1. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 08:432 edits
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Give me a break, Nemesio. Just because you're more intelligent than almost everyone on this forum doesn't mean jack. You believe one way, someone else believes another way. Period. Just because that person can't match wits with you doesn't necessarily mean their faith is immature and yours is not.

Don't start a pity party to distract from what's going on here. It's not about intelligence. It's about
    intellectual honesty. When someone says that 'before' really means 'after,' how do you seriously
    expect a person to respond? I'm not asking deep philosophical questions here, like explain the
    nature of the mystery of the Trinity or how water could turn to wine. I'm asking questions which
    make people really reflect upon their beliefs.

I'm the bad guy because I expose this? Because I ask questions that make people put their beliefs
    on the table? Sorry, I'm not going to tolerate such a BS claim.

Very often the reason people disengage from arguing with you has nothing to do with refusing to think critically about their beliefs. Because it's not true that you are just here to learn. When you engage someone you don't do so with any objectivity because right from the start you are already seeking to establish your beliefs as superior, and with the intent to ridicule.

I've not even stated my beliefs, so how could I possibly be making any sort of comparison?!? And,
    don't you think that your beliefs are superior to, say, a Hindu or Moslem? Look at whodey's less-than-
    charitable discussion of Islam. Look at Jaywill's discussion about hellbound Jews. That's not ridicule?
    Everybody here thinks that their beliefs are the best ones available, otherwise they wouldn't hold it.

People say 'The Bible says X' and I say, but 'what about Y?' Then they get all uncomfortable because
    Y is a challenge. Look at you: You disappeared because you wanted to believe that the Bible demonstrates
    Jesus' divinity and I pointed out it didn't. This doesn't make me 'smarter' or you 'dumber.' It means
    I've read the Bible with an open mind and you've read it with preconceptions. Now, I'm sure you
    felt dumb, but that's not my responsibility. Your feelings are your own.

And when you came back, you didn't reopen the discussion. Why not? Upon reflection, did you agree
    with me? No. Did you devise a defense for your belief? No.

You just put it out of your mind because the fact that what I was saying very probably might be true
    was scary. You had grown comfortable with your belief and didn't want it challenged. Well, that's
    just too bad. I think Jesus wanted people to wear their hearts on their sleeves, to take all comers,
    to compel them with the force of Wisdom. You want to be like Christ but duck the hard questions
    about how you believe?

In polite society such confrontations rarely occur, so we don't often get to feel that uncomfortable silence when a person no longer feels welcome and suddenly would rather be anywhere else. From your end you say the other person 'withers' and therefore their faith is immature and they haven't thought critically about their beliefs. No, more often than not it's simply not worth arguing over matters of faith to the nth degree you like to bring it to. Why? Because it's one thing to share a belief, it is quite another to be forced to justify it to someone, especially when the person you are trying to justify it to is much smarter than you.

Sure. If you're surrounded by a bunch of people who just nod their heads in assent without thinking
    about what they're doing, sure such confrontations rarely occur. Me? I'm surrounded by people who
    challenge what I think and how I act all the time, and I'm thankful for it. The challenge me (like
    Jesus challenged the people around Him) to be more attentive to the Truth instead of clutching blindly
    to falsehoods.

Yes, it's frustrating. Yes, it's humbling. All of my closest friends are five times smarter than I am.
    But I'm a better man for it, because they chip away at the worst parts of me, leaving only the best
    parts to remain.

If people are coming here to be coddled, then they should just go away. I come here to learn and
    to teach. If people want to say the Bible says 'X' when it doesn't, I shall not be silent. If they
    want to say the Bible teaches 'X' when it teaches '~X,' I shall not be silent. If people only want
    reinforcement for their perversions of Jesus' teachings, then they should find another medium.

But, hey! You think my interpretation is perverse! And, unlike you, I say, show me why! I say,
    point out where I err. Lucifershammer has corrected my misunderstanding of Roman Catholic doctrine
    at least a dozen times. Checkbaiter and Vistesd taught me an entirely different understanding of
    what prophecy could mean in 1st-century Jewish culture. I'm sure you can review my five years' worth
    of posts and find a hundred times when I've been wrong and changed my perspective.

Unlike you, I like to have people correct my error. I like when people show me I'm wrong. It makes
    me a better individual.

Not wishing to continue justifying a belief doesn't necessarily indicate a person has not thought critically about that belief, as you claim, nor that a person's faith is immature. Often it is just the sudden dawning of the happy truth that what you believe in doesn't need to be defended.

This is utter BS. If someone said that the Bible teaches that we should murder homosexuals like the
    'godhatesfags.org' crowd, I'd expect people to demand a defense of that. I'd expect people to rise up
    and challenge such a belief because it is a demonstrable perversion of Christian teaching.

A good faith is one that can withstand the pressures of scrutiny.

Jesus was put under the gun throughout His entire ministry. He was asked challenging questions, and
    He answered them all. He was challenged by the most learned men of His time. But He had confidence
    in being correct. He taught openly to all who wanted to hear, and even to those who didn't.

When I make people uncomfortable, it's because they recognize something infelicitous about their faith.

Jesus took on all comers. What's with the Christians here who get into a tight spot and then cry,
    'Foul!' and expect me to agree to disagree? That's in the image of Christ?

People agree to disagree, and that's one thing, but you seem not to be satisfied until others agree to agree with you, and if you cannot accomplish that then you simply ridicule and taunt. Agreeing to disagree at least allows people to discuss opposing views amicably, but with you that isn't possible; everything is personal with you.

What a laugh! Everything is personal with me? You're the one who feels ridiculed and taunted, even
    though you'll not find an example in my posts to you. You're the one who feels like running away
    when the cards don't fall your way.

Why should I agree with things that are false? When someone says 'before' means 'after' or
    '2+2=4' is at least 90% true or that the stone was moved both before and after the women get to
    the tomb -- why should I say, 'Well, gee whiz. I guess we just disagree' and let it go? I should
    just agree with things that are blatantly false or profoundly misguided?

Or just I just agree with the things that you think are okay...

It's okay to argue with the Jew or Moslem, or the gay-murdering Christian. But I have to sit tight
    with your beliefs?

You're making this personal by testifying to your faith and then saying 'Don't challenge me. I like it
    just the way it is.' And then you feign indignation when I say 'No. I will challenge this.' You feel
    ridiculed because you find that your emperor is wearing less and less.

Well, I'm not apologetic for challenging people's faith. I take understanding God as seriously as an
    individual can. I take being misguided about God as something that ought to be corrected post haste.
    And I take people who say 'I have the Truth, but don't challenge me' to be a grave offense.

I have not spent the majority of my adult life researching religious traditions just so I can argue with you.
    Don't be so self centered. I have not studied the Bible in Greek so I can argue about stones with a
    bunch of people who think the earth is 10000 years old. I don't get up from my computer smugly
    laughing about how I outsmarted someone. Most of the time, I'm nearly weeping -- half from
    frustration from why people would continue to maintain falsehoods, half from the lives that these
    fearful people must lead.

Knowledge is liberating, and one who is unfettered by falsehoods will have nothing but the Truth to
    embrace. But liberating oneself is a painstaking process.

That Checkbaiter doesn't want to share with you his beliefs without some assurance that you aren't going to berate, taunt, belittle or ridicule him should tell you something. He's not being unfair by asking that, in fact it's a perfectly understandable request. Frankly, your supposed indignation is laughable.

If I said, 'You're stupid,' then you'd be right. If I said, 'You're a jerk and God sucks,' then you'd be
    right. If I always responded with, 'You're fooling yourself. There is no God,' with no elaboration,
    then you'd be right.

(cont.)
  2. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 08:44
    That Checkbaiter doesn't want to share with you his beliefs without some assurance that you aren't going to berate, taunt, belittle or ridicule him should tell you something. He's not being unfair by asking that, in fact it's a perfectly understandable request. Frankly, your supposed indignation is laughable.

If I said, 'You're stupid,' then you'd be right. If I said, 'You're a jerk and God sucks,' then you'd be
    right. If I always responded with, 'You're fooling yourself. There is no God,' with no elaboration,
    then you'd be right.

But that's not what I do. When someone says, 'I believe...' I say, 'What does that mean?' And
    if they have a poor or flawed explanation, I question it. When I think they're wrong, I write with my
    own prose to address the concern. I don't link to websites, I don't cut and paste. I strive to make
    my explanations well-constructed and informed.

This should be the source of rejoicing. Why would anyone want to have a flawed understanding of
    God?!? Why would anyone want to hold onto a delusion? Why would anyone want to worship the
    wrong thing?!?

And, so, I crusade against inerrancy, because it's provably false. I crusade against using the Bible to
    prove Jesus' divinity, because it's provably false (His divinity is a Creedal assertion, not a Biblical one).
    I crusade against the idea that Christians aren't obligated to do work, because it's provably false. And
    I'm sure I crusade against a whole bunch of other things that are false.

Because, as I said, who wants to embrace falsehood? The answer?

People scared to examine their faith and, if need be, to reject something they've held for a long time
    as true.

You want me to agree to let people embrace falsehoods out of fear. I won't do that.

And Jesus wouldn't want me to do that, either.

Nemesio
  3. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 12:191 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    [b]Give me a break, Nemesio. Just because you're more intelligent than almost everyone on this forum doesn't mean jack. You believe one way, someone else believes another way. Period. Just because that person can't match wits with you doesn't necessarily mean their faith is immature and yours is not.
    [/b]

Don't ...[text shortened]...
    Cast not thy pearls before swine, Nemesio.
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:01
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    Cast not thy pearls before swine, Nemesio.
    Dude, I think Nemesio just cast every pearl ever to come out of the sea. That was awesome.
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:05
    The verb is prophesy (pronounced prof-uh-sai). The thing which you
    testify is a prophecy (pronounced prof-uh-see).

What sort of prophesying have you done? Weird vague ones like in
    Daniel (a tower of iron will crumble when the Sun cries at the sound of
    the moon's sleeping) or like real concrete ones?

There was some discussion some months back bet ...[text shortened]... emember who, one who was asserting that the time
    for these manifestations has past.

Nemesio
    That was yours truly. The time for tongues is over.
  6. Gangster Land
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:16
    [b]That Checkbaiter doesn't want to share with you his beliefs without some assurance that you aren't going to berate, taunt, belittle or ridicule him should tell you something. He's not being unfair by asking that, in fact it's a perfectly understandable request. Frankly, your supposed indignation is laughable.

If I said, 'You're stupid,' then you' ...[text shortened]...

And Jesus wouldn't want me to do that, either.

Nemesio[/b]
    Wow, I'm so glad I saved that last rec for an emergency!
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:18
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Do you attend an Assemblies of God church by any chance?

Not a trick question, or anything...I'm just curious.
    I use to, why?
    Kelly
  8. Gangster Land
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:23
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I use to, why?
    Kelly
    Oh, just curiosity really. The Pentecostal tradition is one I never really tried when I was a theist. I have been to a church service of just about every denomination you can think of (most multiple times), but never really got around to Pentecostal and it frustrates me. I could go now, of course, (and I'm sure i will one of these days) but i would rather have approached it for the first time as a believer.

Do you live in the Pacific Northwest, by any chance?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 16:57
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Oh, just curiosity really. The Pentecostal tradition is one I never really tried when I was a theist. I have been to a church service of just about every denomination you can think of (most multiple times), but never really got around to Pentecostal and it frustrates me. I could go now, of course, (and I'm sure i will one of these days) but i would rat ...[text shortened]... ed it for the first time as a believer.

Do you live in the Pacific Northwest, by any chance?
    In the Sacramento area of California we don't attend at an Assembly
    now we go to a Vineyard. When we moved here we went to an
    Assembly at first and the worship service was incredible; however, the
    preaching was a little self centered. We found a start up fellowship
    where the believers were very genuine, the gifts are not stressed and
    I actually think it would freak a few out there if God did ever move in
    His Spirit that way, the gifts are not denied as real there, they are
    acknowledge as real and for today.

The fellowship is mainly concern about being a positive force in the
    local community which is nice. The thing that drew us there was the
    assistant pastor there saying from time to time he didn’t give tithes
    because of bills and what not while he was preaching, he said he just
    did the best he could. That impressed me since some preachers who
    care about getting money out of the flock never allow people to feel
    they can avoid giving their tithes, I thought he gave giving its proper
    place, and at the same time showed he was living in the real world.

