You first
    If you two love us, set us free from this OT bickering. 😉
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:18
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's "perceived." Ha, how do you perceive that intellect now?
    About what?
    (Are you questioning my ability to be a sound judge? I dont care if you are, I just wanna know)
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:23
    Originally posted by JS357
    I tried...

Sorry everyone,I'll try to ignore that which is not so relevant the op, but I am a pasionate,emotional,outspoken guy.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:24
    Fear not. Looks like karoly is trying to pick a fight with rwingett now. 😀
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    This thread is dedicated to the upcoming sermon competition. The three judges selected are FMF, karoly aczel, and yo its me. The three of you can now commence the discussion to decide what the topic shall be and will be given until 9/11 as a deadline to decide. Then another thread will be created for the sermons to be delivered. If one of the judges does not respond, then we will proceed without them.

Go!!
    What makes a sermon a good sermon?
    This is beginning to remind me of speech class except without a teacher present.

http://www.calvin.edu/library/database/crcpi/fulltext/csf/spring2002.pdf#page=9

It's a pdf. You have to go to page 9.

Cites three criteria for a good sermon: communicational excellence, biblical faithfulness, and transformational power.

In our context of this forum, the second of these might be "faithfulness to a spiritual basis or standard." This could be religious or secular, it could be WWJD or the categorical imperative.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:342 edits
    For anyone who is interested, I am a Christian. But I think there are many kinds of Christians and I haven't decided where my beleifs fall into where there are some very different denominations- for anyone interested;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

On the whole, about the main issues, I agree with most Christians.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 16:41
    Originally posted by yo its me
    For anyone who is interested, I am a Christian. But I think there are many kinds of Christians and I haven't decided where my beleifs fall into where there are some very different denominations- for anyone interested;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations

On the whole, about the main issues, I agree with most Christians.
    As I understand the teachings of Jesus , I also have no problem with christianity, despite not calling myslef a christian.

Despite you agreeing with christians "with most issues" ,I cant recall when I've come upon a lame post by you.

Either way, I'm sure whodey would like you as a judge (so he can sermonize 🙂 )
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 18:59
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    As I understand the teachings of Jesus , I also have no problem with christianity, despite not calling myslef a christian.

Despite you agreeing with christians "with most issues" ,I cant recall when I've come upon a lame post by you.

Either way, I'm sure whodey would like you as a judge (so he can sermonize 🙂 )
    How about the topic, "What does it mean to be a Christian?"
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 18:591 edit
    What makes a sermon a good sermon?
    This is beginning to remind me of speech class except without a teacher present.

http://www.calvin.edu/library/database/crcpi/fulltext/csf/spring2002.pdf#page=9

It's a pdf. You have to go to page 9.

Cites three criteria for a good sermon: communicational excellence, biblical faithfulness, and transformational power. tandard." This could be religious or secular, it could be WWJD or the categorical imperative.
    Great adivice. How would you like to be a judge? Also, what is your particular faith if any?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 19:01
    How about the topic, "What does it mean to be a Christian?"
    No please. Can we just leave any specific religon out of the title? (Unless of course evryone else votes for it, in which case I will go with it)
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Sep '11 21:30
    Great adivice. How would you like to be a judge? Also, what is your particular faith if any?
    I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about how this should go. 🙂 No good deed goes unpunished.

How does it work? Are the judges expected to review and comment on each sermon? Will the sermons be in the form of posts, to be read? I guess you can count me as an alternate, of the non-militant, non-theistic, formerly Catholic variety, but only if the more veteran members of the group are not up for it.

As an example of a 'sermon' I like, I have posted a story about Narada a couple of times on this forum, the first time after the Japan earthquake and tsunami.

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=138434&page=1
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 01:562 edits
    I guess I should have kept my mouth shut about how this should go. 🙂 No good deed goes unpunished.

How does it work? Are the judges expected to review and comment on each sermon? Will the sermons be in the form of posts, to be read? I guess you can count me as an alternate, of the non-militant, non-theistic, formerly Catholic variety, but only if the more thquake and tsunami.

http://www.chessatwork.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=138434&page=1
    Great!!

I think we have come up with the sermon topic.

"Knowledge verses wisdom"

The judges will be

1. Yo its me "Christian persuasion"
    2. karoly aczel "Hindu persuasion"
    3. JS 357 "atheist persuasion"

A nice mix.

The sermons will commense on Saturday, 9/10 and will continue for one week the following Saturday. Then the judging will begin.

From here on out you, the judges, can decide on how you wish to set up the judgement process with gavel in hand.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 02:42
    so we going to go with rwingetts suggestion and give 3 ,2 ,1 points for our fave and a little blurb on each?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 04:30
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    so we going to go with rwingetts suggestion and give 3 ,2 ,1 points for our fave and a little blurb on each?
    Sure. 3 for favorite, on down, with a blurb on each of the three. Whodey, I prefer to be called of the non-theist persuasion, as more inclusive. There is no need for you to issue a correction. And the topic would be spelled "Knowledge versus wisdom." Otherwise, "Knowledge verses wisdom" might get poetry. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 🙂
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    09 Sep '11 04:38
    Great!!

I think we have come up with the sermon topic.

"Knowledge verses wisdom"

The judges will be

1. Yo its me "Christian persuasion"
    2. karoly aczel "Hindu persuasion"
    3. JS 357 "atheist persuasion"

A nice mix.

The sermons will commense on Saturday, 9/10 and will continue for one week the following Saturday. Then the judging will begin ...[text shortened]... e judges, can decide on how you wish to set up the judgement process with gavel in hand.
    I will be in Ashland, Oregon next weekend completing the other half of the OSF season's plays, (the weekend of the deadline) so will probably not read anything until after that. Could all submissions be in response to this thread, or another purpose-named thread, and start with something like "This is my sermon"?

http://www.osfashland.org/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree