1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 06:58
    Originally posted by mikelom
    NOT FUNNY!

You have no idea, in your luxury of non-fooledness.

Apologies, non-floodedness.

It's getting desperate here, and you add an empty whim. Thanks so much. 🙁

[b][i]-M 😠
    No humor intended.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 07:32
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Yes, I know I've been an ass-hat here or there but this is an honest question for EVERYONE.

I don't care about your faith (meaning this is open to all and I hope to hear from many different people with different beliefs).

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script ...[text shortened]... you die.

What books would be good to read, what story does it tell... etc.

Thanks.
    if you feel the need to believe anything beyond this life, then you have already failed life.
    you will find no credible evidence from any source, not even personal experience.

if you want something good to read, try to find the stories of nasreddin hoja

Reaching enlightenment

Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of followers. Whatever Nasreddin did, his followers immediately copied. Every few steps Nasreddin would stop and shake his hands in the air, touch his feet and jump up yelling "Hu Hu Hu!". So his followers would also stop and do exactly the same thing.
    One of the merchants, who knew Nasreddin, quietly asked him: "What are you doing my old friend? Why are these people imitating you?"
    "I have become a Sufi Sheikh," replied Nasreddin. "These are my Murids (spiritual seekers); I am helping them reach enlightenment!"
    "How do you know when they reach enlightenment?"
    "That’s the easy part! Every morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:13
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I mean no disrespect by suggesting this but I do think that salvation religions tend to attract those that have lost their way, feel powerless, have lost their connection to their community or tribe (if you want to go back in history), are suffering from anomie, etc. I believe this is the story of Christianity's rise from a very small, fringe religion to a glo ...[text shortened]... eally gained a large/majority footprint despite a massive and long standing missionary effort?
    Not to mention appealing to the feeble-minded, eh?

Yes, we've all heard this argument before, that we must be Christians due to some personal failing in our own lives.

The more realistic reason is that, like all humans, we're sinners. Unlike some humans, however, we acknowledge that we're sinners and therefore fall short of the glory of God, and therefore gratefully accept Christ's sacrifice at Calvary.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:23
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The more realistic reason is that, like all humans, we're sinners. Unlike some humans, however, we acknowledge that we're sinners and therefore fall short of the glory of God, and therefore gratefully accept Christ's sacrifice at Calvary.
    Does your god forgive people who enter fantasy football leagues who don't take the 2 minutes each week necessary to log in, make a couple of team changes and log off again? I'm not sure if i would risk it...
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:29
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Does your god forgive people who enter fantasy football leagues who don't take the 2 minutes each week necessary to log in, make a couple of team changes and log off again? I'm not sure if i would risk it...
    My season was over at week three.
  6. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:38
    I realise now. You play so many games!
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:41
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    if you feel the need to believe anything beyond this life, then you have already failed life.
    you will find no credible evidence from any source, not even personal experience.

if you want something good to read, try to find the stories of nasreddin hoja

Reaching enlightenment

Nasreddin was walking in the bazaar with a large group of f ...[text shortened]... morning I count them. The ones who have left – have reached enlightenment!"
    I look forward to the time when two JWs on this site become as enlightened.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 08:45
    I disagree, 6 teams from 12 in the playoffs, it just takes one nice winning streak. @2-5 with 6th @ 4-3, you've still got a shot. Plus even if you didn't make the playoffs you could affect who does... you've got a nice match-up this week, why not make it 3-5 and see what happens? You've actually got a decent team.
  9. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 09:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I look forward to the day when one person on this site becomes fully enlightened, including myself.

Maybe it was Dasa? 555.... lol..... 😀

-m.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 09:04
    2 of the next 5 weeks are against guys who have only 1 win, the other 3 against people who are 4-3. 4 wins which is completely possible if you change your team a bit, get rid of the couple of injured players, change your dud TE and you've got one of the best defenses in the NFL on the bench each week and you'd probably be in one of the playoff spots with 6-6 with one week remaining.
  11. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 09:08
    Forum hi-jack?

Can you hi-jack Thailand please? 😲

-m.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 12:37
    Not to mention appealing to the feeble-minded, eh?

Yes, we've all heard this argument before, that we must be Christians due to some personal failing in our own lives.

Suzianne I think you are missing my point and so I will clarify. I am not at all trying to say that I think everyone that becomes a Christian does so because they are weak minded, vulnerable, fools. I do think this is often the case and incidentally I don't think there is anything at all wrong with that or wrong with saying that.

However, my comments have really been more addressed, as food for thought, regarding the larger question as to why Christianity spread successfully in certain place and cultures yet failed in others or even more interesting had to evolve to accomodate yet others. I think Thomas O'Dea (Sociologist of religion; Ph.D., Harvard University) provides an interesting explanation:

"People suffering from extreme deprivation and people suffering from anomie (some groups may be experiencing both) display a considerable responsiveness to religions which preach a message of salvation - that is, which present the world as a place of toil and suffering, and offer some means of deliverance from it. Christianity is a religion of this kind. It offers the beleiver salvation through participation in Christ's victory over evil and death."
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 15:02
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Suzianne I think you are missing my point and so I will clarify. I am not at all trying to say that I think everyone that becomes a Christian does so because they are weak minded, vulnerable, fools. I do think this is often the case and incidentally I don't think there is anything at all wrong with that or wrong with saying that.

However, my comments hav ...[text shortened]... fers the beleiver salvation through participation in Christ's victory over evil and death."
    I wonder if Mr. Thomas O'Dea (Sociologist of religion; Ph.D., Harvard University), has a theory for why people develop theories which make no sense, and another theory for why people believe those theories which have no empirical support. Mind you Im not saying that those who develop those theories or those who believe those theories are weak minded, vulnerable, fools ... 😀
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 15:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I look forward to the time when all the sects of christianity, all the sects of islam, all the sects of judaism all become enlightened and decide they don't have to kill in the name of their respective religions.

No god would be content to let things go as they are, christians killing other so-called christians and muslims and jews for 2000 years, muslims killing other muslims, christians and jews for 1300 years. This fact alone proves all three of those sects are not made by a god but just talented snake oil salesmen bent on controlling other people and subjugating women.
  15. Wat?
    Moves
    30 Oct '11 16:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I look forward to the time when all the sects of christianity, all the sects of islam, all the sects of judaism all become enlightened and decide they don't have to kill in the name of their respective religions.

No god would be content to let things go as they are, christians killing other so-called christians and muslims and jews for 2000 years, musli ...[text shortened]... od but just talented snake oil salesmen bent on controlling other people and subjugating women.
    Did you ever hear of a Buddhist war?

Just a question. 😉

your fiend. (arrrgh) 🙂

-m.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree