1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 05:35
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    It is an empty statement unless we know what a tyrant is.

But it is generally true that we have a duty to oppose evil and do good.
    Describe some forms of tyranny and suggest what you think would be a Biblically supported response to each of them.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 05:37
    However, we do know that Franklin would just be really Libertarian and cosnider some sensible British Monarch a tyrant.

Not cool. Not fun. Not interesting.
    You think the American rebellion against the British state/monarchy was "Not cool. Not fun. Not interesting"?
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 10:35
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Describe some forms of tyranny and suggest what you think would be a Biblically supported response to each of them.
    I can't think of anything that would really be anything but obvious, e.g., committing murder of civilians en masse.

I am not sure what a proper response would be because it could be different based on what would be a realistic outcome.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 10:36
    You think the American rebellion against the British state/monarchy was "Not cool. Not fun. Not interesting"?
    Yeah, I don't th ink it was very cool or interesting.

It sounded like it was just very wealthy people who disliked being taxed and wanted to be part of some parliamentary process, but weren't even that serious about the second part.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 10:40
    I can't think of anything that would really be anything but obvious, e.g., committing murder of civilians en masse.

I am not sure what a proper response would be because it could be different based on what would be a realistic outcome.
    If you can't think of anything and therefore you're not sure what the proper response would be to any of the things you can't think of, then that would suggest that the Bible doesn't really provide you with any of the aforementioned support or guidance. That revelation, even if not quite what you intended, is relevant to the OP.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 12:33
    If you can't think of anything and therefore you're not sure what the proper response would be to any of the things you can't think of, then that would suggest that the Bible doesn't really provide you with any of the aforementioned support or guidance. That revelation, even if not quite what you intended, is relevant to the OP.
    I actually wrote this:

- Obvious murder of innocents is a great example of tyranny.

- I can't provide an example of what I would do or what should be done because it would vary greatly on what can be reasonably expected.

Moreover, I do not think that the Bible actively comes up with some model for revolution or resistance to temporal government, lol.

You've read the Bible, right?

What do yuo expect form it?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 12:38
    You've read the Bible, right?

What do yuo expect form it?
    Ask a Christian, not me. I am, as you know, an agnostic atheist.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 12:39
    Moreover, I do not think that the Bible actively comes up with some model for revolution or resistance to temporal government,
    Good. This is basically how I characterized what you'd said.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 15:20
    Ask a Christian, not me. I am, as you know, an agnostic atheist.
    What do you mean by agnostic atheist? Is that like the sign in the fish market that says “Jumbo shrimp?”
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 17:08
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    What do you mean by agnostic atheist?
    See Thread 175901
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 17:19
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    What do you mean by agnostic atheist? Is that like the sign in the fish market that says “Jumbo shrimp?”
    An agnostic atheist ?

From what I've seen, that is an atheist who has noticed enough arguments for atheism fail, that he opts for the precaution of agnosticism too as a back up.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 17:50
    Originally posted by @sonship
    An agnostic atheist ?

From what I've seen, that is an atheist who has noticed enough arguments for atheism fail, that he opts for the precaution of agnosticism too as a back up.
    I'm sure believing that helps you sleep at night. (Irrespective of its erroneous nature).
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 17:53
    See Thread 175901
    I know, kiddo. I was tweaking you.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 22:10
    Good. This is basically how I characterized what you'd said.
    Lol, are you indicating the Bible because it doesn't have a specific outline or blueprint for organized rebellion against tyranny?

When you talk to an atheist it becomes clear that the Bible is inadequate because it doesn't function as a physics textbook or a Communist Manifesto.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Mar '18 22:20
    Lol, are you indicating the Bible because it doesn't have a specific outline or blueprint for organized rebellion against tyranny?

When you talk to an atheist it becomes clear that the Bible is inadequate because it doesn't function as a physics textbook or a Communist Manifesto.
    Or a biology textbook.

I remember sonhouse going on and on, about how an all-knowing god could just tell humans about roundworms and Trichinosis, instead of just saying don't eat pork.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree