"Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
18 Mar 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @philokalia
Lol, are you indicating the Bible because it doesn't have a specific outline or blueprint for organized rebellion against tyranny?

When you talk to an atheist it becomes clear that the Bible is inadequate because it doesn't function as a physics textbook or a Communist Manifesto.
a) The word is "implicating"
b) Of course the bible doesn't have a remedy for tyranny; it has instructions on how to become tyrants by committing genocide and enslaving surrounding nations.
c) The bible doesn't need to be a science book; but the claims it does have shouldn't be factually wrong (global flood, six thousand year age of earth, etc.).

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

Lol, are you indicating the Bible because it doesn't have a specific outline or blueprint for organized rebellion against tyranny?
I'm not sure what you mean. I am asking religionists to comment on the assertion "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God" on one hand, whilst inviting comment from non-religionists on the morality of standing up to tyranny.

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

When you talk to an atheist it becomes clear that the Bible is inadequate because it doesn't function as a physics textbook or a Communist Manifesto.
In all my years, either as a believer or as a non-believer, I can't say I remember ever coming across any atheists who thought this.

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @sonship
An agnostic atheist ?
"Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism. Agnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not hold a belief in the existence of any deity and agnostic because they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable in principle or currently unknown in fact." [wiki]

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @vivify
a) The word is "implicating"
b) Of course the bible doesn't have a remedy for tyranny; it has instructions on how to become tyrants by committing genocide and enslaving surrounding nations.
c) The bible doesn't need to be a science book; but the claims it does have shouldn't be factually wrong (global flood, six thousand year age of earth, etc.).
Where in the Bible does it say the earth is 6,000 years old?

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
I remember sonhouse going on and on, about how an all-knowing god could just tell humans about roundworms and Trichinosis, instead of just saying don't eat pork.
I'm not interested in roundworms and Trichinosis. On the other hand, you asserted that rebellion against tyrants is one of your [and other believers'] duties to your god figure, and yet you haven't provided any Biblical support for this assertion.

rain

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
Where in the Bible does it say the earth is 6,000 years old?
In a list including genocide and enslavement, that's what bothers you?

F

Moves
18 Mar 18

Romans1009: Where in the Bible does it say the earth is 6,000 years old?

Something that intrigues me is that non-Young Earth Christians will often avoid discussing the age of the earth with Young Earth Christians, but will tackle non-believers for mentioning what Young Earth Christians believe.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 18

So your answer is the Bible doesn’t say the earth is 6,000 years old.

Why not just be honest and admit it? I was going to address your other points after I got the easy one out of the way first.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Mar 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Something that intrigues me is that non-Young Earth Christians will often avoid discussing the age of the earth with Young Earth Christians, but will tackle non-believers for mentioning what Young Earth Christians believe.
Has nothing to do with it.

The Bible doesn’t say the earth is 6,000 years old and, in fact, doesn’t give an age for the earth at all.

F

Moves
19 Mar 18
1 edit

Has nothing to do with it.

The Bible doesn’t say the earth is 6,000 years old and, in fact, doesn’t give an age for the earth at all.
There are hundreds and hundreds of millions of Christians, many of whom have studied the Bible ten or fifteen times longer than you, who use it to calculate the age of the earth to be some few thousands of years. Agree or disagree, like it or not, such a calculation and belief has been a part of mainstream Christianity for centuries.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18

There are hundreds and hundreds of millions of Christians, many of whom have studied the Bible ten or fifteen times longer than you, who use it to calculate the age of the earth to be some few thousands of years. Agree or disagree, like it or not, such a calculation and belief has been a part of mainstream Christianity for centuries.
It’s a manufactured number. The Bible does not say anywhere how old the earth is.

Plus, bear this verse in mind:

“But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.”

(2 Peter 3:8)

F

Moves
19 Mar 18

It’s a manufactured number. The Bible does not say anywhere how old the earth is.
Neither you nor I nor vivify thinks the world is a few thousand years old. You should talk about it to Christians who think it is.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Mar 18

Neither you nor I nor vivify thinks the world is a few thousand years old. You should talk about it to Christians who think it is.
I was talking about it with an atheist who falsely claimed the Bible said the earth was 6,000 years old. Now that his error has been exposed, I’m happy to drop the matter.

F

Moves
19 Mar 18

I was talking about it with an atheist who falsely claimed the Bible said the earth was 6,000 years old. Now that his error has been exposed, I’m happy to drop the matter.
I suggest you take up the Young Earth theology thing with people who believe in it.