If would not look for a ‘Pentecostal’ church just for the sake of going
    to one, the one thing you want is God, not a denomination. I got
    saved and filled with the Holy Spirit in someone’s home, and didn’t
    attend at a church the first year I was saved. I did attend a different
    home Bible study around town about two to three times a week during
    that time. I tried going to church services but didn’t feel comfortable
    until I landed in an Assembly of God. I do not say the Assembly is
    the answer, it isn’t God is, so the most important place you need to
    be is with Him, where you end up fellowshipping doesn’t matter if you
    are not in a deep love relationship between God and you, because
    people will let you down, and they will even purposely go after you
    from time to time. Being in a church will not stop that since church just
    houses people so it just may surprise you when/if it occurs there.

I’ll share something with you, a friend of mine years ago had a dream
    that she shared with me and some other friends. I thought it
    profound, she said in her dream she was standing outside of a church
    building with some others and they were looking up and saw Jesus
    coming in the clouds. They were pointing to Jesus to this other group
    of people, but they couldn’t see Jesus because there was a church
    building standing in the way. I took that to mean that we need to look
    to Christ, and not worry about denominations; any denomination can
    be good if God is there, and any can be bad if He isn’t.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 21:231 edit
    You disappeared because you wanted to believe that the Bible demonstrates
    Jesus' divinity and I pointed out it didn't. This doesn't make me 'smarter' or you 'dumber.' It means
    I've read the Bible with an open mind and you've read it with preconceptions. Now, I'm sure you
    felt dumb, but that's not my responsibility. Your feelings are your own.
    Your arguements are not directed at epiphinehas, rather, they are directed at the theology of mainstream Christianity and any one who defends such theology. Are you suggesting that all those within Christiandom are stupid and/or unenlightened and/or intellectually dishonest unlike yourself? All I can say is pat yourself on the back my friend. You are far better than any of us.

The reality is, is that there are a myraid of verses that support the notion of Christ's divinity. After all, according to the scriptures did they not crusify Chirst because he claimed to be the Son of God and did they not interpret that as blasphemy?

There are two routes to go in terms of dismissing such uncomfortable truths in scripture. You can either attack the scriptures as not being truth based or you can attack them as being interpreted incorrectly. You seem to favor both approaches. It is like you move the goal posts at your whim. Whenever you see something within scripture you disagree with you simply say that the notion that the scriptures are inerrant is incorrect and not everything can be taken literally and you dismiss it accordingly. However, if you read something that supports your views then you use them to club those of faith over the head with to support your claims.

I suppose you could even say this about those who defend the theology of Christ's divinity. When you point out something in the scriptures that we do not practice such as the whole hair thread we point out to you that we interpret why such things were being said as opposed to blindly following the customs of the day. To you this is also like moving the goal posts around as you pointed out to me.

The bottom line is, is that every one is responsible for how they interpret what they read and to be as intellectually as honest as possible with themselves when doing so. In my own heart, I believe this to be the case as perhaps you do as well.

Having said that, in your thread about the hair created a breakthrough in my opinoin. I said that laws given to us by God were given in a spirit of love and should be interpreted as such. You also agreed with me on this issue as I imagine epiphenehas agrees as well. I think that our conversations with each other should then reflect our shared conviction that love is the number one commandment and we should then act like it. Have I always done so? Perhaps not, but I will try to be more mindfull of how I come across in the future and I wish you would do so as well.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 00:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    Your arguements are not directed at epiphinehas, rather, they are directed at the theology of mainstream Christianity and any one who defends such theology. Are you suggesting that all those within Christiandom are stupid and/or unenlightened and/or intellectually dishonest unlike yourself? All I can say is pat yourself on the back my friend. You are far better than any of us.

Welcome to the pity party. Of course they're not so much directed at mainstream Christianity, but
    instead to the idea erroneously espoused by many mainstream Christians: That the Bible teaches that
    Jesus is divine. It doesn't. The believe that He is divine is a Creedal belief. Every time I've said
    this (go look at the thread), I've been careful to say that it's perfectly fine for people to believe that
    Jesus is divine as long as they're honest about whence comes the conclusion. It doesn't come from
    the New Testament literature as I've shown repeatedly; it comes from the Creed.

I don't think it's stupid to believe that Jesus was divine (as I've said over and over). I think it's
    misguided to believe that the Christian Scriptures teach this. They don't. The Creed asserts it.

Yes, I demand intellectual honesty. I demand that people say that 'before' means 'before' and not
    'after.' Yes, I demand that people who put forth claims back it up rather than run crying when they
    get challenged. This is the 'Big Boy' world, not a group jerk-off session.

The reality is, is that there are a myraid of verses that support the notion of Christ's divinity. After all, according to the scriptures did they not crusify Chirst because he claimed to be the Son of God and did they not interpret that as blasphemy?

No, there aren't, but go back to my other thread (Thread 65384) or start a new one.
    Don't use this a smoke-and-mirrors technique of trying to deflect the issue at hand by raising another
    contentious issue.

There are two routes to go in terms of dismissing such uncomfortable truths in scripture. You can either attack the scriptures as not being truth based or you can attack them as being interpreted incorrectly. You seem to favor both approaches. It is like you move the goal posts at your whim. Whenever you see something within scripture you disagree with you simply say that the notion that the scriptures are inerrant is incorrect and not everything can be taken literally and you dismiss it accordingly. However, if you read something that supports your views then you use them to club those of faith over the head with to support your claims.

Hold on one second. Clearly, I have a different approach to Scripture than you do. My approach does
    not require me to embrace every verse. Some verses are clearly additions by well-meaning scribes
    after the text was composed. Some verses may be original but I believe do not reflect God's 'mind'
    as it were. I've never claimed otherwise, so clearly I'm not beholden to a Scriptural standard. So,
    when you say, 'But what about Scripture X,' I can say that I think X is bogus and offer my reasons
    why (often in the context of Scriptural citations but also my prayerful consideration). Such a stance
    is not hypocritical or even contradictory. I accept some and reject others. I offer reasons for my
    acceptance or rejection. My reasons are what never vary. If I rejected one Scripture for a reason
    and didn't reject another Scripture that the same reason would apply to, then I would be hypocritical.

You, however, are beholden to them because you've idolized them to be inerrant or at least
    infallible. So, when you ignore or pervert Scripture, you're being a hypocrite. So, with the hair style
    issue, when you say that 'nature' means something different here than it means in the homosexuality
    debate, you are indeed being hypocritical.

The bottom line is, is that every one is responsible for how they interpret what they read and to be as intellectually as honest as possible with themselves when doing so. In my own heart, I believe this to be the case as perhaps you do as well.

Absolutely. And, being honest requires standing up to scrutiny. When people cower or run away from
    scrutiny, then their honesty is in question.

Having said that, in your thread about the hair created a breakthrough in my opinoin. I said that laws given to us by God were given in a spirit of love and should be interpreted as such. You also agreed with me on this issue as I imagine epiphenehas agrees as well. I think that our conversations with each other should then reflect our shared conviction that love is the number one commandment and we should then act like it. Have I always done so? Perhaps not, but I will try to be more mindfull of how I come across in the future and I wish you would do so as well.

I'm glad of this. And so, as it pertains to the issue in that thread that I raised, I'd ask that you
    prayerfully consider why you would believe that God cannot be lovingly and prayerfully present in a
    homosexual relationship, why you think that somehow the nature of the sexual exchange somehow
    can interfere with the holiness of the love present. If you want to return to this topic, then bring it
    back in the other thread.

If you want to think about it by yourself and with God, then fine: say that and come back to it in
    the thread. Address the content of my objections with whatever answers you come up with.

If you want to run from it, then expect me to point this out. Intellectual honesty requires thinking.
    Running away from a tough issue is explicitly not thinking, and thus is not intellectually honest.

So, don't expect me to congratulate the intellectual honesty of people who dodge issues and discussion,
    people who more often than not initiated these issues with their own posts. I'll never apologize for
    asking questions. Of all the admirable qualities that Jesus had, I'm inclined to think that His willingness
    to discuss and deliberate over what God is and what He expects is among the most admirable.

If you want to really 'clothe yourself in Christ,' then stop running from tough issues. And stop crying
    that I'm attacking you or striving to malign your beliefs or whatever other nonsense about my intentions
    I've been hearing of late. When did Jesus whine about His ministry? Never.

Nemesio
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:172 edits
    No, there aren't, but go back to my other thread (Thread 65384) or start a new one.
    Don't use this a smoke-and-mirrors technique of trying to deflect the issue at hand by raising another
    contentious issue.
    So don't deflect the issue at hand by raising another issue? You mean like when we were talking about Paul's teaching about wearing hair and you brought up homosexuality? Don't bring up contentious issues? Give me a break. You wrote the book on contentious issues. How's that for a little intellectual honesty for a change?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:37
    If you want to really 'clothe yourself in Christ,' then stop running from tough issues. And stop crying
    that I'm attacking you or striving to malign your beliefs or whatever other nonsense about my intentions
    I've been hearing of late. When did Jesus whine about His ministry? Never.

Nemesio[/b]
    When have I ran from tough issues? I have attempted to answer your questions, albiet not to your liking, the best that I know how.

I have a question for you since you seem to be such a follower of the teachings of Christ. Did Jesus EVER reject ANY of the Mosaic commands as invalid such as the teaching on homosexuality?
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:461 edit
    Give me a break, Nemesio. Just because you're more intelligent than almost everyone on this forum doesn't mean jack. You believe one way, someone else believes another way. Period. Just because that person can't match wits with you doesn't necessarily mean their faith is immature and yours is not.

Don't ...[text shortened]...
    You disappeared because you wanted to believe that the Bible demonstrates
    Jesus' divinity and I pointed out it didn't.

Our whole argument revolved around semantics. Every scriptural example you used I would read in favor of my position, and every example I used you would read in favor of your position. If I can't convince you with my evidence, and you can't convince me with yours, then what's the point of carrying on?

That's the reason I found something more worthwhile to pursue, because the whole discussion proved itself to be fruitless, not because your beliefs rattled me in any way - a delusion of grandeur brought you to that conclusion.

And if you aren't going to see things my way, then I'm perfectly happy to let you believe what you want to believe, which I have. But you fancy yourself on some kind of crusade to deliver everybody from what you deem to be false beliefs. And that's your trip.

The reason I wanted to call you out now is, I thought it was perfectly understandable that CB might be hesitant to share his beliefs with you, since it is rare that you are simply curious about what others believe. You always come at someone with an angle (your 'crusade'😉. Why get uptight about someone seeking some reassurance that you are simply curious rather than in attack mode? Especially when that's your default position?

Your labelling this a 'pity party' is just flamebait, like most of your dialogue on this forum. Just like bringing up myself and whodey, etc. in your response to CB; it's all just cheap jabs for flamebait purposes. Why get all prickly as if you didn't ask for it?

You want me to agree to let people embrace falsehoods out of fear. I won't do that.

There you go again. What an ego you have. You are making two unsubstantiated assumptions: that you are right, and that those who don't hold your beliefs are ruled by fear. Wow. Talk about intellectual dishonesty...

-----------------

I've more to say, but I'm at work and I will finish later.

Peace.
  15. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 03:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    So don't deflect the issue at hand by raising another issue? You mean like when we were talking about Paul's teaching about wearing hair and you brought up homosexuality? Don't bring up contentious issues? Give me a break. You wrote the book on contentious issues. How's that for a little intellectual honesty for a change?
    I brought up the similarities between St Paul's prohibitions, each couched with an appeal to God's
    image and that which is natural.

My opinion is that they are both cultural and we are called to move past them. I contend that St
    Paul was not inspired by the Holy Spirit in either case, that he erred in his judgment and that it is
    time to move past the cultural biases that they both entail. That is, I treat them both the same.
    My perspective is consistent. It is also rooted in love.

Your opinion is that one is cultural and one is not. You contend that they are both inspired, but that
    one is to be ignored and the other adhered to. You contend that one is cultural and that one is eternal.
    You treat these cases differently, even though they employ the same vocabulary (nature) and appeal
    to the same 'higher' calling of humankind. Your perspective is not consistent. Further, it is not
    rooted in love, because you don't afford homosexuals the possibility that they share something holy
    and God-blessed.

My reasons for bringing up the first was to bring up the second. I started that thread with the intent
    of seeing how people responded to hair and see if they were willing to consider the possibility of reflecting
    on homosexuality. I have been fully honest about this.

I'm sorry you think that it's 'contentious' to talk about homosexuality. That's probably part of your
    inability to reconsider it.

But, if you want to keep talking about it, please return to the other thread. Stop hijacking this one.

Nemesio

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree