1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Mar '15 03:021 edit
    The first Christian martyr was Stephen in Acts 7. When put on trial Stephen gave a good review of God's work throughout the Old Testament. Then his speech came to a climax which so infuriated the religionists that they "gnashed their teeth at him".

This extreme and irrational reaction of pure hatred was a matter of spiritual warfare in the minds of the listeners. Their reaction reminds one of Paul's words that the battle of the believers is not with flesh and blood but spiritual forces.

It is significant how Stephen concluded his long outline of God's work. He referenced Isaiah 66:1,2. Here is Stephen's conclusion.

But Solomon built Him [God] a house. Yet the Most High does not dwell in that which is made by hands, even as the prophet says,

"Heaven is My throne, and the earth is a footstool for My feet. What kind of house will you build for Me, says the Lord, or what is the place of My rest? Has not My hands made all these things?"

You stiff necked and uncircumcised in hearts and ears, you always oppose the Holy Spirit, as your fathers did, you also do.

The physical tabernacle and the physical temple were not the ultimate dwelling place which God sought. But to dwell in man was His rest. To be God living in man was the desire of God's heart.

This dwelling place of God within man is the climax of Stephen's speech. And he reminds them that the man Jesus was the living tabernacle of God. They destroyed the temple of His body and in three days He raised it up. He was the dwelling place God in humanity.

Though breaking of the Sabbath and casting out demons were all serious problems to the opposer of Jesus, what Stephen concludes as the final offence was that God does not dwell in a splendid tabernacle or temple in the final analysis, but in a man. For Isaiah's word was -

"Where then is the house that you will build for Me. And where is the place of My rest? ... But to this kind of man will I look, to him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, and who trembles at My word." (Isaiah 66:2,3b)

The words "But to this kind of man will I look" means that for a dwelling place, a house, a resting place, God looks to live in man. That is not any man. That is a man suitable to be one with God and His word.

God, in considering where on earth to live, looks not ultimately at a tabernacle of splendid cloth and gold and linen nor a temple of of gold and cedar wood. God looks to dwell in man.

And it is at this point Stephen concludes and suddenly bursts out with rebukes to those who opposed the incarnation of God in man in Jesus.

"Has not My hands made all these things?" ... you always oppose the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, you also do.

Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand concerning the coming of the righteous One, whose betrayers and murderers you have now become. You who received the law as ordinances of angels and did not keep it.

Now as they heard these things, they were exasperated and gnashed their teeth at him. But being full of the Holy Spirit, he looked intently into heaven and saw the glory of God, And he said, Behold, I see the heavens opened up and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.

But they cried out with a loud voice an covered their ears and rushed upon him with one accord. And they threw him outside of the city and stoned him ..."

This exasperation, this hysterical reaction was something of demonic activity. This was spiritual forces driving the listeners mad. And what was it that they could not stand?

They could not stand to know that the Son of Man was the living dwelling place of God. They could not take the uniting of God and man in Jesus Christ. He was "the Righteous One". He was the man to whom God would like to as His dwelling place. God's living house on earth was in Jesus.

As John had said - "And the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only Begotten from the Father) full of grace and reality." (John 1:14)

Today God's living house is with the church as "the dwelling place of God in spirit" (Eph. 2:22) We can expect the enemy to stir up opposition against this truth.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '15 16:27
    Originally posted by sonship
    The first Christian martyr was Stephen in [b]Acts 7. When put on trial Stephen gave a good review of God's work throughout the Old Testament. Then his speech came to a climax which so infuriated the religionists that they "gnashed their teeth at him".

This extreme and irrational reaction of pure hatred was a matter of spiritual warfare in the ...[text shortened]... d in spirit" (Eph. 2:22) [/b] We can expect the enemy to stir up opposition against this truth.[/b]
    Testing, 1,2,3. Still open ?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '15 16:301 edit
    Satan's job is simple -

Satan seeks to convince men that he, Satan, is god and that God is him, Satan.

He seeks to REVERSE the reality.
    All his accusations to man about God are to bring about this reversal.

Atheism is only a temporary stop along the way of reversing these poles.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 May '15 17:14
    From the beginning Satan has only sought to portray himself as the liberator and God as the tyrant.

"Did God really say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden? ... You shall not surely die! For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will become like God, knowing good and evil."

There was some truth to this. The most pernicious LIE is the one that contains just enough element of truth to catch you.

After man eats - God does say - "Behold the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil;. ..." (Gen. 3:22)

That part was true. Taking in the tree of the knowledge of good and evil did something to make man like "one of Us" - God. What was definitely not true was "You shall not surely die!".

Die he did. Satan is called the one who has the might of death.
    He has set himself up to be the opposite, the antithesis of God.

God is a God of truth.
    Satan is the one of lying and lies.

God is a God of life, even eternal life.
    Satan is a god of death and has "the might of death".

To persuade man that the rolls of God and his antithesis must be reversed is his career which culminates in the figure the Antichrist.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree