1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    A moment ago you were claiming that god's existence was just as likely as his non-existence. Now you're saying you won't go into which is more likely. It seems we are making some progress.
    he's wrong and you are wrong. you can not compare the probability of something with two possibilities with something with six possibilities. but you can compare something with two possibilities with something else that has six possibilities.
  2. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:44
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    there is a difference between this and what dr. scribbles said, dr. scribbles says the die can be either a 3 or not a 3, but there is 5 other possiblities. with this one, there is two possibilities, his theory is flawed. God can not half-exist, he either does or he doesnt. since there is only two possibilities, it should be compared to a coin, not a die. when you flip a coin it is either heads or tails and has a 50% chance to land on heads.
    You are assuming there is only one possible god.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:46
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    You are assuming there is only one possible god.
    whether it is one God or many Gods, it does not change the fact that it is a 50/50 chance that one God or many Gods exists.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:46
    he's wrong and you are wrong. you can not compare the probability of something with two possibilities with something with six possibilities. but you can compare something with two possibilities with something else that has six possibilities.
    1 no god
    2 one god
    3 two gods
    4 and so on to an infinity minus one number of gods
  5. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:48
    whether it is one God or many Gods, it does not change the fact that it is a 50/50 chance that one God or many Gods exists.
    Ah , but there might even be a negative god, one that sucks the godhood out of the positive god , and vice-versa.
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:49
    Ah , but there might even be a negative god, one that sucks the godhood out of the positive god , and vice-versa.
    what do you mean?
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 21:54
    what do you mean?
    simply using the duality of things to cancel out god.

a negative and a positive do indeed cancel each other out.
    AND a negative god is just as likely an occurance as a positive god
    AND so is the occurance of them both non-existing because of the other's possible existence.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 22:001 edit
    simply using the duality of things to cancel out god.

a negative and a positive do indeed cancel each other out.
    AND a negative god is just as likely an occurance as a positive god
    AND so is the occurance of them both non-existing because of the other's possible existence.
    they repel, not just cancel eachother out.
    Edit: also if there WAS a negative God that cancelled out God, then why isnt there a negative you that cancels you out? or a negative everything to cancel out everything? i dont think that is relevant to the probablility of the existance of God or Gods.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 22:04
    there is a difference between this and what dr. scribbles said, dr. scribbles says the die can be either a 3 or not a 3, but there is 5 other possiblities. with this one, there is two possibilities, his theory is flawed. God can not half-exist, he either does or he doesnt. since there is only two possibilities, it should be compared to a coin, not a die. when you flip a coin it is either heads or tails and has a 50% chance to land on heads.
    I believe a 3 will be rolled. It either will, or it will not. But it is clearly not a 50/50 chance. It doesn't make any difference how may variables there are in 'not 3.'

Let's look at a few others. I say you will die from a heart attack within 2 hours. Either you will, or you won't. Does it therefore stand that there is a 50/50 chance that you will die from a heart attack within 2 hours? Clearly not. Even though it's an either/or proposition, the odds of you having a heart attack in that timeframe are very small. Certainly less than 1%.

I say that if you buy a lottery ticket that you will win. Either you will win, or you won't. Do you think there's a 50/50 chance that you will win? Because there are two possible outcomes, it does not follow that each outcome has an equal probability.

I hope you can see where this is going.

Plus you are leaving your particular god as the only option. Let's add a Viking into the equation. You say a christian god exists. The Viking says Thor exists. And I say that no gods exist. Do we now each have a 33.3% chance of being right? If the Viking says that both Thor and Odin exist, do all of our chances drop to 25%?
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 22:11
    I believe a 3 will be rolled. It either will, or it will not. But it is clearly not a 50/50 chance. It doesn't make any difference how may variables there are in 'not 3.'

Let's look at a few others. I say you will die from a heart attack within 2 hours. Either you will, or you won't. Does it therefore stand that there is a 50/50 chance that you will die ...[text shortened]... t? If the Viking says that both Thor and Odin exist, do all of our chances drop to 25%?
    God or Gods, it is a 50% chance that a God or Gods exist. also flipping a coin depends on nothing but luck, a heart attack depends on how obyss somebody is ect. and isnt the lottery done by dropping the ball in or w/e and one comes out and has a certain number or something? that doesnt apply since there is who knows how many possibilities with that, when comparing with the existance or non-existance of a God or Gods, there should be only two.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 22:17

Let's look at a few others. I say you will die from a heart attack within 2 hours. Either you will, or you won't. Does it therefore stand that there is a 50/50 chance that you will die ...[text shortened]... t? If the Viking says that both Thor and Odin exist, do all of our chances drop to 25%?
    We need to apply probability theory when there uncertainty. But if there certainity the probability is 1 and it doesn't make sense to apply mathmatics or theories.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 23:171 edit
    they repel, not just cancel eachother out.
    Edit: also if there WAS a negative God that cancelled out God, then why isnt there a negative you that cancels you out? or a negative everything to cancel out everything? i dont think that is relevant to the probablility of the existance of God or Gods.
    relevence was not posed as a possibility, and since I am here and not charged either positively or negatively your point is not relevant.

edit added an "r"
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Nov '06 23:35
    God or Gods, it is a 50% chance that a God or Gods exist. also flipping a coin depends on nothing but luck, a heart attack depends on how obyss somebody is ect. and isnt the lottery done by dropping the ball in or w/e and one comes out and has a certain number or something? that doesnt apply since there is who knows how many possibilities with that, when comparing with the existance or non-existance of a God or Gods, there should be only two.
    willful stupidity is far worse than plain ignorance.

If we lived in a perfect world, you would have a large 'S' branded on your forehead with a red-hot iron.
  14. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 02:39
    Good God Almighty.
  15. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Nov '06 04:29
    willful stupidity is far worse than plain ignorance.

If we lived in a perfect world, you would have a large 'S' branded on your forehead with a red-hot iron.
    a die has 6 sides, that is it can be 1,2,3,4,5,6. with god(s) there is two possibilities, he exists or he does not exist. you can not compare the two together. but when you flip a coin, you have two possibilites; heads or tails. so the appropriate comparison is the coin, you get heads or tails. it is a %50 chance that the coin is heads and vice-versa, it is a %50 chance that god(s) exist(s).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree