1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 12:08
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Because the conversion process was made a lot easier by letting people continue to practice their long standing folk customs. Even better if you can integrate Christ with the major celebrations of the year.
    Yes, smart move. Converting beloved local deities into saints isn't a bad idea either.
  2. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 13:021 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Xmas has nothing at all to do with Jesus Christ.

The traditions associated with Xmas are all of pagan origin.
    Well Christmas has everything to do with the birth of Christ for me and my family. And our church, In fact most of the Christians in the world celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas day. It may not be the exact day that Christ was born on, but I'm sure that Jesus won't snub his nose at the love that's in our hearts for Him and our worship of Him by picking Dec, 25th to honor His birth in remembrance.

And most of the traditions that Christians have today associated with honoring the birth of Christ on Christmas day are not paganism today. Who cares about the origin from well over 1000 years ago. It's whats in our hearts today.

Most Christians today also worship and have their sabbath on Sunday instead of Saturday. I didn't even know till about 20 years ago that somewhere along the line someone had changed it from Saturday to Sunday. but I know God still honors our worship on the day I and most Christians worship on. Which is Sunday today.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 13:17

the genesis is of babylonian origin and adopted by jewish people and later by fundamentalists. the story of noah is of sumerian origin i think.

your point is?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 13:22
    christmas is about rejoicing that Jesus was born, again(to be killed again next year on easter) 😀

Seriously now, since Jesus is a quite important figure in christian religion, why not commemorate his birthday through celebration. Since his birth is a cause for joy, why not be happy about it and share the message of love with the loved ones.

After all americans celebrate the 4th of july, should they stop just because the french celebrate a national day too?
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 14:56
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Does the same apply to Easter? Are the Easter Bunny, the Easter Egg and the Resurrection all pagan stories too?
    Well yeah, sort of. The Easter bunny and Easter eggs are another example of heathen (i.e. Germanic folk customs) being integrated into a Christian celebration.

Do you know the origin of the name Easter? According to the 8th century Christian scholar St. Bede or the "Venerable Bede" Easter is derived from the name Eastre (in Anglo Saxon) or Ostara (in German) both refer to the heathen goddess of spring.

And of course doesn't make sense to celebrate the "resurrection" of Christ at the beginning of Spring (i.e. a time of rebirth)?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 15:00
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    That doesn't answer the question exactly.

Is there anything wrong with Christians celebrating Christmas? Having a little fun?
    To get right to the point of this thread. Even though it is clear that both Christmas and Easter have heathen origins and heathen folk customs (such as decorating a tree - leaving offerings for the elf that comes down the chimney, etc., easter eggs, etc.) integrated within those celebrations I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with Christians celebrating those holidays.

Christians only start to concern me when they stop having a good time and become ultra-serious and evangelical about their religion. Go on decorate a frigging tree, have some egg nog, and lighten up!
  7. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 19:41
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Youve got the 'smiley-face' disease Epi.
    I notice many so-called followers of Christ make some utterly stupid statement and follow it with a smileyface as if that is supposed to make it ok.

Exactly what is 'pagan' or 'of pagan origin', and how is Christmas of pagan origin?
    Lighten up, Raj. Sheesh.
  8. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 20:592 edits
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]Xmas has nothing at all to do with Jesus Christ.
    Well Christmas has everything to do with the birth of Christ for me and my family. And our church, In fact most of the Christians in the world celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas day. It may not be the exact day that Christ was born on, but I'm sure that Jesus won't snub his nose at the ill honors our worship on the day I and most Christians worship on. Which is Sunday today.[/b]
    It may not be the exact day that Christ was born on, but I'm sure that Jesus won't snub his nose at the love that's in our hearts for Him and our worship of Him by picking Dec, 25th to honor His birth in remembrance.

Dec. 25th was the day Romans celebrated the birth of the Sun (Sol Invictus). Liberius chose the date in 354 A.D. But the early Christians were never instructed by God to recognize Christ's birthday and, until Liberius, no Christian ever had. Xmas was created for the sake of pagans, not Christians. The only traditions which Christ instructed believers to recognize were, essentially, baptism and the Eucharist. By contrast, Xmas is a human invention. Jesus definitely won't snub his nose at the love in your heart, nevertheless God has zero respect for human tradition. After all, even those who thumb their noses at Jesus Christ, who lack any amount of faith in him, still manage to celebrate his birthday every year.

And most of the traditions that Christians have today associated with honoring the birth of Christ on Christmas day are not paganism today. Who cares about the origin from well over 1000 years ago. It's whats in our hearts today.

The Xmas tree has its origin in pagan idol worship. Evergreens were important fertility emblems marking the winter solstice. (BTW, the custom of kissing under the mistletoe comes from the ancient idea that mistletoe is the oak's genitals, and so it was believed that an embrace underneath was a sure guarantee of a fruitful union.) For centuries before Christianity, holly was used for celebrating Saturnalia (another name for the pagan god, Nimrod). Nimrod's birthday was December 25th, and the evergreen tree symbolized the springing forth of new life for Nimrod. They believed that Nimrod would visit the tree and leave gifts underneath it during Saturnalia.

Here's what God said about the pagan tradition of Saturnalia:

"Thus says the LORD: “Do not learn the way of the Gentiles; do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the Gentiles are dismayed at them. For the customs of the peoples are futile; for one cuts a tree from the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax. They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with nails and hammers so that it will not topple" (Jeremiah 10:2-4).

Most Christians today also worship and have their sabbath on Sunday instead of Saturday. I didn't even know till about 20 years ago that somewhere along the line someone had changed it from Saturday to Sunday. but I know God still honors our worship on the day I and most Christians worship on. Which is Sunday today.

I think it was Constantine who declared Sunday the new day of rest, and this was also done for the sake of pagan tradition (Sunday was traditionally the day on which the Sun was worshipped). Saturday was and still is the true Sabbath day. However, the early Christians worshipped God every day of the week, holding morning and evening services.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 21:493 edits
    [b]It may not be the exact day that Christ was born on, but I'm sure that Jesus won't snub his nose at the love that's in our hearts for Him and our worship of Him by picking Dec, 25th to honor His birth in remembrance.

Dec. 25th was the day Romans celebrated the birth of the Sun (Sol Invictus). Liberius chose the date in 354 A.D. But the ristians worshipped God every day of the week, holding morning and evening services.[/b]
    Mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo.
    I think it was Constantine who declared Sunday the new day of rest,
    Yep, right about the time he declared that there was a trinity for the pagan traditions. 3 Gods for the One purpose of God the father. A pow wow of Gods family so to speak. Notice that Rome fell very soon after. It's clear by scripture that there is only one God. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,are all One and the same God. Jesus (God come in the flesh) fulfilled the law when He suffered and died on the cross for us all. So therefore it does not matter if I have my sabbath on Saturday or Sunday. Even tho I would prefer Saturday, Sunday is all that fits into my, and most christians schedule at this time. God, aka as Jesus, will look over it and at my heart. There is no law anymore. Only love for Him and my fellow man.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 00:161 edit
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]I think it was Constantine who declared Sunday the new day of rest,

Yep, right about the time he declared that there was a trinity for the pagan traditions. 3 Gods for the One purpose of God the father. A pow wow of Gods family so to speak. Notice that Rome fell very soon after. It's clear by scriptur ...[text shortened]... l look over it and at my heart. There is no law anymore. Only love for Him and my fellow man.[/b]

It is interesting that the term "mumb-jumbo" was first coined in reference to ritualized idol worship. The use of this term is quite relevant when discussing the roots of Xmas tradition.

Yep, right about the time he declared that there was a trinity for the pagan traditions.

It was the Council of Nicea that declared the Trinity orthodox, not Constantine. In fact, for years after the council's decision Constantine remained an adherent of Arianism. Furthermore, the Trinity has nothing to do with paganism.

God, aka as Jesus, will look over it and at my heart. There is no law anymore. Only love for Him and my fellow man.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law" (Romans 3:31).
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 01:574 edits
    [b]Mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo, mumbo jumbo.

It is interesting that the term "mumb-jumbo" was first coined in reference to ritualized idol worship. The use of this term is quite relevant when discussing the roots of Xmas tradition.

Yep, right about the time he declared that there was a trinity for the pagan traditions.

It is interest he law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law" (Romans 3:31).[/b]

lol, I got it from a lawyer firm commercial advertising their lawyers and how you need them in court. LOL

"Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law" (Romans 3:31).
    you left a a lot out there.

Roman 3:27 Where is the boasting then? It is Excluded. By what law? of works? NO. But by the law of Faith.
    Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. Or is He the God of the jews only? Is He not also the God of the gentiles also? YES of the gentiles also.

Romans 4:5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness.

Romans 4:14 For it is those who are of the law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise of no effect.

Romans 4:16 Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace, so that the promise might be sure to all the seed, NOT ONLY to those who are under the LAW, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all.

It was the Council of Nicea that declared the Trinity orthodox, not Constantine. In fact, for years after the council's decision Constantine remained an adherent of Arianism. Furthermore, the Trinity has nothing to do with paganism.

As early as the 2nd century, the doctrine of the Trinity was introduced. Justin Martyr is said to be the first to mention the doctrine. The "word" Trinity is not in the Bible and was not in history until the end of the third century.
    Montanus, a devout Puritan, insisted that the dispensation of the Spirit was at hand, separate from the Father and the Son.
    Tertullian of Carthage (an influential lawyer, orator andwriter)with Montanus' ideas, brought the word "Trinity" into theological use and separated the godhead, as the people of that day were mostly pagans, worshiping many gods.
    The pagans also baptized three times for purity, so Tertullian changed the baptismal formula to Father, Son, HolyGhost, and dipping three times, once for each.
    Finally, when Constantine became emperor of the Roman Empire, half was baptizing in Jesus name and believed in one God, and the other half believed in the Trinity. At the council of Nicea, 325 A.D. christianity was declared the religion of the state, after which the Trinity doctrine was declared by law as the true doctrine, an anyone who did not baptize this way was declared an heretic.

In fact, according to the Enclyclopedia Brittanica, Matthew 28:19 was believed to have first been written, "baptize in the name of Jesus" as in the book of Acts 2:38, and not "in the name of the father, son and holy ghost" as we have it written today. The fact is the name is singular, not plural.

As you see the trinity had a lot to do with paganism and the pagans when it was made law by Constantine and tertullian and the council of Nicea.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 02:24
    i am an atheist and i celebrate christmas; it's not about jesus to me it's about the holiday
  13. Standard memberRosePetal
    Aromatic
    God's Flower Pot
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 03:505 edits
    The Xmas tree has its origin in pagan idol worship. Evergreens were important fertility emblems marking the winter solstice. (BTW, the custom of kissing under the mistletoe comes from the ancient idea that mistletoe is the oak's genitals, and so it was believed that an embrace underneath was a sure guarantee of a fruitful union.) For centuries before Christianity, holly was used for celebrating Saturnalia (another name for the pagan god, Nimrod). Nimrod's birthday was December 25th, and the evergreen tree symbolized the springing forth of new life for Nimrod. They believed that Nimrod would visit the tree and leave gifts underneath it during Saturnalia.

Here's what God said about the pagan tradition of Saturnalia:

"Thus says the LORD: “Do not learn the way of the Gentiles; do not be dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the Gentiles are dismayed at them. For the customs of the peoples are futile; for one cuts a tree from the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the ax. They decorate it with silver and gold; they fasten it with nails and hammers so that it will not topple" (Jeremiah 10:2-4).

(1.) Consider what the idol is that is worshipped. It was a tree cut out of the forest originally. It was fitted up by the hands of the workman, squared, and sawed, and worked into shape; see Isa. 44:12, etc. But, after all, it was but the stock of a tree, fitter to make a gate-post of than any thing else. But, to hide the wood, they deck it with silver and gold, they gild or lacquer it, or they deck it with gold and silver lace, or cloth of tissue. They fasten it to its place, which they themselves have assigned it, with nails and hammers, that it fall not, nor be thrown down, nor stolen away, v. 4. The image is made straight enough, and it cannot be denied but that the workman did his part, for it is upright as the palm-tree (v. 5); it looks stately, and stands up as if it were going to speak to you, but it cannot speak; it is a poor dumb creature; nor can it take one step towards your relief - Matthew Henry Commentary

If you are going to quote the scripture, further explaining it is important. This scripture does not refer to christmas trees, it refers to trees decorated and carved and worshiped as gods. It links to Isaiah 44:13-17 where it specifies that the residue of a tree is "made into a god". Yes, there may be some who might worship a christmas tree, but having a tree isn't a sin. Also, God does not hate the traditions of men, he doesn't care for sin, when traditions equal sin, then yes, He hates them.
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 05:54
    Originally posted by RosePetal
    [i]The Xmas tree has its origin in pagan idol worship. Evergreens were important fertility emblems marking the winter solstice. (BTW, the custom of kissing under the mistletoe comes from the ancient idea that mistletoe is the oak's genitals, and so it was believed that an embrace underneath was a sure guarantee of ...[text shortened]... ns of men, he doesn't care for sin, when traditions equal sin, then yes, He hates them.
    Good point! Thanks.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Sep '08 07:16
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i am an atheist and i celebrate christmas; it's not about jesus to me it's about the holiday
    I know some Christians who celebrate Christmas as a non-Christian celebration.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree