1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 08:391 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    The point I am trying to make is this:

"If the solar system was brought about by an accidental collision, then the appearance of organic life on this planet was also an accident, and the whole evolution of Man was an accident too. I ...[text shortened]... h exception to logic? That doesn't sound very logical to me.

So are you tyring to say that everything is a product of evolutionary chance with exception to logic? That doesn't sound very logical to me.

No, I am not. What did I say to give you that impression? Logic is not an exception, but a result of the evolutionary process.

I'll respond to your Lewis quote when I have more time.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 08:401 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Do you know whether or not you had an ancestor 2000 years ago, dj?
    Do you know whether or not you had an ancestor 2000 years ago, dj? Yes, because our history dates back to a few thousand years ago.

But I would also like to ask you a question. Do you know whether you had an ancestor 200 million years ago?
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 08:44
    [b]We know the Universe was still expanding 8 billion years ago. we really cant know if it still is.

You know that it was expanding 8 billion years ago? Were you there to see it happen? No. So how do you know it was expanding then?

You don't really know if it still is? But you are here today to make the observations? Yes. But you ...[text shortened]... it was expanding 8 billion years ago if you can't know if it still is expanding at present?

[/b]
    its called the Hubble Constant and you should look it up. instead of looking up your fundament trying to be glib.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 08:48
    Logic is not an exception, but a result of the evolutionary process.

Fine. So you agree with me that your logic is a result of the evolutionary process? In other words all your present thoughts are mere accidents—the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. If so then how can you trust your logic?
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 08:50
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    its called the Hubble Constant and you should look it up. instead of looking up your fundament trying to be glib.
    So is the Hubble Constant a fact or a theory? You were expressing it as fact. That is why I questioned it...
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 09:01
    So is the Hubble Constant a fact or a theory? You were expressing it as fact. That is why I questioned it...
    actually it's a Law .

7. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 09:20
    [b]Logic is not an exception, but a result of the evolutionary process.

Fine. So you agree with me that your logic is a result of the evolutionary process? In other words all your present thoughts are mere accidents—the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. If so then how can you trust your logic?[/b]
    Evolution is not the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. Where did you learn that? It must have been a Christian Primary School because no science cause teaches that evolution is the by-product of the movement of atoms!

Have you heard of natural selection? The traits that are most useful to an organism are selected. Logic is useful and therefore it is selected by evolution. Logical thoughts therefore are not accidents but are honed over millenia.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 10:19
    actually it's a Law .

It is still a 'theoretical" law.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 10:33
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Evolution is not the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. Where did you learn that? It must have been a Christian Primary School because no science cause teaches that evolution is the by-product of the movement of atoms!

Have you heard of natural selection? The traits that are most useful to an organism are selected. Logic is useful and ...[text shortened]... elected by evolution. Logical thoughts therefore are not accidents but are honed over millenia.
    Evolution is not the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms.

So how did you get here? Do you not believe in the big bang?

Have you heard of natural selection? The traits that are most useful to an organism are selected. Logic is useful and therefore it is selected by evolution. Logical thoughts therefore are not accidents but are honed over millenia.

So where did the first molecule come from on which your natural selection could work?
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 10:39
    It is still a 'theoretical" law.
    do you know the meanings of any words from the scientific method?. If you dont ,, ask maybe we can clear up why you can be led into pseudo science.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 10:51
    do you know the meanings of any words from the scientific method?. If you dont ,, ask maybe we can clear up why you can be led into pseudo science.
    Maybe you need to consider the limitations of your scientific method that have led you into your pseudo interpretation of reality...
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 11:00
    Maybe you need to consider the limitations of your scientific method that have led you into your pseudo interpretation of reality...
    ok so much for that dead end
    you are a waste of time.
    go back to looking up your fundament

* scratches "teach the ignorant " off list of works to do for today*
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 11:021 edit
    [b]Do you know whether or not you had an ancestor 2000 years ago, dj? Yes, because our history dates back to a few thousand years ago.

But I would also like to ask you a question. Do you know whether you had an ancestor 200 million years ago? [/b]
    What does our history have to do with it? Were you there 2000 years ago?

No I don't know if I had an ancestor 200 million years ago. I think it's very probable though.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 11:07
    [b]Logic is not an exception, but a result of the evolutionary process.

Fine. So you agree with me that your logic is a result of the evolutionary process? In other words all your present thoughts are mere accidents—the accidental by-product of the movement of atoms. If so then how can you trust your logic?[/b]
    Yes, logic is probably the result of the evolutionary process.

I am unsure if the word 'accident' is applicable in the way you intend it. I think I need a clear definition of the word before I can answer your questions. When I think of the word 'accident' I think of something that was intended to be happen one way but happened another way instead.
  15. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    12 Mar '05 11:14
    Yes, logic is probably the result of the evolutionary process.

I am unsure if the word 'accident' is applicable in the way you intend it. I think I need a clear definition of the word before I can answer your questions. When I think of the word 'accident' I think of something that was intended to be happen one way but happened another way instead.
    dont you get tired of hearing the sophistry that spews from these mental midgets?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree