1. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 13:27
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Why wouldn't God just create multiple identical perfect worlds? Why bother with Pawnokeyhole B at all, if God could just duplicate Pawnokeyhole A?
    But doesn't this objection miss the point?

I agree that the goodness of a perfect world could be multiplied through duplication (although one wonders how far this should continue -- to infinity?).

But, such duplication would merely result in duplicates of Pawnokeyhole A, in each of their respectively perfect worlds A. So, Pawnokeyhole B would never be created, in his imperfect world B. Hence, God would fail to realize the good of creating Pawnokeyhole B (and his fellows in World B), a good that suffices to outweigh the ill in World B. The point is that there could not possibly be Pawnokeyhole B (and his ilk) unless there were also a World B, because Pawnokeyhole B is defined with reference to World B. Indeed, isn't it true that World B, with all its flaws, is a necessary condition for the existence of Pawnokeyhole B, and that, assuming the existence of Pawnokeyhole (and his ilk) is good enough, the existence of World B is thereby morally justified?

Scenario P:

Suppose that God has already created an infinite of perfect worlds A, containing duplicates of Pawnokeyhole A. In addition, suppose he has also, for variety, created a flawed World B, containing Pawnokeyhole B. Should he now destroy World B, with Pawnokeyhole in it, to maximize goodness?

Scenario Q:

Or: suppose that God has already created an infinite of perfect worlds A, containing duplicates of Pawnokeyhole A. In addition, suppose he has NOT YET created a flawed World B, containing Pawnokeyhole B. Should he now create World B, with Pawnokeyhole in it?

Should the answer to scenarios P and Q differ?
  2. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 13:28
    Why wouldn't God just create multiple identical perfect worlds? Why bother with Pawnokeyhole B at all, if God could just duplicate Pawnokeyhole A?
    Also, given that I am arguably pawnokeyhole B, you won't mind if I hope that God isn't listening? 🙂
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 15:111 edit
    If you can't point out which definition or premise you have a problem with...
    No, you don't understand the term 'unnecessary'. As explicitly stated in the argument, the term refers to being logically unnecessary.
    I'd say it's you who doesn't understand the term 'unnecessary.' There is no contradiction in God; however, there is contradiction possible once you get outside of God. Anything outside of Him has the potential to be contradictory, although not required. All of creation groans under the strain of acting on that potential. In your view, the fact that anything could act in contradiction to God's perfection negates His omnipotence.
    It is necessary and acceptable (known before it was even created) for there to be suffering in the universe, as a result of first Lucifer, and then Adam, acting outside of God's standard for them. The Godhead knows both good and evil, and is not shocked by either.

if that suffering were to have been prevented, then a logical contradiction would result.
    With respect to the 'iffiness' of your historical view, your understanding of God's omniscience is skewed. Whether suffering or buying an ice cream cone, all has been known since before creation started.
    God at all times perceives all events with all their causes, conditions, and relations--- from the big to the smallest of small--- as one indivisible system of things, every part of which is essential to the integrity of the whole.
    In addition to knowing in complete detail what will happen, He also knows what could have happened, had He determined to employ some course of action other than the one He chose. If this "indivisible system of things" were different in even one detail--- if Brutus forgot the knife, if Lincoln decided against a play that night, if you had been born one day later, if ever the course of one single sub-atomic particle were different--- the entire system would be changed. One variation would yield to another and another and another in a huge, intertwining system of cause and effect.
    With God, His omniscience and intelligence is such, that He could take any event (suffering or buying an ice cream cone, since both are the same in your formula), change it in one of an infinite number of ways, and then tell you exactly what would happen differently as a result of the change. Without a strain, He could carry out the intricate ramifications of that one change throughout history to the end of time... and beyond time into eternity. Moreover, He could also trace out all the implications of all possible changes to all events.
    God knows the future as clearly as the past; His knowledge is not subject to development, nor does He ever need to learn anything. He knows the conclusion and the premise at the same time, the end from the beginning. He knows the good and the bad, and is surprised by neither.

Because of His nature, God limits any one of His attributes, insofar as the limit is necessary for His ultimate glory.

As you have (essentially) equated suffering with the purchase of an ice cream cone, we should be able leave the emotional punch of raping, murdering, starving and the suffering of Down's babies out of the discussion. Objectively speaking, all that would transpire (even the travesty of the activist referees in the loss for our beloved 'Hawks) was known by God before-hand. Objectively speaking, all of it makes up the whole from His perspective, complete with agents acting on their own, informed by standards-of-thinking of their own choosing.
    Each agent will stand before God to account for their own decisions, given the parameters of their own existence. And He will judge them, great and small.

Therefore, as stated, your premise #2, citing "unnecessary" is in err, on the "unnecessary" part, in addition to its lack of adequate definition of "suffering." Without an adequate definition, your argument is only about events, irrespective of moral value. As such, their eventual comparison to God's 'moral perfection' is meaningless.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:30
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    But doesn't this objection miss the point?

I agree that the goodness of a perfect world could be multiplied through duplication (although one wonders how far this should continue -- to infinity?).

But, such duplication would merely result in duplicates of Pawnokeyhole A, in each of their respectively perfect worlds A. So, Pawnokeyhole B would ne ...[text shortened]... now create World B, with Pawnokeyhole in it?

Should the answer to scenarios P and Q differ?
    No, the objection doesn't miss the point.

We are supposing that God is a maximizer of the good (whatever that means). Either duplicating A-worlds will maximize the good or it will not. If it does, then God would not create any B-worlds, because for any possible B-world, it would have been better had that B-world been an A-world instead. If duplicating A-worlds does not maximize the good, then there must be some other type of goodness (perhaps there is aesthetic value in diversity, I don't know) that accrues only to B-worlds, or only to B-worlds when surrounded by A-worlds. It can't just be that there the balance of good in B-worlds is positive. That isn't sufficient reason to create a B-world if God is a maximizer of the good.

Scenario P: If God is a maximizer of the good, then it is contradictory to suppose that he would create world B (a flawed world) when he could have created an A-world instead. Unless, that is, there is some good that can only result from having a diversity of worlds. This may be the case, but nothing you've said so far indicates that this is your view. If an argument could be given that it is morally better that there be diverse sorts of worlds, and if this entails that some would be flawed (good wouldn't be maximized in them), then you have a response to the problem of evil (i.e., we happen to be in one of the flawed worlds logically necessary for making this the Best of All Possible Sets Of Worlds). I am deeply skeptical about the premises of this argument, however.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 19:491 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]No, you don't understand the term 'unnecessary'. As explicitly stated in the argument, the term refers to being logically unnecessary.
    I'd say it's you who doesn't understand the term 'unnecessary.' There is no contradiction in God; however, there is contradiction possible once you get outside of God. Anything outside of Him has the poten their eventual comparison to God's 'moral perfection' is meaningless.[/b]
    O.K., so you reject premise 2. Now we're getting somewhere. Please see page 12 of the thread for the defense of that premise. Again, you may apply any moral theory you wish to the argument, as it is intended to be neutral between different moral theories.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:08
    O.K., so you reject premise 2. Now we're getting somewhere. Please see page 12 of the thread for the defense of that premise. Again, you may apply any moral theory you wish to the argument, as it is intended to be neutral between different moral theories.
    I'd already stated my rejection of premise #2, as described in the posts above this one. As you are equating suffering with blah, blah, blah... just read the posts above this one, starting with the one that quoted your word "unnecessary."
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Feb '06 20:24
    I'd already stated my rejection of premise #2, as described in the posts above this one. As you are equating suffering with blah, blah, blah... just read the posts above this one, starting with the one that quoted your word "unnecessary."
    Did you read what you wrote, above? There aren't any arguments in there, and none of the claims you make are relevant to anything I've actually argued. If you reject premise (2) then you reject the following:

(2)There has occurred, at least once, an instance of suffering that was not logically necessary for the greater good.

a) Suppose (2) is false.
    b) If so, then every instance of suffering is logically necessary for the greater good.
    c) Hence, had any instance of suffering not occurred, the world would have thereby been less good than it could have been.

As before, 'less good' here just means 'less morally preferable'. So, a world that is less good would be less morally preferable to God. Since God is morally perfect by definition, it follows that God would prefer a world that is maximally morally preferable and act accordingly. Hence, the actual world is maximally morally preferable; it is the world that is the most good. In short, the actual world is the best of all possible worlds. Astute and bookish readers will recognize that this is the position endorsed by Leibniz and famously lampooned by Voltaire in “Candide” and Mark Twain in “Letters from Earth”.

At this point we should distinguish between suffering brought about by the intentional acts of agents and those brought about by natural forces. The former I will refer to as 'moral evil' and the latter as 'natural evil'. These are the terms commonly used in presentations of the problem of evil, and are used here to facilitate the research of interested parties. As before, the use of these terms is intended to be neutral between non-skeptical ethical theories.

d) Hence, had any instance of moral evil (e.g., murder, rape, theft, deception, etc.) not occurred, the world would thereby have been worse.
    e) Further, had any instance of natural evil (e.g., disease, natural disaster, etc.) not occurred, the world would thereby have been worse.

Now, in many cases of moral evil and natural evil there are numerous victims. During Stalin's reign, for instance, some twenty million people were murdered (and that is a conservative estimate). During the 1918 influenza epidemic, some eighteen million people died. I encourage the reader to research the manner in which people were murdered under Stalin, and the manner in which people died during the influenza epidemic, in order to get a sense of the amount of suffering involved.

f) Hence, had any single person who suffered under Stalin's regime (or during the Holocaust, or Rwanda, or currently in Sudan, or any war in history) not suffered, the world would have been worse.
    g) Hence, had even one fewer infant had its brains dashed against walls by Nazis; had even one fewer infant been tossed in the air and caught on the point of a bayonet by Cossacks; had even one fewer person been hacked apart by machetes in Rwanda; had even one fewer adolescent girl been raped by paramilitary squads in Darfur, the world would thereby have been worse.
    h) Further, had any single person who suffered as a result of the 1918 influenza epidemic (or smallpox, or AIDS, or the recent tsunami or any other natural disaster in history) not suffered, the world would have been worse.
    i) Hence, had one fewer child been orphaned by influenza; had one fewer infant been born with AIDS; had one fewer person been battered and broken by the recent tsunami; had one fewer person been buried alive by the earthquakes in Turkey and Iran, the world would have thereby been worse.

You are committed to all these entailments by virtue of your rejection of premise (2).
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 00:50
    You are committed to all these entailments by virtue of your rejection of premise (2).
    2) There has occurred at least one event E such that E brought about unnecessary suffering; suffering not logically necessary for the bringing about of greater good.
    This is exactly what I reject. You have yet to define "unnecessary," and, as you have neutralized (read: eliminated) moral values, the sentence makes no sense. Further, when you later attempt to contrast the now-amoral events to a "morally perfect" God, there is no weight. Forget the fact that God is not morally perfect, as morality is something that is measured and God is beyond measure.
    Scratch that: don't forget that God is beyond measure.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:07
    [b]2) There has occurred at least one event E such that E brought about unnecessary suffering; suffering not logically necessary for the bringing about of greater good.
    This is exactly what I reject. You have yet to define "unnecessary," and, as you have neutralized (read: eliminated) moral values, the sentence makes no sense. Further, when you late ...[text shortened]... measured and God is beyond measure.
    Scratch that: don't forget that God is beyond measure.[/b]
    I already defined 'unnecessary' above, but I'll do it again.

X is logically unnecessary if and only if were it not the case that X no logical contradiction would thereby result.

And, once again, I haven't eliminated moral values, I've constructed an argument that allows you to import whatever moral theory you prefer. When the argument mentions things like 'moral perfection', 'goodness', etc, construe them however you wish; the argument is unaffected (as was pointed out many, many times in the original thread).
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:12
    [b]No, you don't understand the term 'unnecessary'. As explicitly stated in the argument, the term refers to being logically unnecessary.
    I'd say it's you who doesn't understand the term 'unnecessary.' There is no contradiction in God; however, there is contradiction possible once you get outside of God. Anything outside of Him has the poten ...[text shortened]... their eventual comparison to God's 'moral perfection' is meaningless.[/b]
    Because of His nature, God limits any one of His attributes, insofar as the limit is necessary for His ultimate glory.

🙄 I don't understand what you are saying because I don't speak Gibberish.

Also, what about the Down's babies?
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:53
    I already defined 'unnecessary' above, but I'll do it again.

X is logically unnecessary if and only if were it not the case that X no logical contradiction would thereby result.

And, once again, I haven't eliminated moral values, I've constructed an argument that allows you to import whatever moral theory you prefer. When the argument mentions things ...[text shortened]... he argument is unaffected (as was pointed out many, many times in the original thread).
    If I understand your argument (which is not an argument?) correctly, you posit that the greater good (I assume this to be the glory of God in your formula) could be obtained without any failure?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 01:54
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]Because of His nature, God limits any one of His attributes, insofar as the limit is necessary for His ultimate glory.

🙄 I don't understand what you are saying because I don't speak Gibberish.

Also, what about the Down's babies?[/b]
    Learn gibberish then.
  13. Joined
    23 Feb '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 06:14
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]Re: Bible and "Divine Right of Kings"

The canon for the New Testament was drawn up long before there was any mention of Divine Right of Kings; and certainly long before the KJV.

Yes, it was...however, the "Final" Cut of it, DOES have to do with power and politics. KJV marks a DISTINCT turn toward Politics.
    Re: Worshipping the Sacrifice

We w ...[text shortened]...
    It is inconceivable--that God would "mix" himself with humanity. "I will not share my Glory.
  14. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 08:30
    If I understand your argument (which is not an argument?) correctly, you posit that the greater good (I assume this to be the glory of God in your formula) could be obtained without any failure?
    I never employ the term 'failure' in my argument, so I'm not sure what you're asking.
  15. An' it harms none...
    Moves
    27 Feb '06 08:45
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    Christianity holds the belief that Jesus is the son of god.

Islam acknowledges Jesus as a profit but a human being (mortal) not the son of god.

However there is a simple logical paradox.

Each system of belief in order to maintain its own validity must to refute the validity of the other (at least on this unavoidable and profound point).

We are ri ...[text shortened]... to be null. A fallacy but which one?

This is the obvious paradox.

Belief closes the mind.
    Everybody is right 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree