1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 20:12
    I've noticed some discussions lately about the soul and what it is. According to the Bible, not mythes or religious beliefs, it is the fleshly body that humans and all living creatures have. It is something we start to grow at conception and that begins to perish at death.
    Gen 1: 20 mentions the ocean and flying creatures as souls.
    Gen 1: 24 speaks of all land creatures having souls.
    Gen 2: 7 speaks of Adam becoming a living soul.
    Notice it also says that God blew the breath of life into him. He was not a living soul until this was done.
    Do souls live past death? No. For instance Lev 24: 17,18 says that if any soul is struck dead, even of an animals, a soul for a soul was inforced.
    Rev 16:3 confirms that souls die.
    Ezek 18:4, 20 says souls that sin, die.
    Acts 3:23 confirms this.
    Not one scripture in the Bible says the soul lives on after death.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 20:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I've noticed some discussions lately about the soul and what it is. According to the Bible, not mythes or religious beliefs, it is the fleshly body that humans and all living creatures have. It is something we start to grow at conception and that begins to perish at death.
    Gen 1: 24 speaks o ...[text shortened]...
    When all christians agree on the same theory, it's going to be interesting.
    Until then, I take it as guessings, and imaginative interpretations.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 21:29
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When all christians agree on the same theory, it's going to be interesting.
    Until then, I take it as guessings, and imaginative interpretations.
    The scriptures say what the scriptures say. There are many more that confirms these scriptures. Again, no where in the Bible does it ever say the the soul lives on past death.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 21:45
    Gen 1: 24 speaks o ...[text shortened]...
    Producing verses that say souls die does not prove that the soul dies at the same time with the physical body. It could be that the body dies first and then the soul dies later on. Christ (who I consider the authority on the matter) seems to suggest this by saying that the soul and the body are two separate and distinct components of a person's being. Man can kill the body but only God can kill the soul.

Matt 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

NOTE : I dont have schoolteacher way of writing. I simply make a statement/point and produce proof of what I believe. I would appreciate it if you can do likewise. I say this becuase you often write as if you are teaching and reply with another question as if to say that your question counteracts my point which it often does not.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 21:54
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Producing verses that say souls die does not prove that the soul dies at the same time with the physical body. It could be that the body dies first and then the soul dies later on. Christ (who I consider the authority on the matter) seems to suggest this by saying that the soul and the body are two separate and distinct components of a person's being. Man ca ...[text shortened]... another question as if to say that your question counteracts my point which it often does not.
    I'll try Rajj but as you know we as Witnessees are taught form our congregations to be teachers and that is a trait I've had most of my life. One thing that Jesus used in most of his teachings were to ask questions. This is to try and get the student to think and reason about a subject instead of the teacher being just a preacher.
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 22:02
    I'll try Rajj but as you know we as Witnessees are taught form our congregations to be teachers and that is a trait I've had most of my life. One thing that Jesus used in most of his teachings were to ask questions. This is to try and get the student to think and reason about a subject instead of the teacher being just a preacher.
    I am a Christian, and I am not taught by my congregation to be a teacher. Just wanted to point out yet another difference that shows that all Christians can't be lumped into the same big basket. (Although I'm sure someone will try to do so)🙂
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 22:05
    Thats why I made that point. Your aim should be to get as many peeple as possible to understand what you are saying. And the way to do that is to forget you are a JW and dont think of the RHP community as students... you should discussing not teaching. Try it. Just counteract what Christ said in Matt 10:28 in some simple short points and you will find people will discuss the matter with you instead of ignoring you... 🙂
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 22:16
    Thats why I made that point. Your aim should be to get as many peeple as possible to understand what you are saying. And the way to do that is to forget you are a JW and dont think of the RHP community as students... you should discussing not teaching. Try it. Just counteract what Christ said in Matt 10:28 in some simple short points and you will find people will discuss the matter with you instead of ignoring you... 🙂
    Well I can't forget I'm a JW but will take your advice as I do want to discuss this subject. Thanks.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 22:48
    Producing verses that say souls die does not prove that the soul dies at the same time with the physical body. It could be that the body dies first and then the soul dies later on. Christ (who I consider the authority on the matter) seems to suggest this by saying that the soul and the body are two separate and distinct components of a person's being. Man ca ...[text shortened]... another question as if to say that your question counteracts my point which it often does not.
    Coming back to your point on this scripture. Is there a possibility that this could be explaining that another human can kill our body or soul we have now but cannot kill or body or soul permently and that we still can be resurrected to life again?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 23:35
    Coming back to your point on this scripture. Is there a possibility that this could be explaining that another human can kill our body or soul we have now but cannot kill or body or soul permently and that we still can be resurrected to life again?
    Well, there are many passages all over the Bible that use body and soul interchangeably. But in the Matt 10:28 passage Christ is making a very clear distinction and saying that people can kill the body but only God can kill the soul. So the answer to your question is No. Do you have any reason to consider such a possibility.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jan '10 23:54
    .. Do souls live past death?
    Interesting question. What about the story of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16)? In this story it appears that both the rich man Lazarus after death were able to see and speak and feel and touch etc. I have heard a lot of explanations about this story but the answer to the one important question I have never heard ... Why would Christ use a false doctrine to make a point?
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 00:17
    Well, there are many passages all over the Bible that use body and soul interchangeably. But in the Matt 10:28 passage Christ is making a very clear distinction and saying that people can kill the body but only God can kill the soul. So the answer to your question is No. Do you have any reason to consider such a possibility.
    So are you saying that ones cannot be resurrected again? I don't understand your statement.
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 00:24
    Interesting question. What about the story of the Rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16)? In this story it appears that both the rich man Lazarus after death were able to see and speak and feel and touch etc. I have heard a lot of explanations about this story but the answer to the one important question I have never heard ... Why would Christ use a false doctrine to make a point?
    I'm trying to get my scanner to work. I'll get it on here as soon s I can. Thanks..
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 00:41
    So are you saying that ones cannot be resurrected again? I don't understand your statement.
    Where did I say "...ones cannot be resurrected again"...?

Christ said only God can kill the soul in hell? What is difficult about that?
    The Matt 10 passage mentions nothing about resurrection .. neither did I.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jan '10 01:442 edits
    Where did I say "...ones cannot be resurrected again"...?

Christ said only God can kill the soul in hell? What is difficult about that?
    The Matt 10 passage mentions nothing about resurrection .. neither did I.
    OK..calm down. I'm not understanding your question that's all. I'll look back and see what your saying. I just had surgery a few days ago and I'm on pain meds. I'll answer tomorrow when my head is clear. Thanks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree