1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 06:402 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't know what you mean by 'an individual human being's immaterial soul'. I have asked many times on this forum what theist mean by a soul and got many different answers, none of which made a whole lot of sense.
    I think I have already explained what I think about thoughts and consciousness if that is what you are talking about. If not, be more specific about what you mean by 'soul'.
    I don't know what you mean by 'an individual human being's immaterial soul'

Same "soul" referenced below:
    "The Makropulos Case: Reflections on the Tedium of Immortality"

"This essay started life as a lecture in a series ‘on the immortality of the soul or kindred spiritual subject’. My kindred spiritual subject is, one might say, the mortality of the soul..." (Quote from my post of LemonJello's Book on page 3)
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 06:541 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

"This essay started life as a lecture in a series ‘on the immortality of the soul or kindred spiritual subject’. My kindred ...[text shortened]... the mortality of the soul..." (Quote from my post of LemonJello's Book on page 3)
    Grampy Bobby, do you think the "soul" is a supernatural thing ~ in some shape or form? If so, can you expand upon your personal definition?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 07:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Grampy Bobby, do you think the "soul" is a supernatural thing ~ in some shape or form? If so, can you expand upon your personal definition?
    Well I'm presently considering the merits of the definition: "all that stuff goes *poof*".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 07:13
    Well I'm presently considering the merits of the definition: "all that stuff goes *poof*".
    A cop out from you, as expected. 🙂
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 08:34

"This essay started life as a lecture in a series ‘on the immortality of the soul or kindred spiritual subject’. My kindred ...[text shortened]... the mortality of the soul..." (Quote from my post of LemonJello's Book on page 3)
    Sorry, but that is not helpful in any way.
    Please give a summary of what you think 'an individual human being's immaterial soul' is without extensive quotes from people whose writings you don't support or will not defend.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 09:35
    Sorry, but that is not helpful in any way.
    Please give a summary of what you think 'an individual human being's immaterial soul' is without extensive quotes from people whose writings you don't support or will not defend.
    .... soul life: the immaterial innermost part of mankind created by God and imparted immediately to the fetus at birth.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 09:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    A cop out from you, as expected. 🙂
    You expected to be ignored.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 10:24
    .... soul life: the immaterial innermost part of mankind created by God and imparted immediately to the fetus at birth.
    Can you clarify a bit more by answering some questions:
    1. Does the soul have any influence on my thinking or consciousness?
    2. If my brain were cut in half would I have two souls, or still just one?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:055 edits

I have to step in here brother Grampy. No the SOUL of man is emphatically not the innermost part of mankind created by God. That is precisely one of the major misunderstandings that very many people have.

The human spirit is the innermost part of man created by God.

That there is something deeper than the soul, deeper than the mind, emotion, and will, something of an "organ" created by God to touch God, contact God and receive God, that is what is critical to see in the Bible.

The human spirit is deeper than the soul. And it is the human spirit that needs to be regenerated from its comatose deadened condition.

Should I start another thread on that or discuss it here ?

The Tripartite man http://www.tripartiteman.org/
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:071 edit
    You expected to be ignored.
    Sometimes you run away from a conversation, sometimes you say stuff but it's a cop out. These are the two things that can be expected in pretty much all cases. 🙂
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:112 edits
    Can you clarify a bit more by answering some questions:
    1. Does the soul have any influence on my thinking or consciousness?
    2. If my brain were cut in half would I have two souls, or still just one?
    Now you implied that you wanted to be listened to.

Now are you going to heap up questions to DO more listening to him or express your own ideas much more to be listened TO ?

Only when you listen, will you also get people to listen to you.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:30
    Originally posted by sonship
    Now you implied that you wanted to be listened to.

Now are you going to heap up questions to DO more listening to him or express your own ideas much more to be listened TO ?
    I am heaping up questions in order to understand what he means by the soul. His response so far is far too vague for me to do anything with.

Can you give a more descriptive account of what the soul is? See if you can do it without quoting vast volumes of scripture and getting side tracked into preaching.

My questions are simply and straightforward and I see no reason why you would object to answering them in the interest of clarity.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:33
    I must add that Grampy has asked us a question regarding our future permanent address. It now appears he is not talking about me as a human being but some part of me he calls my soul. If I do not know what this 'soul' is, how can I hope to answer his question? And why would I even care what its future address might be if I don't know what it is?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:452 edits
    I am heaping up questions in order to understand what he means by the soul. His response so far is far too vague for me to do anything with.

I understand. But you will only end up doing more and more and more listening.

You tell him about the soul. Come out and get us all clear about the soul. " Listen to somebody." That's your objection as I heard it.

So you have the floor and he's all ears. Tell us about the soul.

Can you give a more descriptive account of what the soul is? See if you can do it without quoting vast volumes of scripture and getting side tracked into preaching.

Yea. But how about you come out of that walled up fortress of agnosticism and vagary just waiting for us to be inconsistent ?

You like to play the viper curled up in his den challenging the Christian to try to drag you out. So Grampy now steps back from the den to listen to you.

Come out and start explaining your position without asking for more volumes of speculation from him, why don't you?

You want to be listened to. Start talking. We'll shut up and listen.
    But "Explain this" and "explain that" and "explain the other" and "jump through this hoop now" and " jump through that hoop now" is just more waiting for some inevitable inconsistency.

My questions are simply and straightforward and I see no reason why you would object to answering them in the interest of clarity.

Hmmm.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:54
    Why is the question ignored? If 'soul' is as real as pepper and salt, then why is the answer so hard to come by? Come on, is it really so rare, this 'soul', so noone knows what it is?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree