1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 23:57
    Originally posted by Agerg

Thats a bit spiteful of him!...Is he trying to save paper?
    No, just your sorry arse and mine...
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 00:465 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And how does ones name get in there?

So why is "Judgement day" so called? You haven't really mentioned any 'judgement' yet. Its all about names in books, being 'saved' prior to the event etc, yet your question was specifically about Judgement day and its outcome.

[b]I didn't know that IQ of participants was even recorded on this ChessAtWork site.[/ point out that being an English language website, we have more Christians than Muslims.
    [/b] Concerning "the book of the life if the Lamb" (Rev. 13:8; 3:10; 20:15) you ask:

==============================
    And how does ones name get in there?
    =============================
    [/b]

You do know how to ask good questions.

I would not presume to know all the ways one's name is written by God in this "book of life". Perhaps, there are some ways unknown to me.

However, I am assured that if you receive Jesus, the Lamb of God, as your Savior, your name will be in the book of life. If you allow His life in the Holy Spirit to be dispensed into your heart, your name will be in the book of life.

Rather than explore exceptions which we may not be readily told, it behooves us to take the way which is quite obvious to us. Come to the Lamb of God for eternal life.

=========================
    So why is "Judgement day" so called? You haven't really mentioned any 'judgement' yet. Its all about names in books, being 'saved' prior to the event etc, yet your question was specifically about Judgement day and its outcome.
    ===========================

There is more than one judgment. When I used phrase "the day of judgment" I was refering to the last judgment of the great white throne just before the eternal age commences.

I was not refering to one or two other judgments carried out by Christ before the beginning of the eternal age in Revelation 20.

Some people hope to spend much time hunting for little inconsistencies in God's plan of salvation. Perhaps they feel that if they can find "bugs" in the system here and there, then they can rest assured that these things are not real.

I think we should deal with what we know. I don't think it is wise to put off dealing with what we know for the sake of hunting for logical inconsistencies, program bugs, contradictions which will give us a comfortable feeling that these are all just faulty ideas of mankind's imagination.

I would not advize someone that they should ignore salvation in Christ because there conceivably may be some way his name would be included in the book of life apart from knowing Christ.

Besides all this, I think judgment is not the only viewpoint to understand why it is right that we should believe into Christ. To be a part of God's eternal purpose, we should want to be in Christ, associated with Christ.

When God is happy we are happy within. Often our own dissatisfaction and unrest is a reflection that God is not at rest as far as our hearts are concerned.

The satisfaction of God when He has saved us is reflected in our own joy. Because God is happy we also are happy.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 00:486 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    No, just your sorry arse and mine...
    I see (???)...then why is he so quick to remove names who didn't believe there existed a gift in the first place, let alone acknowledge that one was being offered from this so-called book of life given he wants to "save my sorry arse"???

As I said earlier, I don't reject a free-gift, I reject the application procedure for a gift I am, with the evidence available to me, confident does not exist. Given my estimation of the upper bound for the amount of time I'll be existing (and aware of such existence) from this point onwards (less than thirty years), it would be foolish of me to waste this time pursuing dreams I find absurd.
    A god that had anything in common with those proposed by most theists (omni-'awesomeness'😉 would know this, and so assuming it is the case I am wrong your god would indeed be spiteful for removing me from his book.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 01:322 edits

I see (???)...then why is he so quick to remove names who didn't believe there existed a gift in the first place, let alone acknowledge that one was being offered from this so-called book of life given he wants to "save my sorry arse"???

As I said earlier, I don't reject a free-gift, I reject the application procedure for a gift I am, with the evidence av t is the case I am wrong your god would indeed be spiteful for removing me from his book.
    "I see (???)...then why is he so quick to remove names who didn't believe..."

If you knew Him (second class conditional, and you sure as hell don't have a clue) you would know beyond a shadow of doubt that He isn't some sugary anything goes Santa Claus posing around for the helluva it in a fake beard but that His Righteousnesss, Justice and Grace are the countervailing poles of His Divine Integrity. He set timelines and doesn't mess around.

5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 01:575 edits
    [b]"I see (???)...then why is he so quick to remove names who didn't believe..."

If you knew Him (second class conditional, and you sure as hell don't have a clue) you would know beyond a shadow of doubt that He isn't some sugary anything goes Santa Claus posing around for the helluva it in a fake beard but that His Righteousnesss, Justice and around.

...........................................................................[/b]
    I don't take it as any sleight against my character or level of knowledge the implication I "sure as hell don't have a clue" because this is an accurate statement not only for me but for you also (unless of course you are equipped with an ability to detect the supernatural).

That your notion of god need not be nice isn't my concern if it is stated at the outset this is the case. It is you who is sugar coating your god and imposing upon non-believers the idea that it is all our fault we receive the fates you think are in store for us. I say if your god exists the fault lies squarely at it's metaphorical feet...not mine!

Also, please don't assume I have some deep rooted hostility towards your god and am venting out in a rebellious manner because honestly, truthfully, "God" is a meaningless word to me, and so I don't recognise as existant the entity you might propose I dislike.
    I seek not to find your god but to discuss your third issue for analysis as an opponent of it (and if my dry point about saving paper earlier annoyed you then my apologies)
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 03:59
    I don't take it as any sleight against my character or level of knowledge the implication I "sure as hell don't have a clue" because this is an accurate statement not only for me but for you also (unless of course you are equipped with an ability to detect the supernatural).

That your notion of god need not be nice isn't my concern if it is stated at the ou ...[text shortened]... t of it (and if my dry point about saving paper earlier annoyed you then my apologies)
    You're in well over your head, Agerg, and drowning with each stroke of your own keyboard

without having provoked or annoyed anybody. Main issue is... you're sitting in darkness.

7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 04:111 edit
    You're in well over your head, Agerg, and drowning with each stroke of your own keyboard

without having provoked or annoyed anybody. Main issue is... you're sitting in darkness.

I am rubber you are glue.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 04:35
    [b]"I tried the path of Christianity for 20 years. It just wasn't the right the right one for me."

How forthright, SG. Unsure which question to presume to ask... why did it sour or what have you found?

Edit: Let's play some chess later on this year.

......................................................................[/b]
    Maybe some other time I'll go into why I left.

Sure, we can play a game or two if you want.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 04:48
    Originally posted by jaywill
    There is more than one judgment. When I used phrase "the day of judgment" I was refering to the last judgment of the great white throne just before the eternal age commences.
    It seems rather odd then that you and Grampy seem intent on writing pages and pages about salvation and how to obtain it but practically nothing about this great white throne that was the object of the original question. It feels like a bait and switch.
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 06:08
    Premise seems to suggest 'spirituality' is just another subjective effort or inward search

for relativistic values on a horizontal plane, rather than an absolute vertical connection.

And your premise is simply the opposite.* If the premises are the disconnect (say, between a Christian and a Zen Buddhist), then it is precisely the premises that need analyzed. On a forum such as this, that analysis generally takes the form of argument.

* Although I'm not sure that the "horizontal plane" is necessarily relativistic; the amount of "intramural" argument on here among theists about the nature of the "vertical plane" could lead an observer to suggest that that is relativistic as well, but I wouldn't think that's necessarily an apt description there either.

I always enjoy your posts, by the way.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 12:40
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Maybe some other time I'll go into why I left.

Sure, we can play a game or two if you want.
    Good. Maybe toward autumn.

Stay safe. Be well.
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 18:081 edit
    This matter of definitions—especially for such a slippery word as “spiritual”—will never be settled. And it is not new: the Stoics understood pneuma (and theos, for that matter) differently from the Christians, for example; and sometimes confusion is caused when folks from another tradition (such as Buddhism) attempt to translate their terms into conventional English.

Here is the (paltry) best that I can do at the moment:

Behind the dancing colors rendered
    in the many facets of the mind:
    clear light. Clear mind, clear Zen. And the dance
    of many hues—needs nothing added.
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 19:55
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think you'd be surprised how many "theists" are cultural theists only.
    That is true, but I don't believe things are as bad as all that. Billy Graham was quoted as saying that he believe about 10% of the people he had preached to and professed to be Christian would actually be in heaven when they died. Meaning no disrespect to Mr. Graham, I'm just not that pessimistic.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 01:34
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    That is true, but I don't believe things are as bad as all that. Billy Graham was quoted as saying that he believe about 10% of the people he had preached to and professed to be Christian would actually be in heaven when they died. Meaning no disrespect to Mr. Graham, I'm just not that pessimistic.
    What does 'cultural theist' connote or mean within the realm of spirituality?
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 01:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It seems rather odd then that you and Grampy seem intent on writing pages and pages about salvation and how to obtain it but practically nothing about this great white throne that was the object of the original question. It feels like a bait and switch.
    =============================
    ================================

It is pretty self explanatory. Just read it in Revelation 20.

Don't tell me that you are not told there what is essential to know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree