Popes cousin a Jehovahs Witness

Popes cousin a Jehovahs Witness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
16 Sep 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
Never mind. Using a proper archive tool, I have found the relevant article and it checks out. I still remain skeptical of this woman's claims. I do not believe she was contacted at all.
well well, no evidence other than unfounded suspicion, , how vewy vewy intwesting Mr Conrau.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Lol.....
You really think that the Pope rang up a cousin, one he hadn't seen in years (some forty years), on the eve of his election, to congratulate her as a Jehovah's Witness? Come on, surely you must think something suspect about the claim 'he encouraged me to my follow my faith' and said to her, ''You have halls [that are] not too big, but they are full. We have cathedrals, churches, chapels and they are empty'.' This is really inconsistent with what Pope Benedict has said publicly and privately about faith.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
well well, no evidence other than unfounded suspicion, , how vewy vewy intwesting Mr Conrau.
I think it is a very founded suspicion. As I said, whether the article is true or not, the claims by this woman are implausible. I do not think he rang her up. In fact, it was some time until he rang his own brother. I do not believe that he affirmed her faith as a Jehovah's Witness. This is the same man who wrote Dominus Iesu, arguing that Protestant Christian communities are defective. I simply do not believe the claims of an elderly woman living out in Canberra.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10
1 edit

By the way, this article only appears in the Canberra Times and the Sunday Mirror. Clearly not many other papers dared touch this rubbish.

rc

Moves
16 Sep 10
1 edit

By the way, this article only appears in the Canberra Times and the Daily Mail. Clearly not many other papers dared touch this rubbish.
Lol, you read them! by your own admission, and again i think its rather sensationalistic for you to term it rubbish, considering that you have no way of knowing whether the Pope spoke to his cousin or not, nor even what was said. So there! The Pope admires us and so should you!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10

Lol, you read them! by your own admission, and again i think its rather sensationalistic for you to term it rubbish, considering that you have no way of knowing whether the Pope spoke to his cousin or not, nor even what was said. So there! The Pope admires us and so should you!
You are right -- I don't know whether the Pope spoke to her. Of course, neither do you. All we have is the claim of one particular woman. For various reasons, her claims are implausible. The Pope did not ring other cousins. Another Australian cousin did not receive a call, and she had a much closer relationship, in fact, visiting him:

http://www.culturalcatholic.com/PopeCousin.htm

The claims of this woman are also inconsistent with what Pope Benedict has officially taught about ecumenical dialogue. I don't believe her and, it seems, neither does most of the media.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
16 Sep 10
1 edit

I think it's slightly odd to think that the Pope just rang her up out of the blue to basically say,

'The JW's are awesome'.

T

Moves
16 Sep 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am sure you are right.

Now lets ask why galveston75 thinks the pope is God on earth, yet doesn't even give Jesus the same credit. Rather odd isn't it?
Actually I think he's quoting his wife there, but it seems it was a gratuitous shot either way.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10
2 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
I never said I or my wife believe he is God. Read closer and slower what people say here. But I have known Catholics all my life and many, many JW's who used to be Catholics and they put him at a higher esteem then Jesus even to the point of praying to him instead of thru Jesus to God .
And Conrau will dispute this and why I don't know since he does n ...[text shortened]... lieve on paper but most Catholics believe the Pope is God or a representation of him on earth.
And Conrau will dispute this and why I don't know since he does not believe in God anymore, but what he says Catholics believe may be what they are supposed to believe on paper but most Catholics believe the Pope is God or a representation of him on earth.

Yes, I have dealt with this claim three times now. Catholics do not believe that the Pope is God or representation of Him on earth. Firstly, in terms of the average Catholic, this is quite false. 95% of Catholics practice contraception, for example, blithely ignoring the Pope's very explicit teaching against contraception. Secondly, the Catholic Church, in her official teachings, recognises that the Pope is human, can err and is himself prone to sin. He lays claim to the vicar of Christ in a special way because of the dogma of papal infallibility but this is a rarely exercised power and does not exclude the 'vicarage' of every bishop and every Catholic.

You are right. I do not believe in God. I do however like the Catholic Church. I think you very ignorantly criticise this church and I think it is nothing less than bigotry. That's why I call you out on these points. I am not an Orthodox Christian either but am very willing to defend their religion, or in fact any unjustly maligned religious group.

rc

Moves
16 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I think it's slightly odd to think that the Pope just rang her up out of the blue to basically say,

'The JW's are awesome'.
no more strange than whales evolving in the sea, coming to land, evolving there and then going back to the sea!

T

Moves
16 Sep 10
4 edits

[b]And Conrau will dispute this and why I don't know since he does not believe in God anymore, but what he says Catholics believe may be what they are supposed to believe on paper but most Catholics believe the Pope is God or a representation of him on earth.

Yes, I have dealt with this claim three times now. Catholics do not believe that the Pope is am very willing to defend their religion, or in fact any unjustly maligned religious group.[/b]
Not that I agree with much that G75 or RC say in general, but you do seem to lose perspective when it comes to defending the RCC. I finally had to give up on the last discussion where you were going to all lengths in order to do it including claiming that "greed" did not involve the possession of wealth, that "greed" is not a desire, that organizations do not have a "character", etc. You were arguing just about anything and everything no matter how absurd. Your defense here also seems to be going the same way.

rc

Moves
16 Sep 10
2 edits

You are right -- I don't know whether the Pope spoke to her. Of course, neither do you. All we have is the claim of one particular woman. For various reasons, her claims are implausible. The Pope did not ring other cousins. Another Australian cousin did not receive a call, and she had a much closer relationship, in fact, visiting him:

http://www.cultura ...[text shortened]... about ecumenical dialogue. I don't believe her and, it seems, neither does most of the media.
and the reasons for the implausibility are?

The Pope did not ring other cousins? compelling i must say!

someone else had a closer relationship? well then there would be no need to ring her then would there, she would have got the low-down when she visited him. All in all Conrau you have nothing. There is no ecumenical dialogue, that too is totally unfounded, for he was simply making the remark that he admires our work, if anything he marks a contrast, clutchety clutch my man, at strawety straw!

The fact of the matter is, the report was published in a known newspaper, there has been no official denial, far fetched claims like your own, founded on nothing more than a suspicion bordering on paranoia have sought to undermine the validity on the text but have no plausible reason to deny it other than you don't like its content.

The Pope told his cousin that he admired Jehovahs witnesses because of their work, that he digs us and if he was not the Pope he would take a Bible study and join us in the real work of bearing witness to the Christ.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Not that I agree with much that G75 or RC say in general, but you do seem to lose perspective when it comes to defending the RCC. I finally had to give up on the last discussion where you were going to all lengths in order to do it including claiming that "greed" did not involve the possession of wealth, that "greed" is not a desire, that organizations do ...[text shortened]... nd everything no matter how absurd. Your defense here also seems to be going the same way.
Well, to be honest, I wasn't actually presenting low-down on Catholic theology. I was simply demonstrating that not all vices are equal. I found it quite staggering that you could not at any point concede this fact.

I don't think you have perspective at all. I ask who do you mean by the Catholic Church, you respond, the Catholic Church as a whole. You really make absolutely no sense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Sep 10

and the reasons for the implausibility are?

The Pope did not ring other cousins? compelling i must say!

someone else had a closer relationship? well then there would be no need to ring her then would there, she would have got the low-down when she visited him. All in all Conrau you have nothing. There is no ecumenical dialogue, that too i ...[text shortened]... Pope he would take a Bible study and join us in the real work of bearing witness to the Christ.
someone else had a closer relationship? well then there would be no need to ring her then would there, she would have got the low-down when she visited him. All in all Conrau you have nothing. There is no ecumenical dialogue, that too is totally unfounded, for he was simply making the remark that he admires our work, if anything he marks a contrast, clutchety clutch my man, at strawety straw!

The other cousin visited him in 1985. Perhaps you are behind the news but the Pope was not elected until twenty years later. They did not catch up after then nor has there been any contact and in fact the bishop in charge of WYD had to apologise for this. So I really doubt that the Pope would ring this other cousin, whom he clearly has not seen in over forty years and probably does not remember.

Yes, the Catholic Church does engage in ecumenical dialogue with the Jehovah's Witness. Possibly you are just unsure what this means. I suggest you do some research before commenting.

The fact of the matter is, the report was published in a known newspaper, there has been no official denial, far fetched claims like your own, founded on nothing more than a suspicion bordering on paranoia have sought to undermine the validity on the text but have no plausible reason to deny it other than you don't like its content.

Indeed. It was published in a known newspaper. I doubt that the Pope reads the Canberra Times however and I doubt that any would want to embarrass this woman publicly by exposing her as a liar. It is quite obviously however a lie.

The Pope told his cousin that he admired Jehovahs witnesses because of their work, that he digs us and if he was not the Pope he would take a Bible study and join us in the real work of bearing witness to the Christ.

No. He didn't. The article mentions nothing of admiration and certainly nothing of even the slightest desire for conversion.

rc

Moves
16 Sep 10
1 edit

someone else had a closer relationship? well then there would be no need to ring her then would there, she would have got the low-down when she visited him. All in all Conrau you have nothing. There is no ecumenical dialogue, that too is totally unfounded, for he was simply making the remark that he admires our work, if anything he marks a contrast, cl ions nothing of admiration and certainly nothing of even the slightest desire for conversion.[/b]
i know Conrau, i know, i am just having some fun 🙂