1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 23:07
    @kellyjay said
    I did, it looked like you were talking to me in 2nd person instead of directly to me, so I thought you were confused in who you were responding to. No matter, feel free to insult me, or do whatever you want. If you ever get the nerve to a give and take conversation we can have one, in the mean time do whatever it is you think you are doing for your own amusement.
    If you ever get the nerve to a give and take conversation we can have one, in the mean time do whatever it is you think you are doing for your own amusement.

lol. You're free to actually address the points of my OP to you at any time.

Do you really not understand what's going on on you're own thread?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '19 23:161 edit
    @thinkofone said
    If you ever get the nerve to a give and take conversation we can have one, in the mean time do whatever it is you think you are doing for your own amusement.

lol. You're free to actually address the points of my OP to you at any time.

Do you really not understand what's going on on you're own thread?
    Actually this thread hasn't had anyone really discuss the point as much as they do me personally. You don't have conversations you simply spew what you think and move on. There isn't a conversation unless there is a give and take, you refuse to answer some of the basic questions. I'm not sure if your are ashamed of your own beliefs, cannot defend them, whatever the reasons they sure have put a clamp on your mouth that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 00:211 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Actually this thread hasn't had anyone really discuss the point as much as they do me personally. You don't have conversations you simply spew what you think and move on. There isn't a conversation unless there is a give and take, you refuse to answer some of the basic questions. I'm not sure if your are ashamed of your own beliefs, cannot defend them, whatever the reasons they sure have put a clamp on your mouth that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    lol. Try rereading the posts on this thread again. Better yet, have someone read the posts on this thread and explain them to you.

You're free to actually address the points of my OP to you at any time.

Do you really STILL not understand what's going on on you're own thread?
  4. Standard membermobster kitty
    mafia chief
    the safe house
    Moves
    20 Jan '19 01:08
    the original edition of the book of mormon is without chapter and verse. when later publishers decided to modernize it and put in punctuation and verses the fundamentalist christians who deride the bom would later say that these were "changes" meaning that the text was rewritten and reinterpreted when what was done was mere publishing format changes for modern readers.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 17:49
    For those that use BibleGateway they have an option to turn off verses. The Chapter breaks are still there but it is a start.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 17:581 edit
    @KellyJay

I recall that chapter numbers and verse numbers were not in the original Scriptures.
    And I have always wanted to read the Bible at least once through without chapter and verse numbers, to what what it would be like.

You encourage me to find one like that.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 18:095 edits
    @ThinkOfOne

Following are but a few:
    1) Assigning meaning to individual verses without first understanding the passage from which it was taken.

That is true. However some of us can also tell when someone wants us to "understand a passage" only after FIRST understanding their Humanism / Atheism.

For them the "context" is the presuppositions they brought to the Bible to begin with.

2) Believing dogma prior to assessing the veracity of that dogma.

True. I do care to find out "Well what does it really SAY here?"

You have also heard me say perhaps on many occasions that I don't believe that the Bible can be systematized 100%.
    IMO the Bible alludes man's attempt to systematize it into a logical flowchart like system of 100% consistency.

We are always in need of those who obey to help us understand and the Holy Spirit to guide His people and help them understand what God wants us to know.

The Bible in the interpretive hands of an obedient servant of God is very useful.
    The Bible in the interpretive hands of an Atheist or one committed to disobedience, is near useless and even destructive.

For example: "The Bible is the inerrant word of God". Those who believe this dogma invariably distort the actual meaning of verses / passages to remove inconsistencies, discrepancies, contradictions, etc. Those who believe this dogma invariably find a verse / passage or two to backup their beliefs and ignore any conflicting verses / passages.
    3) Poor reading comprehension, poor critical thinking skills, poor conceptual thinking skills, etc.

Maybe. But worse are those secretive unbelievers who salivate to find errors as a rationale to promote their Atheism.

Besides, many realistic Bible scholars believe in innerancy and recognize the obvious fact that copyists down through the ages made copying errors.

For a good debate on errors of copyists I recommend interested parties take the TIME and watch two qualified experts debate. Then they can make up their own minds as both sides are well presented.

Dr. Bart Ehrman vs. Dr. James White
    Does the Bible Misquote Jesus?

YouTube&t=4433s Part 1

YouTube&t=2028s Part 2

It is worth the watch. And if you're skeptical Bart Ehrman is your best bet to have your side represented.
    Loving Jesus - I'm biased. I'm rooting for James White
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 19:07
    @sonship said
    @KellyJay

I recall that chapter numbers and verse numbers were not in the original Scriptures.
    And I have always wanted to read the Bible at least once through without chapter and verse numbers, to what what it would be like.

You encourage me to find one like that.
    My wife and son and I now own ESV versions without chapters and verses. They still highlight at the top of the page the scriptures on each page. It is different reading each letter as a letter.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 21:29
    @KellyJay

I will check out the ESV.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Jan '19 22:57
    @sonship said
    @KellyJay

I will check out the ESV.
    Make sure you specifically look for no chapter verses?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 16:081 edit
    @KellyJay
    Yes. That is what I am wanting someday to own - a Bible for spiritual reading which has no chapter or verse delimiters.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 16:48
    @KellyJay

May we have an example?
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 16:57
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @KellyJay

May we have an example?
    It's not that big a deal.

Simply read the Bible ignoring the chapter and verse breaks.

Evidently some lack the wherewithal to do so.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 17:561 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    @KellyJay

May we have an example?
    Of what specifically? You ever read a letter broken out by chapter and verse?
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Jan '19 01:14
    @kellyjay said
    Of what specifically? You ever read a letter broken out by chapter and verse?
    Let's have an example of a Biblical passage that reads differently once you take the chapter and the verse breaks out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree