1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 08:10
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And what is you opinion on the morality of promiscuity?
    I am aligned with the NT teaching that it is immoral.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 08:122 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    How, and importantly, why was marriage a "game changer" for you personally, in terms of your promiscuity?
    There are four Divine Institutions which are applicable to the human race: 1) Volition [free will]; 2) Marriage [between one man and one woman]; 3) Family; 4) Protection of the National Entity from external threats with an overwhelming military force and from internal threads by an objective judicial system and law enforcement.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 08:16
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    There are four Divine Institutions which are applicable to the human race: 1) Volition [free will]; 2) Marriage [between one man and one woman]; 3) Family; 4) Protection of the National Entity from external threats with an overwhelming military force and from internal threads by an objective judicial system and law enforcement.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you mean to reply to my post?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 08:37
    There are four Divine Institutions which are applicable to the human race: [...] 2) Marriage [between one man and one woman] ...
    Obviously I have no reason to believe that marriage is a "divine institution". Marriage for all intents and purposes is a social convention/construct and a certain kind of promise or commitment made between two people. The demographics of human sexuality being what they are, it's more often than not between a man and a woman, but I don't think it has to be. "Sex" and "marriage" are not synonymous ~ this thread is about promiscuity rather than marriage. If you think sex outside marriage is immoral, then you should just say so, and if so, why.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 09:09
    A legendary post!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 09:163 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Is it immoral and why/why not.

Personally I think it is a perfectly sound way to live.
    Promiscuity is one example of a class of high-risk behaviors,” says Deirdre Lee Fitzgerald, PhD, assistant professor of psychology at Eastern Connecticut State University in Willimantic. “It is comparable to, and may coincide with, behaviors such as heavy drinking, gambling, and other thrill-seeking behaviors like driving too fast."

Here a rundown of physical risks you face from promiscuity:

STDs. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 19 million new STD infections occur each year. Among the most common STDs are chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis, but the most common of all is the human papillomavirus (HPV). HPV can infect the mouth or the genitals, and most people do not know they are infected. HPV has been linked to cervical cancer and to oral and throat cancers.
    HIV and AIDS. Being promiscuous and having STDs both increase your susceptibility to the AIDS virus. Despite better education and treatment, AIDS still killed more than 14,000 Americans in 2007.
    Other health conditions. If promiscuity is combined with other risky behaviors like smoking, heavy drinking, substance abuse, not getting enough sleep, and poor diet, it can contribute to several chronic diseases including heart disease.
    Physical abuse. Research shows the couples who are in long-term relationships are much less likely to suffer from domestic violence.

How Promiscuity Affects Emotional Health

And that risk extends to your emotional health as well. "The impact of these high risk behaviors on one’s emotional health includes making dangerous choices that lead to more and more risk. This cycle can lead to problems with self-concept, ineffective relationships, and even depression," notes Fitzgerald.

With depression, the door swings both ways: Promiscuity may actually be a symptom of depression. And obviously, having multiple sexual partners makes it difficult to sustain a healthy relationship. Studies show that people in long-term, healthy relationships enjoy better health and greater longevity.

Despite the emphasis that society puts on sexuality, the best emotional, physical, and sexual health can be found in long-term relationships. If you find yourself jumping from relationship to relationship, you should consider the price you could be paying in both sexual health and longevity.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/longevity/can-promiscuity-threaten-longevity.aspx

One notes the Bibles wise and pertinent advice,

to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!” - Acts 15:29 - New World translation of the Holy Scriptures.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 09:17
    I am aligned with the NT teaching that it is immoral.
    Does morality equate to sin in your eyes?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 09:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/longevity/can-promiscuity-threaten-longevity.aspx
    Can you base a few unequivocal declarations on morality based on the information in your copy pasted material that reflect your stance on the morality of promiscuity?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:061 edit
    Does morality equate to sin in your eyes?
    Fornication is sin.
    I don't have a biblical reference for morality vs sin.

Do you agree with the OP and think promiscuity is a sound philosophy/way to live?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:19
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Did you mean to reply to my post?
    "How, and importantly, why was marriage a "game changer" for you personally, in terms of your promiscuity?" ~divegeester
    _________

Yes.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:451 edit
    "How, and importantly, why was marriage a "game changer" for you personally, in terms of your promiscuity?" ~divegeester
    _________

Yes.
    Do you think your marriage might not have stood the test of time ~ or that you might have been unfaithful ~ if you had not looked upon it as a "Divine Institution"?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:482 edits
    I agree. The immorality is not the sex but breaking any commitments we might have made to someone else and the fact that breaking said commitments can bring a lot of pain to them.
    Some might say that engaging in a potentially life altering activity inherently implies commitment.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 11:52
    How, and importantly, why was marriage a "game changer" for you personally, in terms of your promiscuity?
    I think twhitehead summed it up pretty well; "The immorality is not the sex but breaking any commitments we might have made to someone else and the fact that breaking said commitments can bring a lot of pain to them."

Promiscuity before entering a committed relationship could be argued as being healthy and natural (as long as done safely and legally) and that we grow though such experiences in preparation for a committed relationship and ending up with a compatible partner where trust and fidelity can be established.

I have been married for 12 years and never been unfaithful. Perhaps this would not be so if i hadn't got things 'out of my system when young and grown as a person.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 12:08
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Promiscuity before entering a committed relationship could be argued as being healthy and natural (as long as done safely and legally) and that we grow though such experiences in preparation for a committed relationship and ending up with a compatible partner where trust and fidelity can be established.
    Agreed.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '16 12:29
    _________

Yes.
    As a self professed sales and marketing executive, I would have thought you could recognise the difference between an open and a closed question.

But please continue to evade on topic open debate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree