Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Nov 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
The fact that you reject the Bible as your objective standard doesn’t mean that I do.
The fact that the Bible is an influence on you does not mean your moral code is objective. The Bible has been an influence on me, but it does not alter the fact that my moral code is subjective. The source, nature, purpose and application of our moral codes are essentially the same, for the reasons I have explained.

Moves
07 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
The fact that the Bible is an influence on you does not mean your moral code is objective. The Bible has been an influence on me, but it does not alter the fact that my moral code is subjective. The source, nature, purpose and application of our moral codes are essentially the same, for the reasons I have explained.
If the Bible clearly says that an action is wrong I will regard it as wrong regardless of what my personal feelings, tastes, or opinions on the matter may be. In that sense it is an objective standard to me. Nothing you say will change this fact.

F

Moves
07 Nov 17

If the Bible clearly says that an action is wrong I will regard it as wrong regardless of what my personal feelings, tastes, or opinions on the matter may be. In that sense it is an objective standard to me. Nothing you say will change this fact.
If you want to draw some comment from me on your personal opinions you should perhaps move the conversation along with something new. We have already discussed my take on your use of the words "objective" and "objectivity" - and others such as "absolute" and "universal" - as labels you like to attach to your subjective personal opinions and to add what you seem to think is some sort of gravitas to the common or garden subjectivity of your morals.

F

Moves
07 Nov 17

The fact that you reject the Bible as your objective standard doesn’t mean that I do.
I hear what you are saying and I understand what it is you believe. So then, when it comes to the way you use "objective" to describe your moral code, can we simply agree to disagree and perhaps talk about other things if they should arise?

Moves
07 Nov 17

If you want to draw some comment from me on your personal opinions you should perhaps move the conversation along with something new. We have already discussed my take on your use of the words "objective" and "objectivity" - and others such as "absolute" and "universal" - as labels you like to attach to your subjective personal opinions and to add what you seem to think is some sort of gravitas to the common or garden subjectivity of your morals.
An objective moral standard is clearly defined in philosophy of ethics. The fact that you reject the definition or its existence is merely a sign of your ignorance in the matter.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Morality#Absolutism

F

Moves
07 Nov 17
2 edits

An objective moral standard is clearly defined in philosophy of ethics. The fact that you reject the definition or its existence is merely a sign of your ignorance in the matter.
Like I said, I don't care if you got your moral ideas from a pamphlet someone handed you in the street, or a TV show, or something you read in a magazine that you bought in an airport, your morality has essentially the same source and purpose as mine, and both your morals and my morals are subjective.

Now, insisting that your opinions represent or are imbued with "an objective moral standard" may well boost your confidence as you navigate the dilemmas of everyday life, your personal opinions - and your liking for this text or that text - nevertheless do not create any standard that applies to anyone else.

This is because your moral character and code are just a synthesis of your background, your influences and your experience, so it's inherently personal, individual and subjective.

F

Moves
07 Nov 17

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Morality#Absolutism
Your notion that "that there is an absolute moral framework that applies (and has applied) to everybody in every place at every time" is your own personal, subjective opinion.

Moves
07 Nov 17

Like I said, I don't care if you got your moral ideas from a pamphlet someone handed you in the street, or a TV show, or something you read in a magazine that you bought in an airport, your morality has essentially the same source and purpose as mine, and both your morals and my morals are subjective.

Now, insisting that your opinions represent or are imbue ...[text shortened]... nd, your influences and your experience, so it's inherently personal, individual and subjective.
I am simply claiming that I regard the Bible as an objective moral standard. If you disagree with my claim feel free to prove that I don’t regard it as such.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Nov 17

Where does the Bible say rape is good?
Where did I say that the bible says rape is good?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Nov 17

So are you saying that even Hitler knew his actions were wrong?
So you are saying you accept that you were wrong when you claimed that Hitler thought his actions (presumably) relating to the Final Solution were morally right?

F

Moves
07 Nov 17

I am simply claiming that I regard the Bible as an objective moral standard. If you disagree with my claim feel free to prove that I don’t regard it as such.
... feel free to prove that I don’t regard [the Bible as an objective moral standard]

Whether you regard it to be this or whether you regard it to be that ~ whichever way your personal experience and preference happens to sway you ~ it's subjective. That you have used the word "regard" rather gives the game away: it's just your personal perception and opinion.

Moves
07 Nov 17

Originally posted by @avalanchethecat
Where did I say that the bible says rape is good?
What are you on about then ?

Moves
07 Nov 17

Originally posted by @avalanchethecat
So you are saying you accept that you were wrong when you claimed that Hitler thought his actions (presumably) relating to the Final Solution were morally right?
Hitler knows what he was thinking, we can only speculate.

Moves
07 Nov 17

[b]... feel free to prove that I don’t regard [the Bible as an objective moral standard]

Whether you regard it to be this or whether you regard it to be that ~ whichever way your personal experience and preference happens to sway you ~ it's subjective. That you have used the word "regard" rather gives the game away: it's just your personal perception and opinion.[/b]
Can any standard that does exist be ragarded as an objective standard in your opinion or is every single standard that exists subjective?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
07 Nov 17
1 edit

What are you on about then ?
The word I used was 'ambivalent'. You really should read the posts you are responding to. Still, your apparent failure to comprehend does have the benefit of enabling you to dodge what must be difficult question for you, so there's that.