1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 05:20
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and every manner of thing shall be well.

Dame Julian of Norwich
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 10:37

"As soon as worldly people see that you wish to follow a devout life they aim a thousand darts of mockery and even detraction at you. The most malicious of them will slander your conversion as hypocrisy, bigotry, and trickery. They will say that the world has turned against you and being rebuffed by it you have turned to God. Your friends will raise a host of objections which they consider very prudent and charitable. They will tell you that you will become depressed, lose your reputation in the world, be unbearable, and grow old before your time, and that your affairs at home will suffer. You must live in the world like one in the world. They will say that you can save your soul without going to such extremes, and a thousand similar trivialities.

ST. FRANCIS DE SALES
  3. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 10:50

"We consider Christmas as the encounter, the great encounter, the historical encounter, the decisive encounter, between God and mankind. He who has faith knows this truly; let him rejoice."

Pope Paul VI
  4. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 11:17
    If the Lord is thine shepherd then why does he allow the wolves in amongst the sheep?

- Henry Maustrauser in "The Life of Meaning"
  5. Standard membermosquitorespect
    Not Royalty
    Not in a palace
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 21:03
    I put this one up on my wall:

We live in a dark valley, on a spectrum between the unconscious grace of the puppet and the fully conscious grace of the god. But the only way out of this impasse, they agree, is not back towards childhood: as with the Garden of Eden, an angel with a fiery sword guards the way; there is no going back. We have to go forward, through the travails and difficulties of life and embarrassment and doubt, and hope that as we grow older and wiser we may approach paradise again from the back, as it were, and enter that grace which lies at the other end of the spectrum.

Philip Pullman, on Heinrich von Kleist's essay, 'On the Marionette Theatre'
  6. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 21:29
    And humanity's biggest failing was creating god. - rwingett
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 21:57
    Originally posted by Starrman
    And humanity's biggest failing was creating god. - rwingett
    I may have thought it, but I don't recall saying it.
  8. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 22:01
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I may have thought it, but I don't recall saying it.
    I just happened to find it in an ancient thread I came across whilst looking for something else, made me chuckle 🙂
  9. R.I.P.
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 22:08
    An it harm none do what you will

Wiccan
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 02:06

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 02:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Arizona, USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 02:23
    "The ways of God may not be the same as the ways of man, but they should not be inferior to the ways of man."

attrib.--can't recall. Bertrand Russell?
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 17:01
    Just as a circle embraces all that is within it, so does the God-head embrace all. No one has the power to divide this circle, to surpass it, or to limit it.

Hildegard of Bingen
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 17:26
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Amen and amen!

"Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

Matthew 6:9-13
    Ach! That's two more out in circulation. I'm keeping tabs and I'll give you market value later.
  15. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 17:33
    God is Breath, for the breath of the wind is shared by all, goes everywhere; nothing shuts it in, nothing holds it prisoner.

St. Maximos the Confessor

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree