1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 15:09
    Originally posted by @js357
    Diversion noted.
    Follow along why don't you. My complaint was that something as simple has one thinking
    the earth is a different age as another was leading to religion taking over our country, or
    not agreeing a fossil is millions of years old would do that same and parents cannot teach
    their kids what they believe. Compared to what is being done now, that is what is pi$$ing
    someone off. Compared to losing ones freedom's crying like a little kid about these things
    are just so stinking sad compared to what is going on now.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 15:11
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    You might think differently when ISIS comes knocking down your door.

And there are people who'se profession it is to accurately date ancient fossils using all the science they can so for them it is very important dating the age of fossils. We don't have to worry much, not much connection to our daily lives but they want to figure out how things change over time. Gads, what's that called? Oh yeah, Evolution. Evil stuff that, eh.
    Well I believe I would think differently if that were to happen, which is not crying about one
    disagreeing with you on the age of a fossil.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 15:241 edit
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    As our rights are taken away and modified is where I am concerned much more than I am how old a fossil is thought to be. For crying out loud people are being jailed for collecting rain water falling on their homes and lands. There are more things to fear than religion at play here!
    Actually he was jailed for a long-term refusal to comply with Oregon state laws.

Oregon Water Resources Department Deputy Director Tom Paul tells the Medford Mail Tribune: “Mr. Harrington has operated these three reservoirs in flagrant violation of Oregon law for more than a decade. What we’re after is compliance with Oregon water law, regardless of what the public thinks of Mr. Harrington.”

A very short period of time following the expiration of his probation, he once again closed the gates and re-filled the reservoirs. So, this has been going on for some time and I think frankly the court felt that Mr. Harrington was not getting the message and decided that they’d already given him probation once and required him to open the gates and he refilled his reservoirs and it was business as usual for him, so I think the court wanted — it felt it needed — to give a stiffer penalty to get Mr. Harrington’s attention.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/16/gary-harrington-oregon-water-rainwater_n_1784378.html

Why should people be more afraid of someone being given a short jail term for a long-term refusal to comply with the law than a dismantling of the separation of church and state in the US?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 17:07
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I wouldn't exactly call it the "Iranization of the US", though.

How about "American Theocracy"?
    Works for me.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 21:52
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Works for me.
    And, like you, like most Americans, I'm against this.

Just wanted to be clear.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 21:59
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    And, like you, like most Americans, I'm against this.

Just wanted to be clear.
    I think the original settlers were thinking in terms of a theocracy though. The ones fleeing relgious persecution from the Btits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree