1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Nov '11 18:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    The research cited in the OP wasn't only referring to Christians when it spoke of 'religious folks'. You've only ever known one Muslim, so you can't comment on Muslims from personal experience, but how about Jews and Hindus and other religious people. Does your observation of them support the findings of the research?
    I can not say for sure for most of my contact is with Christian people. We
    are a happy bunch.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 09:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I can not say for sure for most of my contact is with Christian people. We
    are a happy bunch.
    I think that is true for many; after all "Ignorance is bliss", but that does not mean that converting to a Christianity (or any other religion) will make you happy - it just means that Christians are happy.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 21:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    How could I know the answer to that?
    Am I the only one here who recalls your articulate presentation of what I called “intuitional theism”? (I would expand that to “open and intuitional theism”.)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Nov '11 23:34
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Am I the only one here who recalls your articulate presentation of what I called “intuitional theism”? (I would expand that to “open and intuitional theism”.)
    whodey is questioning me about my "religion" when, as you suggest, surely he knows full well that I am not a religionist. I don't see how me speculating about the effect of something hypothetical, couched in a way that conforms to his religionist terms of reference (and not mine), is of any benefit or relevance to him. Even more so when, as you will have noted, he soon afterwards resorted to what struck me as a thought-annihilating cliche along the lines of 'escapism it is what the doctor ordered'. So it's as well that I did not invest too much of my time and effort typing out some speculations for him. 🙂
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 02:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    whodey is questioning me about my "religion" when, as you suggest, surely he knows full well that I am not a religionist. I don't see how me speculating about the effect of something hypothetical, couched in a way that conforms to his religionist terms of reference (and not mine), is of any benefit or relevance to him. Even more so when, as you will have noted, ...[text shortened]... t I did not invest too much of my time and effort typing out some speculations for him. 🙂
    You are a Muslim.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Nov '11 02:571 edit
    You are a Muslim.
    If I were, I would say so. But I am not. I am not a religionist of any brand or catagory.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 00:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I were, I would say so. But I am not. I am not a religionist of any brand or catagory.
    So you just like the Muslims more than Christians, like myself?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 00:21
    What are you on about?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 07:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    What are you on about?
    Pardon?
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Nov '11 07:29
    I think he would like anyone of any religion, or a Christian unlike you, more than a Christian like you.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '11 20:073 edits
    Didn't know exactly where to put this.

A Brief exchange on the idea "Let's kill God but keep Christian enfluence ".

Daniel Dennett vs Dinesh D'souza

Starting at 5 min 28 secs into the video on Scandanavian atheism and culture:

YouTube&feature=related
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '11 13:25
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Didn't know exactly where to put this.

A Brief exchange on the idea "Let's kill God but keep Christian influence ".

Daniel Dennett vs Dinesh D'souza

Starting at 5 min 28 secs into the video on Scandinavian atheism and culture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1aiwcDRORI&feature=related
    Yeah, Nietzsche was wrong.
    It is entirely possible to have good solid morality without god, and the Scandinavian countries
    are good examples of that.

I don't know many (well any actually) atheists who are nihilists and it certainly isn't a prerequisite
    or consequence of atheism.

The fact that there is a direct correlation between a whole slew of indicators of societal health and
    how theistic it is (with the indicators getting worse the greater the theosity) is a strong indication
    that we don't need 'god', or the idea of god, to create a good moral code.
    (which is unsurprising given that the evidence strongly suggests that there is no god and never has
    been and thus all moral codes ever invented were invented by man)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree