Religious Folks Have a Sunnier Outlook

Religious Folks Have a Sunnier Outlook

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
My Muslim neighbours mostly have a sunny outlook on life. So do the Christians. I cannot personally say how this disposition links to their faith. This is a mutually indulging, gregarious, community orientated culture - with people of different faiths living side by side. It is also a very religious society compared to my native Britain. I don't really see how t ...[text shortened]... uicide bombers of the future. Indeed, in a sample as small as 93,000 there may in fact be none.
I would hope not if they are all from the USA.

F

Moves
13 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
I would hope not if they are all from the USA.
Do you perceive your Muslim neighbours or those you know to have a sunnier outlook than the non-religious people you know?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
Do you perceive your Muslim neighbours or those you know to have a sunnier outlook than the non-religious people you know?
I have only known one Muslim and he didn't appear to be to be any sunnier
than anyone else except the atheist.

F

Moves
13 Nov 11
1 edit

I have only known one Muslim and he didn't appear to be to be any sunnier
than anyone else except the atheist.
By "anyone else", presumably you mean non-religious people? So are you skeptical about the research cited in the OP?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
By "anyone else", presumably you mean non-religious people? So are you skeptical about the research cited in the OP?
No, I mean both religious and non-religious people. I have known
and worked with both. Some religious people, Christian that is, do
appear to be much happier. For example the minister Jesse Duplantis
always sems sunny even after tha hurrican wiped out his home and
church in Louisiana. Here are some pictures of him.

http://www.google.com/[WORD TOO LONG]

http://www.biographyministries.com/jesse-duplantis-ministries.html

Note the trick for buffering videos before watching them for slow
internet connections.

F

Moves
13 Nov 11

No, I mean both religious and non-religious people. I have known
and worked with both. Some religious people, Christian that is, do
appear to be much happier.
The research cited in the OP wasn't only referring to Christians when it spoke of 'religious folks'. You've only ever known one Muslim, so you can't comment on Muslims from personal experience, but how about Jews and Hindus and other religious people. Does your observation of them support the findings of the research?

w

Moves
13 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
What "religion" are you referring to?
In other words, do you feel that you benefit in any way believing in a God? For example, do you fellowship with like minded believers or do you feel as though you have a more optimistic outlook on life etc.

F

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by whodey
In other words, do you feel that you benefit in any way believing in a God? For example, do you fellowship with like minded believers or do you feel as though you have a more optimistic outlook on life etc.
In my everyday dealings with people I see myself - and I am seen by others - to have a 'sunny disposition', more or less, but it has to do with the nature of those everyday dealings and the fellowship with the people I have them with, and not some kind of benefit from a belief in God. I speak for myself and not for those people, many of whom are religious/religionists.

w

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
In my everyday dealings with people I see myself - and I am seen by others - to have a 'sunny disposition', more or less, but it has to do with the nature of those everyday dealings and the fellowship with the people I have them with, and not some kind of benefit from a belief in God. I speak for myself and not for those people, many of whom are religious/religionists.
So in your estimation your belief in God does not enhance your life in any way? To put another way, would your life be any different if you did not believe in God?

F

Moves
14 Nov 11

To put another way, would your life be any different if you did not believe in God?
How could I know the answer to that?

w

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
How could I know the answer to that?
Speaking from my own perspective, I have an active relationship with God, much like a relationship with another person. As a result, I can unequivocably say that without a particular relationship, whether it be with God or another person, my life would be much different. In addition, I have the additional bonus of believing that no matter what hell I may encounter here on earth, there is a much better place for me to go to in the end. This helps put such hell into perspective, much like Paul inexplicably singing praises to God in prison even though he was sentenced to die shortly.

In fact, I challenge any of you to begin to praise God in your darkest hour. At first, it seems rather insane......but then it gets a little easier, and before you know it you are transported into an entirely different state of mind. Even though your body may be held hostage or your circumstances, your spirit and mind are still able to gain their freedom!!

F

Moves
14 Nov 11

...I have the additional bonus of believing that no matter what hell I may encounter here on earth, there is a much better place for me to go to in the end.
To indulge in such escapism would be anathema to me, spiritually speaking.

Moves
14 Nov 11

Speaking from my own perspective, I have an active relationship with God, much like a relationship with another person. As a result, I can unequivocably say that without a particular relationship, whether it be with God or another person, my life would be much different. In addition, I have the additional bonus of believing that no matter what hell I may en ...[text shortened]... held hostage or your circumstances, your spirit and mind are still able to gain their freedom!!
Yeah, see the thing is you can get the same effect praying to or praising any god, including one you just made up on the spot.

When you say you are transported into a different state of mind that is entirely plausible,
But it really is, just a different state of mind, you can do it with any religion/god concept, or
no god concept at all.

w

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by FMF
To indulge in such escapism would be anathema to me, spiritually speaking.
As I said, it is counterintuitive. However, is that always the wrong choice? Nope. Sometimes it is what the doctor ordered.

w

Moves
14 Nov 11

Originally posted by googlefudge
Yeah, see the thing is you can get the same effect praying to or praising any god, including one you just made up on the spot.

When you say you are transported into a different state of mind that is entirely plausible,
But it really is, just a different state of mind, you can do it with any religion/god concept, or
no god concept at all.
I suppose. All I can tell you is that physiologically speaking, when you have the weight of the world on your shoulders you are stressed, thus leading to more physiological ills. My approach, however, helps to bypass this state.

Of course, if you are praising something that does not exist, it would seemingly only benefit you. Isn't it interesting that when we put others before ourselves, whether imagined or otherwise, we tend to have a much richer and fulfilling life? Whether you think my God is just fiction is up to you, but this is the kind of God I serve and the kind of God that helps extend my earthly life, as well as those who act in a similar fashion. There is no denying that.