Should Christians Celebrate Halloween

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
29 Oct 09

Inspired by TerrierJack and taken from a CBN.com article:

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/OnlineDiscipleship/Halloween/halloween_Watt05.aspx

The conclusion:

"As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate Halloween as it has originated and grown over the centuries.

My suggestion? Christians should be teaching their children (age appropriately) that:

* there is a spiritual world filled with goodness from God and evil from Satan (Eph. 2:1-10);
* life with Christ has power over darkness (I John 4:4); and
* those who celebrate Halloween either are unaware of its roots, or are intentionally promoting a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?

rc

Moves
29 Oct 09
2 edits

Originally posted by darvlay

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/OnlineDiscipleship/Halloween/halloween_Watt05.aspx

The conclusion:

"As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate ...[text shortened]... g a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?[/b]
pre Christian ancient Celtic celebration to appease the dead now commercially packaged and marketed as harmless fun for kids- mmmmmm its a little insidious to say the least, dont you think? what did terrier Jack go out as , himself?

F

Moves
29 Oct 09

My suggestion? Christians should be teaching their children (age appropriately) that:

* those who celebrate Halloween either are unaware of its roots, or are intentionally promoting a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?
Why not? Christians celebrate all kind of weird stuff, so why not?
Let them who want do, who are you to judge?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Oct 09

The conclusion:

"As Christians you and I are placed in this world to be a light in a world of darkness. There is no lasting benefit to ignore a holiday that exists around us, but it also does harm to celebrate ...[text shortened]... g a world where evil is lauded and viewed as an ultimate power."

Where do you fit in?[/b]
Halloween in my neighbourhood is a chance for the kids to dress up and go asking for sweets. We give them out but my kids aren't allowed to go asking the neighbours, I make sure they get to have plenty at home that evening anyway, as they answer the door. It's not so much about the meaning of the holiday that we don't it's more my husband who decided (he's athiest/agnostic) becasue he feels it's akin to begging. Should Christians celebrate Christmas regarding it's origins? Some only celebrate Easter, that's all Jesus told us to make a mark of. (we do Christmas)

Moves
29 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by yo its me
Halloween in my neighbourhood is a chance for the kids to dress up and go asking for sweets. We give them out but my kids aren't allowed to go asking the neighbours, I make sure they get to have plenty at home that evening anyway, as they answer the door. It's not so much about the meaning of the holiday that we don't it's more my husband who decided (he's ome only celebrate Easter, that's all Jesus told us to make a mark of. (we do Christmas)
That is a sad story - I personally favor Halloween because it is just pure giving to people who are not so jaded that they can't appreciate it (and who might still deserve it!) I always get a big kick when I see the very young ones barely knowing what to do just wrapped in the euphoria of candy. But the teenagers also cause me to crack a smile - they still have access to the wonder of childhood. It is not about begging or scarfing candy. It is about the joy that you can bring to others by accepting their gifts, the candy and the smiles. No other holiday means as much to me except Veterans Day. I am already planning to upset my wife (she's too cheap for Halloween also) by buying more candy! I wish we had Halloween every 2 months.

Rob! I have to go as myself! I tried dressing as you and some bearded dude kept hopping on my back wanting a ride to Jerusalem! There is some hay I will not eat!

BTW - the christians have just about ruined Halloween in the schools - it is a shame.

d

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Why not? Christians celebrate all kind of weird stuff, so why not?
Let them who want do, who are you to judge?
You're insufferable.

rc

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by TerrierJack
That is a sad story - I personally favor Halloween because it is just pure giving to people who are not so jaded that they can't appreciate it (and who might still deserve it!) I always get a big kick when I see the very young ones barely knowing what to do just wrapped in the euphoria of candy. But the teenagers also cause me to crack a smile - they sti ...[text shortened]... eat!

BTW - the christians have just about ruined Halloween in the schools - it is a shame.
Rob! I have to go as myself! I tried dressing as you and some bearded dude kept hopping on my back wanting a ride to Jerusalem! There is some hay I will not eat!

Lol, eeeehaawww

rc

Moves
29 Oct 09

You're insufferable.
yes definitely despicable!

Moves
29 Oct 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes definitely despicable!
Hey, it was just a personal opinion. No use complaining that some prefer vanilla.

d

Moves
29 Oct 09
1 edit

Hey, it was just a personal opinion. No use complaining that some prefer vanilla.

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
29 Oct 09

That is a sad story - I personally favor Halloween because it is just pure giving to people who are not so jaded that they can't appreciate it (and who might still deserve it!) I always get a big kick when I see the very young ones barely knowing what to do just wrapped in the euphoria of candy. But the teenagers also cause me to crack a smile - they sti ...[text shortened]... eat!

veterans day? never heard of that one!
Not so sad, encouraging kids to knock on doors and ask for something isn't very 21st century 😉

rc

Moves
29 Oct 09

hey what do you mean Christians have spoilt it in schools?

Moves
30 Oct 09

Originally posted by yo its me
veterans day? never heard of that one!
Not so sad, encouraging kids to knock on doors and ask for something isn't very 21st century 😉
No not 21st century at all - more like when I was child some blubble-blubble years ago when we left the front door unlocked every day and all night and we knew and helped our neighbors.

The christians have spoiled Halloween in the schools of my country for exactly the hysterical reasons highlighted by the crazy woman's article that headed this thread. No parties, no decorations allowed. They see the devil in everything except where they should look - the mirror.

rc

Moves
30 Oct 09
1 edit

No not 21st century at all - more like when I was child some blubble-blubble years ago when we left the front door unlocked every day and all night and we knew and helped our neighbors.

The christians have spoiled Halloween in the schools of my country for exactly the hysterical reasons highlighted by the crazy woman's article that headed this thread ...[text shortened]... corations allowed. They see the devil in everything except where they should look - the mirror.
well its the opposite in my country, man its supposed to be a non denominational school, they got more festivals and religious holidays than you can imagine, its a minefield for the discerning parent! what about us in the minority Jack, here that is in pagan europe, can you imagine the pressure on parents that do not want to participate? why should i have someone else's religious beliefs imposed upon me?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
30 Oct 09

The christians have spoiled Halloween in the schools of my country for exactly the hysterical reasons highlighted by the crazy woman's article that headed this thread ...[text shortened]... corations allowed. They see the devil in everything except where they should look - the mirror.
Oh yes the idelic past 😉

That's a shame it's like that at the school, if they want the kids to embrace their ideas they'd be better having an anti halloween party then banning any.