1. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 13:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    Besides, if we, the human race, didn't eff the world up so bad there would be ample resources to provide for all. There's not too many people, just too many idiots. Like the kind that breed indiscriminately at random and abandon their own children.
    If we were to breed like rabbits, then the resources will necessarily run out at some point. Human reproduction must at some point come down to an average of 2 children per woman or less, or we must find a new planet to live on.
    Luckily, most parts of the world have already stopped long term population growth and are currently growing solely as a result of ageing. Only Africa has continued its high birth rates.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 13:33
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If we were to breed like rabbits, then the resources will necessarily run out at some point. Human reproduction must at some point come down to an average of 2 children per woman or less, or we must find a new planet to live on.
    Luckily, most parts of the world have already stopped long term population growth and are currently growing solely as a result of ageing. Only Africa has continued its high birth rates.
    In Japan the WANT more children. The birth rate there is lower than the death rate so their population is going down every year with the result that the population has an ever increasing elderly component with less and less youth. That can only lead to stagnation. But it has to be a balancing act to achieve the right mix of youth V age and still not reproduce like rabbits where everyone has 6 kids. In that case you would have a smaller and smaller number of adults supporting a larger and larger numbers of human parasites unable to care for themselves for a couple of decades so that can't work either.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 14:311 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    In Japan the WANT more children.
    Only because they are racists. The rest of the developed world solves the problem by allowing immigration.

The birth rate there is lower than the death rate so their population is going down every year with the result that the population has an ever increasing elderly component with less and less youth. That can only lead to stagnation.
    Which is, for now, a good thing. I can see nothing wrong with the earth having a few less people - especially when it is not a result of early death such as war, famine or disease. In addition, with people living healthier longer, the retirement age can by raised. In Japan, they have also mechanized to a large degree which replaces many of the more manual jobs that were done by the youth in the past.

I see nothing wrong with a steadily reducing population at least until global populations come back down to about 5 billion. At some point of course we would need to start worrying, but probably only when we were down to under a million or so.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 14:39
    Only because they are racists. The rest of the developed world solves the problem by allowing immigration.

[b]The birth rate there is lower than the death rate so their population is going down every year with the result that the population has an ever increasing elderly component with less and less youth. That can only lead to stagnation.

Which i ...[text shortened]... e we would need to start worrying, but probably only when we were down to under a million or so.[/b]
    A million people on Earth would be a good thing.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 15:18
    Do you mean how do I know it was God that said those things and not just some men perpetrating an elaborate hoax on the entire human race that has lasted over 3500 years and has effected the lives of countless millions, and all simply because man is so fearful of natural phenomenon that he invented a God to explain what man didn't understand about his enviro ...[text shortened]... , and to create a religion for the purpose of controlling the ignorant and superstitious masses?
    A bit wordy if you ask me, but yes, basically that question.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 16:21
    Odd. God says to be fruitful and multiply, but the pope says not!

Who are we to believe?
    God told the FIRST humans to do that. You know, when there were only 2 of them and it was essential to their survival.

He sure as hell would not tell all 7 billion of the humans on earth now to 'multiply', if he has a shred of intelligence in that divine head of his.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 16:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/19/pope-birth-control-comments/22017365/

After getting lectured by the Pope to be PC around Muslims, we now are told not to have too many children.

When will the Catholic church start passing out rubbers in church and endorsing abortion?

If I did not know better, I would swear he is Obama's twin. Knowing who Obama's mother was, I may be right.
    Yeah I'm God's word says go out and multiply. That's why Catholics aren't Christians! Blasphemy to call himself the Vicar of Christ!
  8. Germany
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 16:53
    Does the number 8 BILLION mean anything to you? When is enough enough? What, 50 billion? Is THAT too many? A trillion? You tell me what you think is too many people on this planet.

Personally, I think ONE billion is pushing it.
    Pushing what?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 17:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Pushing what?
    Pushing the limits of sustainability of humans on our planet, like we are already using up about 50% of the resources of the planet. What kind of legacy are we going to leave future generations, say 1000 years from now if we use up all the oil, all the coal and such?
  10. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 17:09
    Can't god make people very small over time, that way we can multiply indefinitely.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 17:341 edit
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Can't god make people very small over time, that way we can multiply indefinitely.
    So why can't this god just make our planet a thousand times larger with the same gravity and atmosphere? You are poised on the very end of a very small limb.

Besides, what if this god was talking about math and not increasing the population? Be fruitful and multiply. Maybe that was the first hint at teaching us math. So we learned to multiply, then learned to divide, add, subtract, then got real crazy, learned to do square roots and the rest is history.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 17:53
    Pushing the limits of sustainability of humans on our planet, like we are already using up about 50% of the resources of the planet. What kind of legacy are we going to leave future generations, say 1000 years from now if we use up all the oil, all the coal and such?
    We can live just find without coal and oil. They are currently the cheapest sources of power in most places, but not for long.
    My guess would be that the planet can comfortably sustain 1 billion with the currently poor management systems, and a lot more with better management. But fewer people does mean more resources to go around.
  13. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 17:55
    So why can't this god just make our planet a thousand times larger with the same gravity and atmosphere? You are poised on the very end of a very small limb.

Besides, what if this god was talking about math and not increasing the population? Be fruitful and multiply. Maybe that was the first hint at teaching us math. So we learned to multiply, then learn ...[text shortened]... divide, add, subtract, then got real crazy, learned to do square roots and the rest is history.
    Why not do both? Think of the trillions who could praise him, not to mention the mega bucks the religions could make!
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 18:20
    Originally posted by OdBod
    Can't evolution do this?
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jan '15 18:26
    Nonsense, we just need to encourage duelling, lethally dangerous sports, discourage health and safety, and get the battle recreation types to stop messing around and do it for real. Then people could have as many children as they want.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree