1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:05
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Since I started this thread I might be the first suspect. So let me say that I almost never get involved in this thumbs down and thumbs up foolishness. If I have to compliment or condemn a post I say it in a reply.
    You would prefer 3~5 people all post variations of "I agree with this post" or
    "I think that post was stupid" after half the posts in the forum?

Thumbs up and down allows people to register an "I agree with/like/support this"
    without cluttering up the thread with posts saying so.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What goes on in the Sudan under shiara law has been well documented for decades and yet here you are calling someone an "Islamaphobe" for pointing it out; and calling someone else a bigot elsewhere for doing the same. I find it disturbing that your world view allows you to do this.
    you are missing the point. as with grampybobby in the other thread thinkofone is being critical about the quality and trustworthiness of the articles being linked. at no point in either posts does t.o.o deny or support what truth there may be behind the topics mentioned. his (as far as i can tell) issue is that the people providing the links do not seem to care how accurate the stories are. in the case of this link, appear to be looking at web-pages that are specifically anti-islamic, not caring about an articles accuracy and looking at anti-islamic websites would indicate a the poster also has an anti-islamic attitude.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:08
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Who on earth gave this carefully crafted and insightful post a thumbs down? And why?

Was it because their should have been there?

Penguin
    Thankyou.

And for the record, I type all 'there''s as their due to muscle memory and then
    go back and correct them... And I simply don't catch them all.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:13
    What goes on in the Sudan under shiara law has been well documented for decades and yet here you are calling someone an "Islamaphobe" for pointing it out; and calling someone else a bigot elsewhere for doing the same. I find it disturbing that your world view allows you to do this.
    Remember the bottom line of the atheist. No matter what is said or written he must barricade the door of his heart to the existence of God.

Everything else is just minutia.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:15
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    You would prefer 3~5 people all post variations of "I agree with this post" or
    "I think that post was stupid" after half the posts in the forum?

Thumbs up and down allows people to register an "I agree with/like/support this"
    without cluttering up the thread with posts saying so.
    People often use it simply to support those they like, or condemn those they dislike ie it has nothing to do with the content of the post.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:17
    People often use it simply to support those they like, or condemn those they dislike ie it has nothing to do with the content of the post.
    I don't know about 'people' but that's not how I use it.

And I don't think many use it the way you are describing if any do.

If they did every post would have many thumbs ups and downs as people just
    blindly supported or opposed each other regardless of post content.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:24
    Originally posted by sonship
    Remember the bottom line of the atheist. No matter what is said or written he must barricade the door of his heart to the existence of God.

Everything else is just minutia.
    Wrong. And implicitly insulting.

And atheists are not all male so please use non gender specific language.

Particularly as in this case it would make a better and more aesthetically
    pleasing sentence... even though it would still be wrong.

By claiming that atheists 'harden their hearts' to 'the existence of god' implies
    that atheists can't genuinely believe what they say, and that they are engaged in
    wilful self deception... for some reason none of you have ever adequately explained.

In general, we do no such thing.

If compelling evidence were presented I would believe that a god or gods existed.

I don't turn blind eye to evidence, I seek it out.

I am an atheist not because I want to be an atheist but because I can't find any
    reason to suppose gods exist.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Is this spirituality?
    Are you saying that Islam has nothing to do with spirituality?

You may be right about that.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:08
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    From what I can tell, the article published on "Atlas Shrugs" basically combined two articles entitled "FOR 2011-2012 170 PEOPLE IN SUDAN ACCUSED OF 'APOSTASY'" and "Sudanese Woman Faces Ordeal as Convert from Islam" without giving proper acknowledgement and retitled it as "Sudan: Brutal torture of hundreds of converts out of Islam under the sharia" despi ...[text shortened]... ure of hundreds of converts" is evidence that such underhanded tactics work as idiotic as it is.
    Which of course means that none of these atrocities occurred, all is peace and love in the Sudan and the author of the OP is a bigoted Islamaphobe. Oh dear.

While you may be correct about the merging of the information, I think your using that as justification of calling someone an Islamaphobe and ignoring the real issues is intellectually dishonest to say the least.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:122 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    you are missing the point. as with grampybobby in the other thread thinkofone is being critical about the quality and trustworthiness of the articles being linked. at no point in either posts does t.o.o deny or support what truth there may be behind the topics mentioned. his (as far as i can tell) issue is that the people providing the links do not seem ...[text shortened]... looking at anti-islamic websites would indicate a the poster also has an anti-islamic attitude.
    Let's assume for a moment that everything GB quoted about Shaira law and article about the Sudan are all complete fabrication. All both posters are guilty of is not checking their information and jumping to conclusions, which is exactly what ToO is doing:

Reads post > believes post contain incorrect information > assumes the worst > accused poster of bigotry or islamaphobia.

I don't know what's thickest, the irony or the hypocrisy.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:33
    Let's assume for a moment that everything GB quoted about Shaira law and article about the Sudan are all complete fabrication. All both posters are guilty of is not checking their information and jumping to conclusions, which is exactly what ToO is doing:

Reads post > believes post contain incorrect information > assumes the worst > accused poster of bigotry or islamaphobia.

I don't know what's thickest, the irony or the hypocrisy.
    its a fair point that t.o.o. (and myself) assumed the worst of gbobby. so i suppose we were jumping to conclusions. rather outright calls of bigotry and islamaphobia, maybe a suggestion that putting links to a anti-islam website may 'appear' to condone bigotry and islamaphobia would be better.

however. it still baffles me that most people would rather call out t.o.o. on him calling bobby a bigot rather than tackle an extremely one side, narrow viewed article taken from a bigoted website. i personally find that way more disturbing. if bobby had really wanted a fair discussion about sharia law, wouldnt he have linked less biased website? doesnt the fact that he didnt seem to care how fair or accurate the link was say a lot about either his intelligence or his agenda?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 16:51
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Does an article entitled "SUDAN: BRUTAL TORTURE OF HUNDREDS OF CONVERTS OUT OF ISLAM UNDER THE SHARIA" that does not even mention no less provide details or evidence of the "brutal torture of hundreds of converts" count as fear-mongering?

Remarkable how hatred seems to render Islamaphobes dead from the neck up.
    A woman getting her ribs broken sounds fairly detailed to me.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 17:26
    its a fair point that t.o.o. (and myself) assumed the worst of gbobby. so i suppose we were jumping to conclusions. rather outright calls of bigotry and islamaphobia, maybe a suggestion that putting links to a anti-islam website may 'appear' to condone bigotry and islamaphobia would be better.

however. it still baffles me that most people would rathe ...[text shortened]... to care how fair or accurate the link was say a lot about either his intelligence or his agenda?
    It would be nice if you could provide links to less biased websites on the atrocities carried out by muslim extremists in Sudan.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 17:36
    So its fine to relate your experience with the violent side of Islam without being accused of bigotry or fear-mongering. I gather that is what you are saying.
    I wouldn't say fear mongering, which I think you mean to want to foment reprisals or revenge. I can tell you if I was in that situation I would start hating them really fast and do whatever I could to fight them. I don't care what apologists say, they are barbaric and belong back 1000 years ago, not in the 21st century.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '14 17:511 edit

however. it still baffles me that most people would rathe ...[text shortened]... to care how fair or accurate the link was say a lot about either his intelligence or his agenda?
    Well I guess we will disagree, although I do see you point about accuracy and balance of course.

I find it interesting that the majority here will defend Islam based on the "no true scotsman" argument when there are "real" atrocities being carried out today to real people in numerous countries in the name of Allah, and yet those same people vehemently generalise, stereotype and attack Christian's for aleged atrocities in the OT which may or may not have happened thousands of years ago.

And before you or your team attack me for being a bigot or an Islamaphobe, I assure you I am neither.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree