1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '16 16:40
    As I was reflecting on Rajk and ToO, I was curious why people place the red letters, or words of Christ, above all other scripture.
    I believe the original scrolls before and after Christ are the "God breathed words".
    The bible tells us so in many places...
    Ps 138:2
    For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.
    NKJV

Gal 1:11-12
    But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
    NKJV

2 Peter 1:20-21
    knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.
    NKJV

Deut 12:32-13:1
    "Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

NKJV

Prov 30:5-6
    Every word of God is pure;
    He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
    6 Do not add to His words,
    Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
    NKJV

I came across this site. I have never heard of Tony Campolo, but was wondering if this is what they believe.
    So i thought I would put it here for discussion.
    My position is that ALL of the bible is the word of God, not just what Christ spoke while he walked the earth in the flesh.
    Even what Christ spoke was penned by scribes as well.
    I believe 2Peter states very plainly, that the prophecy or writings were penned by holy men of God as they were moved, inspired by holy spirit.
    I also believe some error crept in to the original text, for whatever reasons.
    I believe we have enough accuracy as it stands for faith, for salvation,etc., but we can eventually get back to the originals.

http://apprising.org/2011/02/07/the-truth-about-tony-campolo-and-red-letter-christians/
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '16 17:23
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    As I was reflecting on Rajk and ToO, I was curious why people place the red letters, or words of Christ, above all other scripture.
    I believe the original scrolls before and after Christ are the "God breathed words".
    [b]Ps 138:2
    NKJV

Gal 1:11-12 ...[text shortened]... nals.

http://apprising.org/2011/02/07/the-truth-about-tony-campolo-and-red-letter-christians/
    I can remember both ToO and myself addressing some of the reasons why Jesus [His teachings] must be given some kind of priority in the life of the Christian. Jesus himself states it and the Apostles repeated it. If you missed that then you probably wanted to, so I wont be repeating it.

In any case there are only two kinds of Christians:

- those who get eternal life, are led by the spirit of God and consequently live righteously in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Galatians 5:22-24 KJV)

- those who live in the flesh do the works of the flesh .. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21 KJV)

Every Christian wait and live in the hope of eternal life.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 May '16 06:141 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999

- those who get eternal life, are led by the spirit of God and consequently live righteously in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Galati ...[text shortened]... od. (Galatians 5:19-21 KJV)

Which kind are you?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 10:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Which kind are you?
    Evidently you dont read well. I said:

5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 May '16 10:463 edits
    Evidently you dont read well. I said:

[b]Every Christian wait and live in the hope of eternal life.
    [/b]
    You can of course choose to dodge the question...

You declared that there are two "kinds" of Christian; so which one of these kinds are you?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 11:142 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You can of course choose to dodge the question...

You declared that there are two "kinds" of Christian; so which one of these kinds are you?
    Only God knows.

Notice that I would not ask you what kind are you.
    Im not interested in your personal business.
    I respect your privacy as your eternal life is between you and God.'
    However you jokers continue to confuse the doctrine of the Bible with peoples personal life.
  7. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    08 May '16 11:40
    NKJV

There are those who will go even a step further or shall I say... in the other direction with regards to the bible and will try to justify separating the two one from another separate the OT from the NT, I think these people sell themselves short. They will say things like 'we live in the NT, we don't need the OT' or the OT is nothing but history', etc. There is much in the OT to be understood, there is much in the OT that foreshadows (prophecy) the things to come, there is wisdom (proverbs), the prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel and Daniel), there are songs and different forms of worship (psalms) and even love (songs of solomon) .

I would add this scripture to your list regarding the value of all scripture.

2 Timothy 3:10-17English Standard Version (ESV)
    All Scripture Is Breathed Out by God

10 You, however, have followed my teaching, my conduct, my aim in life, my faith, my patience, my love, my steadfastness, 11 my persecutions and sufferings that happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, and at Lystra—which persecutions I endured; yet from them all the Lord rescued me. 12 Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, 13 while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. 14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

To add a side note and perhaps a topic for another thread. For Jesus to fulfill all the prophecies regarding who he is from the OT would would be mathematically impossible for any other.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 11:58
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    There are those who will go even a step further or shall I say... in the other direction with regards to the bible and will try to justify separating the two one from another separate the OT from the NT, I think these people sell themselves short. They will say things like 'we live in the NT, we don't need the OT' or the OT is nothing but history' ...[text shortened]... ophecies regarding who he is from the OT would would be mathematically impossible for any other.
    I wonder if you have the ability to understand this:

The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here. (Matthew 12:41-42 KJV)

I doubt it so I will explain for you. Jesus is saying :

- the men of Nineveh will call you a moron, because they listened to Jonah and repented
    BUT ... YOU HAVE ONE GREATER THAN JONAH AND YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO HIM

- queen Sheba will call you an idiot because she came to listen to the wisdom of Solomon...
    BUT ... YOU HAVE ONE GREATER THAN SOLOMON AND YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO HIM

Who is the one greater than Jonah and greater than Solomon, who these Christians refuse to listen to
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    08 May '16 12:19
    Only God knows.

Notice that I would not ask you what kind are you.
    Im not interested in your personal business.
    I respect your privacy as your eternal life is between you and God.'
    However you jokers continue to confuse the doctrine of the Bible with peoples personal life.

- those who get eternal life, are led by the spirit of God and consequently live righteously in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Galatians 5:22-24 KJV)

- those who live in the flesh do the works of the flesh .. Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. (Galatians 5:19-21 KJV)

You said there are two kinds of Christians...

Type 1

Type 2

If you are a Christian (i assume, I don't remember that I have seen where you have actually made that claim (I mean no disrespect, you may not go by that description)) and there are two types (according to you), then your are either type A or type B.

Why is that a personal matter which type you are (or believe you are) and to indicate that, you have no problem telling others what you believe they are, You are passionate about what you believe, surely you must be one or the other? If a Christian.

However I do accept your response 'Only God know' ultimately God is the judge and I hope that I will be found to be the type A type of a Christian, but I know I lack as I don't always exhibit the characteristics of your type A.

Incidentally, there is only one type of Christian, type A... the other type is not a Christian at all IMO.

If you don't consider yourself a Christian but something else like a 'follower of Christ' or 'The Way', 'The Brethren', 7th day Adventist or something else... than this post is for naught, and It is a matter of a word/description or what you call yourself.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 12:30
    [quote]In any case there are only two kinds of Christians:

- those who get eternal life, are led by the spirit of God and consequently live righteously in love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. (Ga ...[text shortened]... an this post is for naught, and It is a matter of a word/description or what you call yourself.
    God knows the heart of man and God is the judge.
    Regardless of what I call myself and what you call yourself.
    Regardless of what type you think you are A or B..

GOD WILL JUDGE.

Please try not to repeat your questions to me over and over. We have had this conversation before several times.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 May '16 12:37
    NKJV

There is more to being a Christian than what color of letters you find important in scripture.

Matthew 3:11
    “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Luke 11:13
    If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Luke 12:12
    for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say.”

John 14:26
    But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Acts 2:38
    Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 6:5
    This proposal pleased the whole group. They chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit; also Philip, Procorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas from Antioch, a convert to Judaism.

Luke 1:35
    The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

Acts 7:51
    “You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!

Do you really think the color of letters matters or how you relate to God right here and now?

Ephesians 1:13
    And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Ephesians 4:30
    And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

2 Timothy 1:14
    Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

Note the present tense this is not a pie in the sky promise though some would like to think
    it is. Those who think they can earn God's favor rest in their own efforts and works.

Titus 3:5
    he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,

Jude 1:20
    But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit,

If you do not have God now you will not have Him later

Romans 8:9
    You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '16 12:411 edit
    [bIn any case there are only two kinds of Christians:

Every Christian wait and live in the hope of eternal life.[/b]
    Nonsense. There are actually Christians who are nice people, follow the teachings of Christ as best they can and don't really care about eternal life. If anything a focus on eternal life is anti-Christian.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    08 May '16 13:01
    I wonder if you have the ability to understand this:

[i]The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the utte ...[text shortened]... he one greater than Jonah and greater than Solomon, who these Christians refuse to listen to
    [/b]
    I will say this, when you start out patronizing someone as to their ability about anything... in this case me and if I am able to understand YOU, and to follow it up with 'I doubt it so I will explain it for you' as if you are doing someone a big favor... you have lost your audience... as you have done with me.

Don't bother I will not read your posts, they are neither helpful nor edifying.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 14:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nonsense. There are actually Christians who are nice people, follow the teachings of Christ as best they can and don't really care about eternal life. If anything a focus on eternal life is anti-Christian.
    Where did I say or imply that anyone focuses on eternal life?

Obviously you did not put on your reading glasse.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 May '16 14:12
    I will say this, when you start out patronizing someone as to their ability about anything... in this case me and if I am able to understand [b]YOU, and to follow it up with 'I doubt it so I will explain it for you' as if you are doing someone a big favor... you have lost your audience... as you have done with me.

Don't bother I will not read your posts, they are neither helpful nor edifying.[/b]
    Well that is not as bad as you constantly asking me the same idiotic questions over and over about what or who I am and if I sin or dont sin or if I have eternal life or not. You have the mentality of a 3 yr old.

And dont flatter yourself. This is a public forum so although I address you there may be many more reading what I write and Im pretty sure some have to ability to see what Jesus himself is saying about listening to what he teaches. You seem to think otherwise, that Chrst is not important so .. good luck to you with that doctrine.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree