1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Nov '13 20:50
    we all know you guys think the earth and life was created by magic and you often seem to poo poo scientific theory on how the earth could have formed and how life could evolve.

so my question is - do you think other planets in the universe can form using the theories put forward and accepted by science and do you think life could evolve on these planets?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Nov '13 21:45
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    we all know you guys think the earth and life was created by magic and you often seem to poo poo scientific theory on how the earth could have formed and how life could evolve.

so my question is - do you think other planets in the universe can form using the theories put forward and accepted by science and do you think life could evolve on these planets?
    NO

The Instructor
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 01:02
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

But according to many scientists the universe itself came from nothing, isn't that a kind of magic? I've seen quite a few variations of this idea, but I've never actually seen a something from nothing theory that didn't include something that caused nothing to produce something. If I were to automatically poo poo anything, it would have to be all of the nonsensical so called scientific something from nothing theories.

Aliens seeding the planet became a seriously considered theory after evolution became more and more difficult to prove... the advancement of science has not been kind to evolution. But you probably wouldn't know that if you didn't know much about science, and only listened to the true believers.

I think if any aliens did show up, and we asked them if they were the ones who seeded our planet, they might ask us where we were when God handed out the brains.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 01:10
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    . If I were to automatically poo poo anything, it would have to be all of the nonsensical so called scientific something from nothing theories.

Educate yourself

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/science/something-from-nothing-is-a-quantum-possibility
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 01:34
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Educate yourself

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/science/something-from-nothing-is-a-quantum-possibility
    I've studied and kept up with science developments (evolution in particular) since I was 12. So, what new earth shattering or game changing development over the past two or three years would you like me to become acquainted with?

By the way, just because it involves quantum mechanics, that doesn't mean something can now magically come into existence from nothing. Everything in physics (including quantum mechanics) operate by discovered (and as yet undiscovered) rules, and have limitations. Like it or not, not everything you can imagine as being possible will turn out to be true. You cannot create new conditions for reality by simply imagining those conditions, it doesn't work that way.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 01:47
    I've studied and kept up with science developments (evolution in particular)
    By the way, just because it involves quantum mechanics, that doesn't mean something can now magically come into existence from nothing. .
    Why suddenly mention evolution?

Quantum Mechanics does predict something from nothing. Start reading!
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:07

I think you're forgetting where you are. I'm not one of your students, and this isn't your classroom. Telling someone to "Shut up" and commanding them to read your assignments is not one of your privileges here.

I have trouble getting to many of the internet addresses I've seen posted at these boards, so there may be a problem with my computer, but it's more likely I haven't learned how to make it work properly. And now I suppose you're equating my ignorance of the internet with ignorance of what you would like me to read... as stupid as that sounds, I wouldn't put it passed you.

But how about this, in your own words tell me how it is possible for something to come into existence from nothing. Or maybe you could cut and paste the article you want me to read in one of your messages... that should be easy for a smart person like you. 😛
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:12

Care to define nothing for me?

As I define it, it is the lack of all things.
    It is not a place holder for all things, because that would be something.
    Nor is it a field of this, that, and the other things, where much of
    everything else was, because all of those things would be something.
    Nothing to even describe it gives it shape making it something.
    So this void of everything some how changed into something would be
    at least in my humble opinion much more magical than suggesting that
    God eternal acted.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:241 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Care to define nothing for me?

As I define it, it is the lack of all things.
    It is not a place holder for all things, because that would be something.
    Nor is it a field of this, that, and the other things, where much of
    everything else was, because all of those things would be something.
    Nothing to even describe it gives it shape making it something. ...[text shortened]...
    at least in my humble opinion much more magical than suggesting that
    God eternal acted.
    Kelly
    The only something from nothing theory involving quantum mechanics (that I am aware of) assumes the existence of a vast sea of virtual particles... and apparently we are to believe this vast theoretical sea of virtual particles is equal to nothing.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:31
    The only something from nothing theory involving quantum mechanics I am aware of assumes the existence of a vast sea of virtual particles... and apparently we are to believe this vast theoretical sea of virtual particles is equal to nothing.
    Virtual particles, or imaginary particles, nothing is still less. 🙂
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:54
    I've studied and kept up with science developments
    You are full of it aren't you?
    Can't operate a computer and know nothing about QM.
    yet
    "... kept up with science developments ..."
    🙄
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:55
    I think you're forgetting where you are. I'm not one of your students, and this isn't your classroom. Telling someone to "Shut up" and commanding them to read your assignments is not one of your privileges here.
    I would never tell a student to "shut up" ... I have too much respect for them.
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Virtual particles, or imaginary particles, nothing is still less. 🙂
    Kelly
    I almost forgot, there was also something acting on that sea of virtual particles, causing it to become something. So this force or agency or vibration (or whatever it was) can also be counted as another something that must have existed before there was anything.

So we start with nothing, then we envision two somethings interacting and causing the nothing to turn into something... easy peasy science. 🙄
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 02:59
    I almost forgot, there was also something acting on that sea of virtual particles, causing it to become something. So this force or agency or vibration (or whatever it was) can also be counted as another something that must have existed before there was anything.

So we start with nothing, then we envision two somethings interacting and causing the nothing to turn into something... easy peasy science. 🙄
    Well at least they are basing everything on science and not faith!
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Nov '13 03:07

From nothing only nothing is the result. Something has never come from nothing. Quantum mechanics requires something, so it does not come from nothing, numbnuts.

The Instructor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree