1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:382 edits
    "If he were God or some other entity like God himself, he would have worded that differently and not have used the word Son. He would have said I am God or some part of him. But he didn't."

- Galveston75
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:42
    Ah, who gives a feck anyway.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:50
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    This article is seriously bogus. I remember this woman speaking to Australian television and newspapers. She quite explicitly said that the Pope had never contacted her and would probably not have remembered her. The bishop organising World Youth Day also apologised that she could not be accommodated in the Pope's timetable. I can't remember her saying she ...[text shortened]... nly ring a distant relative (how would he know that she is a JW anyway?) and not any others.
    so apart from your scepticism and lack of evidence you have nothing else to proffer. i offer a facsimile of the very newspaper, the reporters name, date of publication, which one of these are you disputing? the reporter doesn't exist, he did not write the article? The paper doesn't exist? The sister in question is not the Popes cousin? The Pope never spoke to her? He was an orphan and had no family? C'mon Conrau your aversions in this instance are particularly week being based on , well, no corroborative evidence other than your paranoia.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:51
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Ah, who gives a feck anyway.
    if you don't then why are you here disputing the matter?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 20:561 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if you don't then why are you here disputing the matter?
    Because I loathe him so. Everything he writes and opines makes me wince with terror.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:14
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Because I loathe him so. Everything he writes and opines makes me wince with terror.
    (2 Corinthians 2:15-16) . . .For to God we are a sweet odour of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;  to the latter ones an odour issuing from death to death, to the former ones an odour issuing from life to life.. . .

what is your understanding of this text? its historical context is rather interesting for it is taken from the practice of the Romans parading their prisoners through the streets. It has relevance to your objections.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:182 edits
    so apart from your scepticism and lack of evidence you have nothing else to proffer. i offer a facsimile of the very newspaper, the reporters name, date of publication, which one of these are you disputing? the reporter doesn't exist, he did not write the article? The paper doesn't exist? The sister in question is not the Popes cousin? The Pope particularly week being based on , well, no corroborative evidence other than your paranoia.
    To clarify, I acknowledge that the paper and the author exist (in fact, I read them.) The woman possibly also exists. What I dispute is the integrity of this article. I do not believe it exists. I cannot find it archived on the paper. I cannot find any copy in the Australian media, where this article is purported to come from.

I also find the content of the article implausible. I seriously doubt that the Pope would ring up a long-lost cousin when in fact there is another cousin in Australia whom he had met in 1985 yet did not contact. I also doubt he would make those comments about Jehovah's Witnesses.

The onus on you is to refer me to an authoritative archive containing this article. And even then, it would still take some more for me to believe her story.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:18
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    So far as I know Jesus never did while He walked the Earth. Are you aware of where He might have made this claim or are you just going on what Christians may have told you?
    I am sure you are right.

Now lets ask why galveston75 thinks the pope is God on earth, yet doesn't even give Jesus the same credit. Rather odd isn't it?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:24
    To clarify, I acknowledge that the paper and the author exist (in fact, I read them.) The woman possibly also exists. What I dispute is the integrity of this article. I do not believe it exists. I cannot find it archived on the paper. I cannot find any copy in the Australian media, where this article is purported to come from.

I also find the content of ...[text shortened]... taining this article. And even then, it would still take some more for me to believe her story.
    i gave a link to the facsimile of the paper, here it is again.

http://www.watchtowernews.org/popescousin.jpg
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:26
    i gave a link to the facsimile of the paper, here it is again.

http://www.watchtowernews.org/popescousin.jpg
    So what? I can't even see that it is Canberra Times. It's not archived there. I think you have been duped. This is clearly a hoax.
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am sure you are right.

Now lets ask why galveston75 thinks the pope is God on earth, yet doesn't even give Jesus the same credit. Rather odd isn't it?
    I never said I or my wife believe he is God. Read closer and slower what people say here. But I have known Catholics all my life and many, many JW's who used to be Catholics and they put him at a higher esteem then Jesus even to the point of praying to him instead of thru Jesus to God .
    And Conrau will dispute this and why I don't know since he does not believe in God anymore, but what he says Catholics believe may be what they are supposed to believe on paper but most Catholics believe the Pope is God or a representation of him on earth.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:30
    So what? I can't even see that it is Canberra Times. It's not archived there. I think you have been duped. This is clearly a hoax.
    A doubting Thomas here it seems...
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:31
    Never mind. Using a proper archive tool, I have found the relevant article and it checks out. I still remain skeptical of this woman's claims. I do not believe she was contacted at all.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:33
    Never mind. Using a proper archive tool, I have found the relevant article and it checks out. I still remain skeptical of this woman's claims. I do not believe she was contacted at all.
    Lol.....
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 21:35
    its clearly nothing of the sort, for one thing, the sisters apparel is real for you do not get a convention badge without affiliated and vetted by a congregation.Secondly the date of issue is given and the reporter is given , Markus Mannheim, The Canberra Times vol 21.08.2005, even the name of the photographer is given beneath the picture. Simply because you cannot see the Canberra Times sprawled across the header, is hardly evidence at all and we are therefore left with nothing but your suspicions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree