1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 16:333 edits
    Due to listening to someone talk about scripture, they mentioned that the original text didn't have chapters and verses in them, something I've always known, but never gave it a second thought.

These added breaks in text were good for identifying passages, but there is a down side too, and its a big one. They can actually change the meaning by breaking up the flow of the books in places that were not there when the book was actually written.

We have looked and found some where the chapters and verses have been removed. They do put them on the top of the page so you know where your at had they been included in the scripture. I highly recommend getting one of these for your personal study there is a difference in reading it.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 18:54
    @kellyjay said
    Due to listening to someone talk about scripture, they mentioned that the original text didn't have chapters and verses in them, something I've always known, but never gave it a second thought.

These added breaks in text were good for identifying passages, but there is a down side too, and its a big one. They can actually change the meaning by breaking up the flow of the ...[text shortened]... I highly recommend getting one of these for your personal study there is a difference in reading it.
    Of course it's easy enough to simply ignore the chapter and verse breaks.

There are much larger issues that keep people from understanding what the Bible actually says.

Following are but a few:
    1) Assigning meaning to individual verses without first understanding the passage from which it was taken.
    2) Believing dogma prior to assessing the veracity of that dogma.
    For example: "The Bible is the inerrant word of God". Those who believe this dogma invariably distort the actual meaning of verses / passages to remove inconsistencies, discrepancies, contradictions, etc. Those who believe this dogma invariably find a verse / passage or two to backup their beliefs and ignore any conflicting verses / passages.
    3) Poor reading comprehension, poor critical thinking skills, poor conceptual thinking skills, etc.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 19:23
    @thinkofone said
    Of course it's easy enough to simply ignore the chapter and verse breaks.

There are much larger issues that keep people from understanding what the Bible actually says.

Following are but a few:
    1) Assigning meaning to individual verses without first understanding the passage from which it was taken.
    2) Believing dogma prior to assessing the veracity of that dogma ...[text shortened]...
    3) Poor reading comprehension, poor critical thinking skills, poor conceptual thinking skills, etc.
    You believe Jesus was sent by God, that He came from God, that He is God?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 19:41
    @kellyjay said
    Like other Christians who are unable to formulate a cogent argument addressing the points of my posts, KJ resorts to deflection: His latest "go to" is to ask off-topic questions. Typical.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 19:45
    @kellyjay said

These added breaks in text were good for identifying passages, but there is a down side too, and its a big one. They can actually change the meaning by breaking up the flow of the ...[text shortened]... I highly recommend getting one of these for your personal study there is a difference in reading it.
    Seeing as how you take everything in the book of Revelation as being literal, including multi-headed beasts being ridden by literal whores with their cloths literally soaked in real Christians actual blood and apocalyptic horsemen pouring literal liquid wrath from actual bowls... I would say that that paragraphs and line breaks were the least of your problems.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 19:462 edits
    @thinkofone said
    Like other Christians who are unable to formulate a cogent argument addressing the points of my posts, KJ resorts to deflection: His latest "go to" is to ask off-topic questions. Typical.
    No, these are questions put to you for a very long time you refuse to answer. They are very to the point, if you cannot identify who the scriptures are talking about your interpretation of the rest is pretty much worthless.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 19:531 edit
    @kellyjay said
    No, these are questions put to you for a very long time you refuse to answer. They are very to the point, if you cannot identify who the scriptures are talking about your interpretation of the rest is pretty much worthless.
    ThinkOfOne,

KellyJay makes a good point here.

You should answer his question, I think.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 20:11
    @kellyjay said
    Evidently KJ felt compelled to demonstrate how #3 in my earlier post applies to him.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 20:12
    @fmf said
    ThinkOfOne,

KellyJay makes a good point here.

You should answer his question, I think.
    You didn't embarrass yourself enough earlier on this thread when you tried to blame your nonsensical assertion on "KellyJay's inarticulacy"?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 20:21
    @kellyjay said
    Alas, he can't answer that due to:

11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 20:231 edit
    @thinkofone said
    You didn't embarrass yourself enough earlier on this thread when you tried to blame your nonsensical assertion on "KellyJay's inarticulacy"?
    He pointed out to you the same thing I did, you should answer the questions put to you. I have to hand it to you thinkofone, your so obtuse that fmf and I are in agreement. That should clue you in how your refusal to answer these questions put to you by almost all of the Spirituality posters shows a great weakness in you.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 21:50
    @kellyjay said
    He pointed out to you the same thing I did, you should answer the questions put to you. I have to hand it to you thinkofone, your so obtuse that fmf and I are in agreement. That should clue you in how your refusal to answer these questions put to you by almost all of the Spirituality posters shows a great weakness in you.
    The sad thing is that evidently KJ is actually oblivious to the fact that FMF is willing to make any assertion, no matter how inane, in his effort to troll - as FMF did earlier when he tried to blame his nonsensical assertion on "KellyJay's inarticulacy".
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 22:32
    @thinkofone said
    The sad thing is that evidently KJ is actually oblivious to the fact that FMF is willing to make any assertion, no matter how inane, in his effort to troll - as FMF did earlier when he tried to blame his nonsensical assertion on "KellyJay's inarticulacy".
    You aware your responding to my post?
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 22:43
    @kellyjay said
    You aware your responding to my post?
    Have a think on it KJ.

Better yet, have someone read the posts on this thread and explain them to you.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 22:59
    @thinkofone said
    Have a think on it KJ.

Better yet, have someone read the posts on this thread and explain them to you.
    I did, it looked like you were talking to me in 2nd person instead of directly to me, so I thought you were confused in who you were responding to. No matter, feel free to insult me, or do whatever you want. If you ever get the nerve to a give and take conversation we can have one, in the mean time do whatever it is you think you are doing for your own amusement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree