1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 16:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Maybe if you actually committed to a position there would be no confusion or mischaracterizations.
    You don't seem confused, you just seem to be using deceitful and underhand debating techniques.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 19:31
    Originally posted by @avalanchethecat
    You don't seem confused, you just seem to be using deceitful and underhand debating techniques.
    Ok so why don’t you clearly state what your position is rather than being vague about it?
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    10 Nov '17 20:47
    Ok so why don’t you clearly state what your position is rather than being vague about it?
    The question currently under consideration is from where do you derive your moral certainty regarding rape given that your scripture is ambivalent on the subject. On what subject are you interested in my views?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Nov '17 17:04
    The question currently under consideration is from where do you derive your moral certainty regarding rape given that your scripture is ambivalent on the subject. On what subject are you interested in my views?
    Given up on this one then have you beckerjunk?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 09:43
    The question currently under consideration is from where do you derive your certainty that the scriptures are ambivalent on the subject of rape.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:09
    The question currently under consideration is from where do you derive your certainty that the scriptures are ambivalent on the subject of rape.
    I wondered how you were going to deal with that point. Obviously you are just going to deny it, of course, you really have no other option do you? And hey, here's an idea, why not try constructing your own sentences?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:19
    I wondered how you were going to deal with that point. Obviously you are just going to deny it, of course, you really have no other option do you? And hey, here's an idea, why not try constructing your own sentences?
    There is always the option of backing up your assertions if you could.
  8. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:32
    There is always the option of backing up your assertions if you could.
    They're not my assertions. You know full well that the bible does not unequivocally condemn rape and slavery, and that many people have espoused interpretations condoning both acts.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:412 edits
    They're not my assertions. You know full well that the bible does not unequivocally condemn rape and slavery, and that many people have espoused interpretations condoning both acts.
    Deuteronomy 22:25-27

But if in the open country a man meets a young woman who is betrothed, and the man seizes her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die. But you shall do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no offense punishable by death.

Both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing,” which is what happened in Africa in the 16th to 19th centuries. Africans were rounded up by slave-hunters, who sold them to slave-traders, who brought them to the New World to work on plantations and farms. This practice is abhorrent to God. In fact, the penalty for such a crime in the Mosaic Law was death: “Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-slavery.html
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:51
    Deuteronomy 22:25-27

But if in the open country a man meets a young woman who is betrothed, and the man seizes her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die. But you shall do nothing to the young woman; she has committed no offense punishable by death.

Both the Old and New Testaments condemn the practice of “man-stealing,” whic ...[text shortened]... caught must be put to death” (Exodus 21:16).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-slavery.html
    Yep, read it all before, and I'm equally sure that you've read the arguments which condone both rape and slavery. That's the point. There are arguments for both positions. That's what unequivocal means.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:54
    Yep, read it all before, and I'm equally sure that you've read the arguments which condone both rape and slavery. That's the point. There are arguments for both positions. That's what unequivocal means.
    Give me what you think are the best arguments that condone rape and slavery.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:57
    Give me what you think are the best arguments that condone rape and slavery.
    No i'm not interested in another discussion with you. My point is made by virtue of the existence of those arguments.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 16:59
    No i'm not interested in another discussion with you. My point is made by virtue of the existence of those arguments.
    Well the fact that 'arguments exist' do not mean they are justified at all, but I'm sure you know that and if you thought the arguments carried any weight you wouldn't have hesitated to share them.
  14. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    12 Nov '17 22:35
    Well the fact that 'arguments exist' do not mean they are justified at all, but I'm sure you know that and if you thought the arguments carried any weight you wouldn't have hesitated to share them.
    Still not interested
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 03:42
    Still not interested
    I would be either if I were you considering the 'arguments' I would have to try to defend.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree