Why? What is it? Tibetan?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 06:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why? What is it? Tibetan?
    Tibetan,yes I think so. From "The Tibetan book of the dead" but also accosiated with Hindu philosophy in a general way to describe the different realms of conciousness.
    edit: the different realms which are accesible here and now are described as "heaven" in the christian belief system. Hence the problem of the word "AFTERlife"
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 07:04
    "the needs of the many versus the needs of the individual" (could work on better wording)
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 07:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Tibetan,yes I think so. From "The Tibetan book of the dead" but also accosiated with Hindu philosophy in a general way to describe the different realms of conciousness.
    edit: the different realms which are accesible here and now are described as "heaven" in the christian belief system. Hence the problem of the word "AFTERlife"
    So you want all the sermons to be about Hindu philosophy to some degree?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 07:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you want all the sermons to be about Hindu philosophy to some degree?
    in a way.
    My hindu belief says to me that we are all hindus in one way or another.(this is a very loose interpretation)
    But I dont mind suspending that belief so as not to spoil my decision making
  6. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 08:17
    I wonder who's up-thumbing all the topics with connections to communism?

Come out, rwingett! Wherever you are!
  7. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 10:04
    I am somewhat taken with this idea. As far as I understand it, those who wish to participate wait for the themes to be worked out and line up and have a go? I think I'd like to 'ave a go".
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 11:31
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    I wonder who's up-thumbing all the topics with connections to communism?

Come out, rwingett! Wherever you are!
    Who me? Surely not!
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Sep '11 21:55
    Despite FMF quitting as a judge, I think he has already provided some good topic ideas that I'm still happy to go with.

If this thing goes ahead,that is ..
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 02:37
    Ok, ok, since I"m now a judge here it goes.

"Truth, lies, and the gray matter between our ears"

"Need verses desire, is there a difference?"

"If you love someone or something, must you set them free?"

"Knowledge verse wisdom"
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 03:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok, ok, since I"m now a judge here it goes.

"Truth, lies, and the gray matter between our ears"

"Need verses desire, is there a difference?"

"Knowledge verse wisdom"
    I'm sold. Lets go.
    Voidspirit get in the spirit or spout off please. You are complexifying this too much(other thread).
    I'd like to get this on the road ...
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 05:271 edit
    This thread is dedicated to the upcoming sermon competition. The three judges selected are FMF, karoly aczel, and yo its me. The three of you can now commence the discussion to decide what the topic shall be and will be given until 9/11 as a deadline to decide. Then another thread will be created for the sermons to be delivered. If one of the judges does not respond, then we will proceed without them.

Go!!
    Many of the nominated sermons are slanted. Given the 9/11 deadline, I nominate, "The spiritual lesson of September 11, 2001" as sermon #1. I also suggest that the judges impose a word limit and a deadline. Any sermons judged by a majority of the judges as preaching more than one lesson, or judged as not being spiritual, or not being about 9/11/01, or not being within the word limit, or not being on time, are disqualified.

Edit: Some may think this topic to be US-centric. But we are all subject to such circumstances. What do we make of them, spiritually?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 05:45
    "Something happened the other day. Just an ordinary thing. But it got me thinking."
  14. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 05:483 edits
    Hello! a message would have been useful!!!!
    These are the sugestions I like so far that have been posted;

Originally posted by FMF
    "Parenting by couples with different faiths."
    "At what cost does religion involve itself and disassociate itself from politics?"
    "There must be more to life than this."

"Knowledge verse wisdom"

Originally posted by JS357
    "What do we make of incidents like 9/11/01 spiritually?"

If FMF isn't a judge anymore- can I ask who the judges are?

My ideas are very similar to ones already posted-
    'How my faith/ absence of faith changes the way I live my life'
    'what my beleif says about my value'

edit; and FMFs last one, that's a nice open one but could go in any direction.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 05:511 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Many of the nominated sermons are slanted. Given the 9/11 deadline, I nominate, "The spiritual lesson of September 11, 2001" as sermon #1. I also suggest that the judges impose a word limit and a deadline. Any sermons judged by a majority of the judges as preaching more than one lesson, or judged as not being spiritual, or not being about 9/11/01, or not being ...[text shortened]... S-centric. But we are all subject to such circumstances. What do we make of them, spiritually?
    Struth. I have taken refuge at Spirituality because Debates has become more US-centric than it has been for years. So, as a non-American who doesn't think that American Christians/Americans contemplating their own exceptionalism/victimhood (as no doubt some of the contributions will amount to) is an interesting starting point for a sermon with international, universal appeal or resonance, I will sit this one out if it's selected. Not that my contribution matters a fig.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree