Question For Atheists

Question For Atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

The sky

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
We are but vessels for our eggs and sperm so our ultimate goal is to get copies of those two things as far into the future as possible. Having done that, you will live on in memory and being in another and may even be remembered for your works.
no need to have to invoke some god when we already have a sense of genetic immortality.
You sound like Arrakis. 😞 I have never really understood this striving for immortality, be it your own or some sort of genetic immortality which of course you won't live to see anyway. As I work with children and try to improve their life, it is likely that the effects of my work will last longer than my own life. But I rather see this as a side-effect of my work than as a goal. I see it as just as valuable and meaningful to help a dying child. It doesn't change the future, but it changes the present. It doesn't make sense to me to value the future more than the present.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by wittywonka
This may seem obvious, but that shows what I know. How do Atheists cope with the idea of death? I mean, when my mind wanders through various topics, I tremble at the idea of death, but then I feel reassured by the idea of Christian heaven, and then when I have my skeptical moments about Christianity, I have to wrestle with the idea even more...

Anyway, I know it all sounds a bit cheesy, but how do you do it?
This is how my EMT book says that most people cope by emotion.

The Five Emotional Stages
1. Denial (not me.)
2. Anger (Why Me?)
3. Bargaining (Okay, but first let me....)
4. Depression (Okay, but I haven't....)
5. Acceptance (Okay, I am not afraid)

DMM

USA

Moves
09 Apr 07

dinosaur!!!!!!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
You sound like Arrakis. 😞 I have never really understood this striving for immortality, be it your own or some sort of genetic immortality which of course you won't live to see anyway. As I work with children and try to improve their life, it is likely that the effects of my work will last longer than my own life. But I rather see this as a side-effect of m ...[text shortened]... t changes the present. It doesn't make sense to me to value the future more than the present.
That is not a goal, genetic immortality, it's a fact, at least if you have children and the human race doesn't die off in the next thousand years or so. I was just pointing out you don't need to constantly referance a god to define each individual existance. It's not especially a big deal with me personally. I live my life as best as I can, knowing it will end someday, hopefully a long ways in the future but not worrying about it much.

Bla bla bla

Moves
10 Apr 07

atheist is just another word for ignorant

DMM

USA

Moves
10 Apr 07

2 DINOSAURS!!!!

S

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by bot 6
Wow, and bot 6 is just another name for moron, see how that works?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by bot 6
Pray tell why?

I'm interested to hear your logic surrounding this one.

I mean, I'm an atheist. I have a PhD. Am I ignorant? My PhD supervisor had a PhD too, and was also an atheist. Is he ignorant? In fact, most of the educated people I know are atheists.

E

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Pray tell why?

I mean, I'm an atheist. I have a PhD. Am I ignorant? My PhD supervisor had a PhD too, and was also an atheist. Is he ignorant? In fact, most of the educated people I know are atheists.
some atheists might be ignorant about religions

S

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
Everyone's ignorant about something, but that's not the same as claiming atheists are equivalent to ignoramuses.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
That's true. And some Christians will be ignorant of, say, the Muslim religion, or the Shinto religion.

That doesn't make the person universally ignorant though.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
10 Apr 07

I'm ignorant of how the trinity is supposed to work. But then again, so is everybody else.

E

Moves
11 Apr 07

That's true. And some Christians will be ignorant of, say, the Muslim religion, or the Shinto religion.

That doesn't make the person universally ignorant though.
i can name a few

Bla bla bla

Moves
11 Apr 07

Pray tell why?

honestly i think atheist actually do believe in God, they just don't want anything to do with religion....

Bla bla bla

Moves
11 Apr 07

Pray tell why?

phd is just another word for talking out of my a$$, anyone can philosophy....im talking about being ignorant about the universe.