1. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:46
    This may seem obvious, but that shows what I know. How do Atheists cope with the idea of death? I mean, when my mind wanders through various topics, I tremble at the idea of death, but then I feel reassured by the idea of Christian heaven, and then when I have my skeptical moments about Christianity, I have to wrestle with the idea even more...

Anyway, I know it all sounds a bit cheesy, but how do you do it?
  2. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:56
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    This may seem obvious, but that shows what I know. How do Atheists cope with the idea of death? I mean, when my mind wanders through various topics, I tremble at the idea of death, but then I feel reassured by the idea of Christian heaven, and then when I have my skeptical moments about Christianity, I have to wrestle with the idea even more...

you accept it
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:571 edit
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    you accept it
    How? We all don't go through Job moments...

Edit: Maybe I'm misphrasing this, but I'm not sure how else to phrase it... 😕
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:58

Personally, what EcstremeVenom said.

You accept it, and get on with your life.

Personally, I don't think about it all that much - no big plans.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:591 edit

We are but vessels for our eggs and sperm so our ultimate goal is to get copies of those two things as far into the future as possible. Having done that, you will live on in memory and being in another and may even be remembered for your works.
    no need to have to invoke some god when we already have a sense of genetic immortality.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 01:59

While I hope to continue to live for many years, I don't find the thought that I'll be gone some day terrifying in any way. If there is no afterlife, I just won't be anymore, so what is there to fear? In fact, eternal life sounds more terrifying to me. It's hard to imagine for me that I wouldn't grow tired of life some day.
  7. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    While I hope to continue to live for many years, I don't find the thought that I'll be gone some day terrifying in any way. If there is no afterlife, I just won't be anymore, so what is there to fear? In fact, eternal life sounds more terrifying to me. It's hard to imagine for me that I wouldn't grow tired of life some day.
    I understand what you are saying; I don't like the idea of eternal life either. Maybe it's just something construed in my head... 😕

I guess when I just think about the idea of one of these days I "won't be," so to speak, I'll just "be" again, but then it hits me that I won't. Aaaah, maybe it's just stupid redundancy...I don't know. I'll see if I can phrase it better later.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:07
    I understand what you are saying; I don't like the idea of eternal life either. Maybe it's just something construed in my head... 😕

I guess when I just think about the idea of one of these days I "won't be," so to speak, I'll just "be" again, but then it hits me that I won't. Aaaah, maybe it's just stupid redundancy...I don't know. I'll see if I can phrase it better later.
    eternal life is scary whether it is in heaven or hell because if you go to heaven after an eternity you probably have done everything and will ask yourself "now what?"; like somebody who seeks revenge and finally gets it but now has lost his purpose.
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:08

The universe existed for billions of years before I was born and that didn't bother me in the slightest. I expect that being dead will be more of the same.
  10. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:10
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The universe existed for billions of years before I was born and that didn't bother me in the slightest. I expect that being dead will be more of the same.
    good answer. have you ever tried to remember what it was like before you existed? it blows your mind, probably cuz you can't remember something before you were born but it is cool
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:101 edit
    "now what"
    EXACTLY!

Even though I didn't fully read your post, that was what I needed to see that made it click...the problem is grasping the idea of "now what?" The belief in certain religions offers reassurance for this, but what do atheists do?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:10
    eternal life is scary whether it is in heaven or hell because if you go to heaven after an eternity you probably have done everything and will ask yourself "now what?"; like somebody who seeks revenge and finally gets it but now has lost his purpose.
    The idea of some so-called religious person promising eternal life if you believe in his religion is just another form of bribe. A bribe and nothing more, a sick vision to gain converts and more political and monetary power. Show me a modern religion promising eternal life and I'll show you a religion of killers. Maybe a minority but killers just the same.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:13
    EXACTLY!

Even though I didn't fully read your post, that was what I needed to see that made it click...the problem is grasping the idea of "now what?" The belief in certain religions offers reassurance for this, but what do atheists do?
    when i was little i was terrified every time i thought about dying and eternity, so i just stopped thinking about it. but when i think of it now i dont get scared
  14. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The idea of some so-called religious person promising eternal life if you believe in his religion is just another form of bribe. A bribe and nothing more, a sick vision to gain converts and more political and monetary power. Show me a modern religion promising eternal life and I'll show you a religion of killers. Maybe a minority but killers just the same.
    I understand your viewpoint...it all goes back to belief.
  15. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    09 Apr '07 02:17
    when i think of it now i dont get scared
    Maybe it's my lack of life experience...seriously.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree