1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 20:33
    Yes, I know I've been an ass-hat here or there but this is an honest question for EVERYONE.

I don't care about your faith (meaning this is open to all and I hope to hear from many different people with different beliefs).

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious scripture out of this... what credible historical events (well documented / several witnesses etc.) could make someone believe there may be more to life than "just becoming worm food" when you die.

What books would be good to read, what story does it tell... etc.

Thanks.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 20:38
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Yes, I know I've been an ass-hat here or there but this is an honest question for EVERYONE.

I don't care about your faith (meaning this is open to all and I hope to hear from many different people with different beliefs).

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script ...[text shortened]... you die.

Thanks.
    Without personal experience no books will suffice. I would start with Zen literature. Depends on you really
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 20:44
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Without personal experience no books will suffice. I would start with Zen literature. Depends on you really
    Who was the guy that went around and figured out what was making people sick, he even told a doctor how to operate on him or something like that.

These are the stories I'm looking for. There must be more.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 21:45

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script ...[text shortened]... you die.

Thanks.
    Thread 142739

Personal experience leads the path to enlightenment.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 21:55

Thanks.
    In the last few decades medical science has advanced to the point where they have able to revive the clinically dead as much as 30 to 40 min after 'death'.

Google it and see some of the reports of those who 'came back from the dead'. Some of it is quite interesting. Then read the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 16. Just as in Luke 16, some found themselves going to a place of heavenly peace and happiness while others were transported to a place of horror and torment.

There is no hard evidence but it would seem that something happens after you die which nobody can fully explain or understand.

But according to the Bib ... sorry. 🙂
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 22:212 edits

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script you die.

Thanks.
    If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more...

In the movie Run Lola Run, Lola's boyfriend is moaning and whining about when he'll be dead. Lola says, Manni -- you're not dead yet.

I'd say that. You're not dead yet. Live your life.

YouTube
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 22:26
    Originally posted by JS357
    Run Lola Run
    A classic.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Oct '11 23:46

Thanks.
    If there is an afterlife, and there is some spirit part of us (call it a soul) that lives on after we die....
    Then that is something that is happening here and now, in the present....

Why would you look for evidence of such a thing in the past, in history?

If it is really happening then we should look for the evidence in the present day, not in the past.

Likewise, If god exists, he/she/it/they exist now, and now is when we should look for evidence,
    With all the manifest inadequacies of ancient documents and eyewitness testimonies they will
    never be enough to justify belief in, let alone prove, the supernatural in any form.

If you want to prove the supernatural exists, in the present, you should present proof in the present,
    not from the past.
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 02:001 edit

If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious script you die.

Thanks.
    I would recommend a fascinating book that touches on many different non-mainstream areas of interest and study.

This is a fairly short book that anyone who has a pulse, would have a hard time putting down. I've read it several times.

The God Hypothesis : Extraterrestrial Life and Its Implications for Science and Religion

http://www.amazon.com/God-Hypothesis-Extraterrestrial-Implications-Millennium/dp/0926524402
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 02:33
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    In the last few decades medical science has advanced to the point where they have able to revive the clinically dead as much as 30 to 40 min after 'death'.

Google it and see some of the reports of those who 'came back from the dead'. Some of it is quite interesting. Then read the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 16. Just as in Luke 16, some fo ...[text shortened]... e which nobody can fully explain or understand.

According to the bib, my granddaughter just made a BIG mess on her plate.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 04:32
    Originally posted by Trev33
    A classic.
    Multiple universes, Gauguin's questions, the whole ball of wax.

Check into this clip at about 2:00, for some philosophical underpinnings.

YouTube&feature=related
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 05:25
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    According to the bib, my granddaughter just made a BIG mess on her plate.
    Focus on the Bible instead of your granddaughter's bib and you will be a bigger and better man.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 06:43

Google it and see some of the reports of those who 'came back from the dead'. Some of it is quite interesting. Then read the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus in Luke 16. Just as in Luke 16, some fo ...[text shortened]... e which nobody can fully explain or understand.

I have had post-death experiences which have lead to both heavenly places and hellish places.
    After subsequent meditation on the way these things work, I realised that only "bad" that I experienced in these hieghtened states were the "bad vibes" I brought with me.
    The bad vibes were accentuated in these higher realms to the point where they were nightmarish.
    But when entering these states with a clear,focussed,detached mind, I found a place that would most rightly be called "heavenly" .
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 13:52

Thanks.
    "If you wanted someone to believe in anything beyond just living and ending up dead with nothing more, keeping any religious scripture out of this... what credible historical events (well documented / several witnesses etc.) could make someone believe there may be more to life than "just becoming worm food" when you die."

Yes there is credible historical evidence. Simply go outside on a quite, clear, starry night and see yourself. Forget as best you can all the noisy explanations generated by man about what you see. Just see it for what it is. And believe.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    29 Oct '11 14:041 edit

Ecclesiastes 9:5
    New Life Version (NLV)

5 For the living know they will die. But "the dead know nothing", and they will receive nothing further, for they are forgotten.

It would seem by this scripture that the "Dead know nothing".
    So it would seem that if someone has been revived within a short amount of time, their brain had not totally died. And since their brain had not totally died they would still have some conscientious and thought processes still happening and in some instances could recall thoughts or sounds or lights they may have noticed while they were still within this short time before their brain would finally be dead.
    Once this short time period would pass and no more chance of reviving them were possible, then their brain would be dead and the scripture above would apply. Nothing more nothing less and a very simple scripture to understand.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree