1. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 14:26
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Ecclesiastes 9:5
    New Life Version (NLV)

5 For the living know they will die. But "the dead know nothing", and they will receive nothing further, for they are forgotten.

It would seem by this scripture that the "Dead know nothing".
    So it would seem that if someone has been revived within a short amount of time, their brain had not totally died ...[text shortened]... re above would apply. Nothing more nothing less and a very simple scripture to understand.
    Who do you think is a greater authority Solomon or Jesus Christ?
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 14:551 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Yes, I know I've been an ass-hat here or there but this is an honest question for EVERYONE.

I don't care about your faith (meaning this is open to all and I hope to hear from many different people with different beliefs).

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script you die.

What books would be good to read, what story does it tell... etc.

Thanks.
    "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis is a short no-nonsense quick read well worth

your time, which you could easily find on Amazon or Ebay for a few bucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_Christianity

gb
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 15:25
    Originally posted by sumydid
    I would recommend a fascinating book that touches on many different non-mainstream areas of interest and study.

This is a fairly short book that anyone who has a pulse, would have a hard time putting down. I've read it several times.

[b]The God Hypothesis : Extraterrestrial Life and Its Implications for Science and Religion

http://www.amazon.com/God-Hypothesis-Extraterrestrial-Implications-Millennium/dp/0926524402[/b]
    Thanks sumydid, I'll check it out.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 15:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis is a short no-nonsense quick read well worth

your time, which you could easily find on Amazon or Ebay for a few bucks.

[b]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_Christianity

gb[/b]
    Wow GB, think I might find it... just perhaps... find it.... AT THE LIBRARY?

I don't shop big box type retailers. I was SO MAD when Tom Hanks and Fox

Books ran Meg Ryan's small town bookstore out of business. That's LAME!~
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 15:53
    Wow GB, think I might find it... just perhaps... find it.... AT THE LIBRARY?

I don't shop big box type retailers. I was SO MAD when Tom Hanks and Fox

Books ran Meg Ryan's small town bookstore out of business. That's LAME!~
    Of course your local library will have it for loan, Phlab. Mentioned Ebay or Amazon in case you too like to make comments to yourself and place question marks in the page margins and underscore paragraph highlights as I do. Area second hand bookshops would also present another option. Miss my own page worn paperback which I mailed to my son Eric a few years ago.

C.S. Lewis' style is logical and to the point, without excess verbiage, yet full of surprise chapter endings. Within the first ten pages, he presents the reader with the proposition: "Truth was here before we arrived and will still be here when we're gone. It's our individual opportunity and privilege to apprehend it". He then proceeds to summarize his own pilgrim's progress from darkness into light. Even the Wiki article gives a definite sense of the clarity with which Lewis undertook his pragmatic search for truth.

gb
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 17:52
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Focus on the Bible instead of your granddaughter's bib and you will be a bigger and better man.
    I thought you were not supposed to mention books of mythology in this forum? Anyway, you said bib first.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 19:081 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    In the last few decades medical science has advanced to the point where they have able to revive the clinically dead as much as 30 to 40 min after 'death'.
    And also in the last few decades, medical science has advanced to the point where it is patently obvious that life after death is impossible.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 19:12
    Yes, I know I've been an ass-hat here or there but this is an honest question for EVERYONE.

I don't care about your faith (meaning this is open to all and I hope to hear from many different people with different beliefs).

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script ...[text shortened]... you die.

What books would be good to read, what story does it tell... etc.

Thanks.
    You already know the truth, you just don't like the recent fashion outfits.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 19:29
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Ecclesiastes 9:5
    New Life Version (NLV)

5 For the living know they will die. But "the dead know nothing", and they will receive nothing further, for they are forgotten.

It would seem by this scripture that the "Dead know nothing".
    So it would seem that if someone has been revived within a short amount of time, their brain had not totally died ...[text shortened]... re above would apply. Nothing more nothing less and a very simple scripture to understand.
    Ecclesiastes 9:3-6

This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead. For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion. For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

A text without a context is a pretext. Consider the context. Clearly this passage is referring to those who are evil. You are misunderstanding the verse. "The dead", "neither have they any more reward", and "the memory of them is forgotten".

It is in contrast to those who believe and live by faith, and who have an eternal hope of everlasting life.

2 Corinthians 5:8 - We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 19:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And also in the last few decades, medical science has advanced to the point where it is patently obvious that life after death is impossible.
    For the dead body to be sure, but life is more then merely biological.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 20:041 edit
    Originally posted by josephw

For the dead body to be sure, but life is more then merely biological.
    Agree. Human beings are born physically alive and spiritually dead. Body is a temporary tent.

Like it or not, the immortal soul (the real you) will live at one of two addresses for all eternity.

gb
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 20:17
    Agree. Human beings are born physically alive and spiritually dead. Body is a temporary tent.

Like it or not, the immortal soul (the real you) will live at one of two addresses for all eternity.

gb
    I have a question for you Grampy, and it isn't presumptuous. What you said is true. I know that and you know that, but how do we know it's true?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 21:102 edits

I have a question for you Grampy, and it isn't presumptuous. What you said is true. I know that and you know that, but how do we know it's true?
    At birth human beings are given three (3) Means of Perception: Empiricism (witness it in the lab or elsewhere); Rationalism (think it through, reason it out); and Faith Perception (acquiring fact from an individual whose authority you accept).

Learning about causes of chemical reactions in test tubes in high school; learning any subject, such as advanced calculus or chess by thinking the constructs through; and accepting as true the premise that places named Austrailia and Austria exist, at a great distance apart from each other, from a parent or teacher provide respective examples of each of the three.

Faith Perception is in play here. And "faith" refers to both the universal process of believing as well as the body of knowledge which is believed or system of belief. First two Means of Perception confer credit or merit upon the recipient. Third confers none. That's why worship of manmade idols and religion equals man by man's efforts trying to gain the approval of God.

Christianity is a secure relationship in time and eternity in which Christ did the work (substitutionary spiritual death or separation from the Father, so that we might live) necessary to satisfy His Justice and Righteousness (or divine integrity), thereby reconciling any and all desiring to receive His Grace Gift of Salvation and eternal happiness unto Himself.

Here's the bottom line, JW: Eventually everybody places their trust in someone whose person and authority they accept. Moment my brain waves cease, I'll be absent from the body and face to face with my Lord and Savior.

In and because of Christ,

Bobby
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 21:18
    At birth human beings are given three (3) Means of Perception: Empiricism (witness it in the lab or elsewhere); Rationalism (think it through, reason it out); and Faith Perception (acquiring fact from an individual whose authority you accept).

Learning about causes of chemical reactions in test tubes in high school; learning any subject, such as adva ...[text shortened]... m the body and face to face with my Lord and Savior.

In and because of Christ,

Bobby
    Very well put Bobby. Much appreciated. I love the sound of Truth.

Some Christians say this platitude; God said it, I believe it, therefore it's true.

I think it would be more accurate to say; God said it, therefore it's true.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 21:22
    Very well put Bobby. Much appreciated. I love the sound of Truth.

Some Christians say this platitude; God said it, I believe it, therefore it's true.

I think it would be more accurate to say; God said it, therefore it's true.
    How about a relaxed game of chess... unrated 1/3 or 3/7 with you as white?

😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree