1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 22:24
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Sit down for the results, please.

In Christianity, the issue is faith; not works, sin, growth, lack of growth, maturity, lack of maturity, or any other negative or positive proposition. Faith alone in Christ alone. Using an analogy of sitting in a chair with faith in Jesus Christ, while one is free to get up from the chair after having sat on it, one ...[text shortened]... one of the majority, what do you suppose is the impetus behind your attraction to this forum?
    The idea of salvation is retarded enough without bringing in OSAS. As frogstomp would say, you are a Paulian, not a Christian.
  2. London
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 23:28
    In Christianity, the issue is faith; not works, sin, growth, lack of growth, maturity, lack of maturity, or any other negative or positive proposition.
    Speak for yourself, mate. The vast majority of Christians disagree.
  3. London
    Moves
    09 Mar '06 23:28
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    The idea of salvation is retarded enough without bringing in OSAS.
    Why is the idea of salvation "retarded"?
  4. Joined
    06 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 04:013 edits
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I'd be one of them.
    I think scripture is clear that being a Christian is an on-going process.

Ref: Heb 6:4 and 1Cor 9:27

DF
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 04:36
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    When I said "Christianity" I was referring to the orthodox, biblical view, not consensus.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 07:06
    When I said "Christianity" I was referring to the orthodox, biblical view, not consensus.
    "orthodox, biblical view" is too vague a term to mean very much. I am sure that many different people with widely differing opions claim to have an "orthodox, biblical view".
    And by the way today is the first time I have heard anyone say that having faith just once is enough to guarantee a place in heaven.

Why am I in this forum? Well it started because I wasnt happy about the the teaching of ID being promoted in the US as it is not science and generaly degrades the quality of science teaching, which in the long term will result in a poorer world economy which directly affects me and my children. I posted something about it in the debates forum hoping to help educate anyone who though ID was science. I was immediately refered to this forum and have found it quite interesting as it makes me do a bit of research before posting my views.

I come from a country which declared itself a "Christian nation" while those who made the declaration turned out to be some of the most corrupt politicians in the history of the nation. The sad thing is that the churches lined themselves up to recieve bribes and then if they got one would fight over it like a pack of hungry wolves.
  7. London
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 10:09
    It's definitely not the orthodox (i.e. traditional) view - sola fide (and OSAS) didn't even come up till the Reformation.

Nor is it, really, the Biblical view. You would have to drop the epistle of James (as Luther wanted to), along with passages such as Mt 25 to do so.
  8. Joined
    11 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 12:14
    I suppose this part is not in the "orthodox" bible then?

Mat 22:1 Once again Jesus used stories to teach the people:
    Mat 22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like what happened when a king gave a wedding banquet for his son.
    Mat 22:3 The king sent some servants to tell the invited guests to come to the banquet, but the guests refused.
    Mat 22:4 He sent other servants to say to the guests, "The banquet is ready! My cattle and prize calves have all been prepared. Everything is ready. Come to the banquet!"
    Mat 22:5 But the guests did not pay any attention. Some of them left for their farms, and some went to their places of business.
    Mat 22:6 Others grabbed the servants, then beat them up and killed them.
    Mat 22:7 This made the king so furious that he sent an army to kill those murderers and burn down their city.
    Mat 22:8 Then he said to the servants, "It is time for the wedding banquet, and the invited guests don't deserve to come.
    Mat 22:9 Go out to the street corners and tell everyone you meet to come to the banquet."
    Mat 22:10 They went out on the streets and brought in everyone they could find, good and bad alike. And the banquet room was filled with guests.
    Mat 22:11 When the king went in to meet the guests, he found that one of them wasn't wearing the right kind of clothes for the wedding.
    Mat 22:12 The king asked, "Friend, why didn't you wear proper clothes for the wedding?" But the guest had no excuse.
    Mat 22:13 So the king gave orders for that person to be tied hand and foot and to be thrown outside into the dark. That's where people will cry and grit their teeth in pain.

Seems like a little more than just "accepting the invitation" is involved here. Of course this is only the view of the author of Mathew, there may be some other views by different NT authors?
  9. London
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 12:45
    Originally posted by JadeMantis

Mat 22:2 The kingdom of heaven is like what happened when a king gave a wedding banquet for his son.
    Mat 22:3 The king sent some servants to tell the invited guests to come to the banquet, but the guests refused.
    Mat 22:4 He se ...[text shortened]... ew of the author of Mathew, there may be some other views by different NT authors?
    Quite a few such passages in Matthew. Also in James 2.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Mar '06 14:24
    Originally posted by JadeMantis

Mat 22:4 He se ...[text shortened]... ew of the author of Mathew, there may be some other views by different NT authors?
    As with all the Gospels, the parables must be treated with exegetical care. You must know to whom the individual parables were being directed, era, etc., before any of them will make sense. Correct application begins with contextual understanding. Anything less will result in all manner of maladjustments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree