religious denominations

religious denominations

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
I will try again. Do you consider Mormons and Catholics to be Christians?
Well if they get involved in the world as Jesus said his followers "would not be" such as voting, joining the armed forces in war or even being involved in worldly events that are not approved of by the Bible, then how could they be a Christian?
So if these religions do these things and do not remain seperate from the world and it's ways, then they would not be Christian according to the Bible.

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Well if they get involved in the world as Jesus said his followers "would not be" such as voting, joining the armed forces in war or even being involved in worldly events that are not approved of by the Bible, then how could they be a Christian?
So if these religions do these things and do not remain seperate from the world and it's ways, then they would not be Christian according to the Bible.
So you're claiming the same prerogative as RJHinds? You can declare any followers of Christ you want to to be not Christians? If they see what is involved in following Christ - and how to interpret Christian literature - differently from you, then you can unilaterally claim that thy are not followers of Christ?

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
You were never a Christian to begin with, so you should remove the ex-.
Well I've told you a few times that I was - in posts directly addressed to you if I recall correctly. Now you say I was "never a Christian to begin with". I am curious. On what basis do you make this retrospective declaration?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
So you're claiming the same prerogative as RJHinds? You can declare any followers of Christ you want to to be [b]not Christians? If they see what is involved in following Christ - and how to interpret Christian literature - differently from you, then you can unilaterally claim that thy are not followers of Christ?[/b]
No your not understanding what I said. Jesus said that his followers "would not be a part of this world". So understanding what he meant when he said that is a clue to understanding who a true Christian would be.
There is much to discuss on his words about this but bottom line a Christains allegiance goes only to God and to follow God's son as King and to follow his commands. The Bible says you "cannot serve two masters" and a Christian would have to see the importance of that command and give there allegiance only to God.
So if a person of another religion would be willing to get involved in the worlds politics and wars or the things Jesus said NOT to get inloved in, then that would seriously question their Christianity.
But no I am nothing like RJH and his opinions. I show only by scripture what I believe in. His opinion of such things as fighting for his country is not inline with Jesus's teachings and connot show by scripture that it is ok to kill another human.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 12

Sorry as I misunderstood your comment.
No worries, thanks!
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well I've told you a few times that I was - in posts directly addressed to you if I recall correctly. Now you say I was "never a Christian to begin with". I am curious. On what basis do you make this retrospective declaration?
I don't know what you two talked about before.
I do know from time to time I hear people say they were Christians and are now
Atheists. I take exception with that, because as far as I'm concern no one is a
Christian unless they have a right relationship with God in Christ. You can be going
to church, doing good works, singing the songs, and on and on, but if you are not
walking with God through Jesus Christ you’re really not a Christian. Anyone can
do good works, they can sing songs, they can go to church, none of those things
make someone a Christian. What does is Jesus Christ becoming Lord and Savior
where you grow in Him, and if that happened you’d never be able to say you no
longer believe in God, because God would have been real to you. So anyone who
says they were Christian and now no longer believe will without a doubt here the
words from Jesus, “depart from me I never knew you.”, because you never really
did.
Kelly

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

No your not understanding what I said. Jesus said that his followers "would not be a part of this world". So understanding what he meant when he said that is a clue to understanding who a true Christian would be.
So there's no 'Christians can disagree' as far as you are concerned? It's 'you have to agree with my understanding or else I don't consider you to be a Christian'. I'm sorry, but you may say "[you are] nothing like RJH and his opinions" but it seems you are claiming exactly the same prerogative as he is, here on this thread. He uses the word "true" in exactly the same way as you use the word "true".

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
So anyone who says they were Christian and now no longer believe will without a doubt here the words from Jesus, “depart from me I never knew you.”, because you never really did.
You feel your faith empowers you to declare - retrospectively - that I was "never a Christian" even without knowing me and even with you admitting that you don't know what I've said about it on this Forum? Aren't you even a little bit concerned that you might be seen as extremely presumptuous?

Do you think Mormons and Catholics and Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians?

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

I do know from time to time I hear people say they were Christians and are now
Atheists.
Hang on. Have you ever read any of my posts? Why do you suggest that I am an atheist?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by FMF
Hang on. Have you ever read any of my posts? Why do you suggest that I am an atheist?
I have read some of your posts, I did not say you were an Atheist, I believe
I even said I did not read your exchange to know what was said. I was speaking
to those that claimed to be Atheists that were once Christians and that alone was
what I was addressing. If I came off as suggesting anything towards you that was
not true I'm sorry not my intent.
Kelly

F

Moves
17 Mar 12

I have read some of your posts, I did not say you were an Atheist, I believe
I even said I did not read your exchange to know what was said. I was speaking
to those that claimed to be Atheists that were once Christians and that alone was
what I was addressing. If I came off as suggesting anything towards you that was
not true I'm sorry not my intent.
Are you going to address the question I raised about your [as I see it] presumptuousness about me?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I believe you have claimed to be a theist with Muslim leanings.
There are two main branches of the Christian church. They are divided by
those in the East called the Orthodox Christian Church and those in the west
called the Catholic Christian Church. Those in the west ,which I am more
familiar with are subdivided into Protestant churches with many denominations
because of slight disagreement in doctrine. There are many true Christians
belonging to these Christian churches, but one can not claim that all members
of these Christian churches are true Christians just because they are members.
It is the same with you. Just because you thought you were a Christian by
belonging to a Christian church and going through the motions did not make
you a true Christian. Christian cults like the Mormons and the JWs maybe are
sometimes placed in the Protestant subdivision with the denominations. But
the Momons and the JWs preach another Jesus and not the true Jesus as
preached by the apostles of Christ.

Moves
17 Mar 12

There are two main branches of the Christian church. They are divided by
those in the East called the Orthodox Christian Church and those in the west
called the Catholic Christian Church. Those in the west ,which I am more
familiar with are subdivided into Protestant churches with many denominations
because of slight disagreement in doctrine.
Those in the west ,which I am more familiar with are subdivided into Protestant churches with many denominations because of slight disagreement in doctrine.

Can you please explain how the "Protestant churches" are a sub-division of the "Catholic Churches"?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Mar 12

Originally posted by divegeester
Those in the west ,which I am more familiar with are subdivided into Protestant churches with many denominations because of slight disagreement in doctrine.

Can you please explain how the "Protestant churches" are a sub-division of the "Catholic Churches"?
I am sure you must know that Martin Luthur was a Roman Catholic Priest.
His followers established the Lutheran church.

http://christianity.about.com/od/denominations/a/lutheran.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther

Moves
17 Mar 12

I am sure you must know that Martin Luthur was a Roman Catholic Priest.
His followers established the Lutheran church.

http://christianity.about.com/od/denominations/a/lutheran.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther
So?

Using that logic all Christian denominations are a sub-division of one.