it. the got it directly from jesus crucifiction which is argued to be a christian act.

the christian cross has even less connection with pre christian crosses than the nazi zvastika has with the tibetan holy symbol
The cross of early Christianity was in use in the Mediterranean world and beyond, long before the time of Jesus. The Pagans of Northern Europe used the cross (+) since 1.800 BC as a part of their symbolic script. This exact cross was adopted by Christianity😵

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
09 Apr 10

What power did Cyril really have?

Enough power to have Hypatia killed and her body desecrated.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Apr 10

There is no evidence that Cyril did or did not condemn the attack. This is not surprising. Many written works of Cyril have not survived (and pursuant to that point, it is unlikely that Cyril would have issued his condemnation in a written form.)

[b]he Orthodox and the Catholic Church are free to honour whoever they want, but ask no sympathy for Cyril f ...[text shortened]... nishing his predecessor. Whether he even had the power to condemn the Christian mob is unclear.
Maybe it's unclear to you -to me it's clear that he was at least foxy. Methinks Socrates was just afraid of him and he kept a low profile in order to go through this situation, for who really wanted to mess back then with Cyril?
😵

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10

Originally posted by Green Paladin
What power did Cyril really have?

Enough power to have Hypatia killed and her body desecrated.
I currently dispute that Cyril was responsible for her death and bodily desecration. It seems Black Beetle and Bosse agree that historical evidence is limited, although they think Cyril's silence significant.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 10

The Pope's spin doctors, if you will.
Not really. The Jesuits are a bit too uppity. Dominicans tend to be good papal spin doctors.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
09 Apr 10

Not really. The Jesuits are a bit too uppity. Dominicans tend to be good papal spin doctors.
Internal or external?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
09 Apr 10

I currently dispute that Cyril was responsible for her death and bodily desecration. It seems Black Beetle and Bosse agree that historical evidence is limited, although they think Cyril's silence significant.
Sure thing😵

By the way, did you ever check how many crucified Saviours of the world are we enjoying along with Jesus Christ? I have a catalogue handy😵