1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 10:20
    talking to people on here you see many different approaches to expressing their beliefs or lack of. is this indicative of the denomination they follow or is it just the individuals personality. i guess what im asking is for people to share what religion and denomination they belong to (if people are comfortable doing so) if anybody can be bothered id be interested to know what the average church/mosque experience is like, what emphasis is of its teachings.

im an agnostic/atheist, i have no church (maybe somebody should start one).
  2. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 10:37
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    talking to people on here you see many different approaches to expressing their beliefs or lack of. is this indicative of the denomination they follow or is it just the individuals personality. i guess what im asking is for people to share what religion and denomination they belong to (if people are comfortable doing so) if anybody can be bothered id be ...[text shortened]... of its teachings.

Well I think the vast majority of theists here are of the Christian persuasion so I don't think you'll get much informed information about the 'average' experience within mosques, synagogues, Gurudwara, daoguan or buildings from other religions.

But I would also be very interested in hearing about this sort of stuff.

--- Penguin.
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 10:45
    I think your best bet if you want a sense of community is to attend events at the British Humanist Association.

http://www.humanism.org.uk/home
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 13:37
    talking to people on here you see many different approaches to expressing their beliefs or lack of. is this indicative of the denomination they follow or is it just the individuals personality. i guess what im asking is for people to share what religion and denomination they belong to (if people are comfortable doing so) if anybody can be bothered id be ...[text shortened]... of its teachings.

My family and I have belonged to different denominations; however, I think
    they are not important towards one's walk with Jesus Christ. I am a Christian
    and have been for over 25 years. I have attended First Assembly of God,
    Vinyard, Baptist, and home fellowships. For me it is simply walking with
    fellow Christians who love the Lord, each other, and everyone else the
    best they can.

Depending on the denominations doctrine that keeps the members
    together for the most part as long as it brings people to God through
    Jesus Christ properly the differences are meaningless.
    Kelly
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 14:57
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    My family and I have belonged to different denominations; however, I think
    they are not important towards one's walk with Jesus Christ. I am a Christian
    and have been for over 25 years. I have attended First Assembly of God,
    Vinyard, Baptist, and home fellowships. For me it is simply walking with
    fellow Christians who love the Lord, each other, and ever ...[text shortened]... it brings people to God through
    Jesus Christ properly the differences are meaningless.
    Kelly
    Hummmm? So the doctrines make no differance? Are you sure? What if a doctrine has a pagan origin and goes against other laws and principles and other scriptures that do not approve of this doctrine on any level?
    Does that not matter just because everyone in that church is "happy"? Does the "truth factor" not matter?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 16:18
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Hummmm? So the doctrines make no differance? Are you sure? What if a doctrine has a pagan origin and goes against other laws and principles and other scriptures that do not approve of this doctrine on any level?
    Does that not matter just because everyone in that church is "happy"? Does the "truth factor" not matter?
    You should read what I wrote, do not pick a word or two out and run with it.
    Kelly
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 16:36
    You should read what I wrote, do not pick a word or two out and run with it.
    Kelly
    Well I'm pretty sure I did read it but tell me what I misunderstood?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 19:571 edit

I had another thread a while ago where we came to a consensus that the christian church had 40 000 denominations.
    So with so much division in just one religion I think your are going to get loads of different interpretations / opinions.

At least they are calling my 6 yr old kids class "scripture" and not "religious studies" anymore. Which I am very happy about. I dont mind if he goes but only if I can rubbish what he learnt every friday he does it 🙂 He's cool with that
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:091 edit
    Well I'm pretty sure I did read it but tell me what I misunderstood?
    "So the doctrines make no differance?"

There was little more to what I said than doctrines make no differance. To suggest
    I said that they don't make any differance without adding the rest wasn't clearly accurate.
    Kelly
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:20
    "So the doctrines make no differance?"

There was little more to what I said than doctrines make no differance. To suggest
    I said that they don't make any differance without adding the rest wasn't clearly accurate.
    Kelly
    "the differences are meaningless"

So please explain what this means then..
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:231 edit
    I am of the opinion that the belief in Christian doctrines does make a difference.
    That is why there are so many denominations and that is how one can tell the
    difference between a Christian denomination and a cult like Mormonism and
    Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course, it is easy to tell the different religions apart,
    but many think Mormonism is Christian because they call thenselves ---
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

P.S. Kelly Jay probably means that some doctrines held by some Christian
    churches are not needed to by classified as a Christian denomination.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:251 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I had another thread a while ago where we came to a consensus that the christian church had 40 000 denominations.
    So with so much division in just one religion I think your are going to get loads of different interpretations / opinions.

At least they are calling my 6 yr old kids class "scripture" and not "religious studies" anymore. Which I am ver ...[text shortened]... s but only if I can rubbish what he learnt every friday he does it 🙂 He's cool with that
    40 000!!!!!! i would of guessed at about 200 and could name about 10. i find it fascinating that one faith has so much disagreement between the members. i was mainly interested to know if peoples denominations were reflective of the way they interact on here.

my 6yr daughter went to a church of england school (it was the nearest and best) and surprise, surprise she found god, despite the teachers saying that they do not force religion upon the students. she now goes to a non religious school that has its own veg patch and now god is out and vegetarianism is in.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:33
    40 000!!!!!! i would of guessed at about 200 and could name about 10. i find it fascinating that one faith has so much disagreement between the members. i was mainly interested to know if peoples denominations were reflective of the way they interact on here.

my 6yr daughter went to a church of england school (it was the nearest and best) and su ...[text shortened]... to a non religious school that has its own veg patch and now god is out and vegetarianism is in.
    "god is out vegetarianism is in"

Thats cool.

My kid doesn't really take on board all that baby jesus stuff they go on about.
    He was asking me if they think he's alive. I said "yeah, they think he's alive"
    he goes" I suppose they'll tell us next week where he is" .

Out of the mouth of babes. just beautiful.

I told him that I doubt they will tell him that, but to ask anyway. lol
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:33

my 6yr daughter went to a church of england school (it was the nearest and best) and su ...[text shortened]... to a non religious school that has its own veg patch and now god is out and vegetarianism is in.
    She may have found god, but maybe she should discover God and His Christ and
    the Holy Spirit.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 20:36
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    She may have found god, but maybe she should discover God and His Christ and
    the Holy Spirit.
    maybe she should be a kid and play on the monkey bars before being brainwashed,eh?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree