1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 06:57
    halloween was and will forever be my favorite holiday. every kid should experience dressing up and going around peoples doors at halloween, candy, money, fruit, nuts... nothing it was all good. as you get older - halloween parties - the only day of the year were a girl can dress like a slut and get away with it - awesome.

this is one holiday that religious folk should just butt out of, celebrate it if you want but don't spoil it for everyone else.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 12:09
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Inspired by TerrierJack and taken from a CBN.com article:

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/OnlineDiscipleship/Halloween/halloween_Watt05.aspx

The conclusion:

"As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate ...[text shortened]... g a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?[/b]
    My youngest daughter has a friend who is from a very fundamentalist religious family. No Harry Potter, No Twilight. No movies and certainly no Halloween. She spent the night at our house a few years ago for Halloween and we dressed her up as a princess and somehow the world survived. A few months ago I see her dad's picture plastered on the front page of the paper. Had sex with an underage girl. Had it in the church. Told her he was God. Now that's scarry.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 15:17
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    My youngest daughter has a friend who is from a very fundamentalist religious family. No Harry Potter, No Twilight. No movies and certainly no Halloween. She spent the night at our house a few years ago for Halloween and we dressed her up as a princess and somehow the world survived. A few months ago I see her dad's picture plastered on the front page ...[text shortened]... ad sex with an underage girl. Had it in the church. Told her he was God. Now that's scarry.
    Her parents sound like JWs.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 15:221 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Her parents sound like JWs.
    Well here's the first bonehead comment of the day. Good job Raj!!! Up to form this morning huh?
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 15:241 edit

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/OnlineDiscipleship/Halloween/halloween_Watt05.aspx

The conclusion:

"As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate ...[text shortened]... g a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?[/b]
    A question for all that do celebrate it is no matter how fun it is and fun for the little ones, if you knew it was wrong it God's eyes, would you still have participation in it? Would you be willing to give it up?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 15:31
    Originally posted by galveston75
    A question for all that do celebrate it is no matter how fun it is and fun for the little ones, if you knew it was wrong it God's eyes, would you still have participation in it? Would you be willing to give it up?
    you mean like sacrifice our own personal preferences , and adhere to what the percieved will of God states, rather than try to establish our own, now that is a thought.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 15:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you mean like sacrifice our own personal preferences , and adhere to what the percieved will of God states, rather than try to establish our own, now that is a thought.
    Right on Robbie!!!!
  8. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 16:20
    Right on Robbie!!!!
    Here's the problem "inconsistent hat", I have NEVER in my whole life had god appear before me and express her wishes on this particular subject. So assuming I wanted to sacrifice my own personal preferences then what should I sacrifice them to - your personal preferences? On the other hand, I get a great deal of confirmation that Halloween is OK every time I open the door and a precious child is standing there with a big beaming smile. That message I can read quite well without your help. Why can't you?
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:262 edits
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Here's the problem "inconsistent hat", I have NEVER in my whole life had god appear before me and express her wishes on this particular subject. So assuming I wanted to sacrifice my own personal preferences then what should I sacrifice them to - your personal preferences? On the other hand, I get a great deal of confirmation that Halloween is OK every t ...[text shortened]... th a big beaming smile. That message I can read quite well without your help. Why can't you?
    If God has a bone to pick with any holiday it would have to be Christmas. A holiday that has been commercialized and made materialistic and secular by the media and capitalism. Children don't know they are being demonic portals when they go trick-or-treating but everyone who drops hundreds of dollars at the mall knows that in some way they are defecating on arguably the most holy day in Christianity (besides Easter - which is another story altogether).

I mean, which is worse: blissful ignorance or willful materialism?
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:32
    If God has a bone to pick with any holiday it would have to be Christmas. A holiday that has been commercialized and made materialistic and secular by the media and capitalism. Children don't know they are being demonic portals when they go trick-or-treating but everyone who drops hundreds of dollars at the mall knows that in some way they are defecating o ...[text shortened]... other story altogether).

I mean, which is worse: blissful ignorance or willful materialism?
    Why would dropping hundreds of dollars at the mall be defecating on the most holy day in Christianity?
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:37
    If we truly are on this Earth for no other reason than to worship God and follow his law to the letter to avoid damnation then God is nothing more than a megalomaniacal, micromanaging tyrant. A tyrant whose image I am certainly not made out of.

Kids like to dress up.
    Kids like to get free candy.
    Trick-or-treating kids are not portals for demons or tools of witchcraft.
    Let the kids enjoy themselves.

If Christians really want to stick to this bizarre premise of metaphysical evil portals, then get rid of your TV, get rid of your computer, take your kids out of school and go live in a cave.
  12. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Why would dropping hundreds of dollars at the mall be defecating on the most holy day in Christianity?
    Because the only proper way to celebrate any holy day (regardless of your religion) is cover yourself in cow dung and vinegar and self-flagellate until you pass out from lack of blood?

(We are so decadent in the West. We idealize persecution and deprivation. Whatever happened to being thankful for what you have?)
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:40
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's hyperbole. My point is that letting blissfully ignorant children trick-or-treat can't be any worse, morally, than turning Christmas into a materialistic celebration of capitalism.
  14. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:43
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Wait a second -- isn't adhering to a perceived will essentially the same as establishing your own?
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 17:43

The conclusion:

Where do you fit in?[/b]
    I don't see why people take it so seriously.

its not like they're making human sacrifice, or desecrating churches.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree