Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
[b]marauder: "Thus, you or me or anybody else cannot possibly answer the question I asked in the first post."

So, the question you asked in your first post was a trick, a trap ? Right ?

You forgot to answer this question, marauder.[/b]
No, Ivanhoe; it was a question. The article's answer is that we can't know if anybody is eternally damned because they commit suicide. Your answer was no. Your answer and the answer of the article are different. Other people might have a different answer. The question asked was to encourage discussion; I thought that was the purpose of this forum.

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
No, Ivanhoe; it was a question. The article's answer is that we can't know if anybody is eternally damned because they commit suicide. Your answer was no. Your answer and the answer of the article are different. Other people might have a different answer. The question asked was to encourage discussion; I thought that was the purpose of this forum.
And a good question too!

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
05 Dec 05

If, for sake of argument, the jumpers are not damned, either because they didn't "really" commit suicide, or God takes pity on them or for any other reason; does this mean that a person who is sure to die a horrible death from cancer is excused for not suffering through to the end and ending his life now?
The choice seems similar.

f

Moves
05 Dec 05

I was watching this show concerning the September 11th attacks and it brought up an interesting ethical question. I know that most mainstream Christians believe that those who commit suicide are automatically damned. In the aftermath of the planes crashing into the WTC, some people went out to the ledges of the buildings. As the fires approached them, th ...[text shortened]... e than the 88th floor, they knew it was suicide.

My question: are they eternally damned?
ROFL, God isnt a lawler who uses complicated terms, Common sense tells you that your gonna die anyways. Maybe they couldnt stand the heat of the flames, Its like your in a airplane that the wings fell off, your gonna die no matter what. so jumping out of the plane, isnt commiting suicide

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by flyUnity
ROFL, God isnt a lawler who uses complicated terms, Common sense tells you that your gonna die anyways. Maybe they couldnt stand the heat of the flames, Its like your in a airplane that the wings fell off, your gonna die no matter what. so jumping out of the plane, isnt commiting suicide
What about taking a fatal dose of painkillers, because your life sucks?

f

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by KneverKnight
What about taking a fatal dose of painkillers, because your life sucks?
I would, if I could, and I should, but I cant, so I wont lol

Seriously, do you disagree with what I said?

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

God certainly isn't a lawyer, at least a good one, or he wouldn't have written those idiotic laws in the Old Testament. I do remember some of us posting about Hunter Thompson who committed suicide because he had incurable cancer (at least that was the rumor at the time; I don't know if it was true or not) and Darfius saying that ANYONE who commited suicide was damned. Watching the show made me wonder whether the fundamentalists here regard that as a rule with no exceptions.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
05 Dec 05

I would, if I could, and I should, but I cant, so I wont lol

Seriously, do you disagree with what I said?
No.
It's your choice.
Do you disagree with that?

Cape Town

Moves
05 Dec 05

I was watching this show concerning the September 11th attacks and it brought up an interesting ethical question. I know that most mainstream Christians believe that those who commit suicide are automatically damned. In the aftermath of the planes crashing into the WTC, some people went out to the ledges of the buildings. As the fires approached them, th ...[text shortened]... e than the 88th floor, they knew it was suicide.

Jesus told a parable about sheep and goats which implied that the most important criteria for getting to heaven was the way you lived your life as a whole.
Many "born again" christians however prefer to stick to the "believe in Jesus and you are saved" doctrine. I guess this allows them to sin as much as they like and still feel OK about it. They forget that the way you live your life is often a sign of what you trully believe.
I think the Bible is fairly clear that no man can Judge his fellow man and it is impossible to know whether you or your fellow human beings are going to Heaven or Hell.

c
Islamofascists Suck!

Macon, Georgia, CSA

Moves
05 Dec 05

No, because they weren't technically commiting suicide. What if they had lived after jumping (although not a reality). What they did was escape the extreme heat, and the only way to do that was to jump...whether it is a few inches or 500 ft. It is not analogous to someone chewing on a shotgun and pulling the trigger...

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by chancremechanic
No, because they weren't technically commiting suicide. What if they had lived after jumping (although not a reality). What they did was escape the extreme heat, and the only way to do that was to jump...whether it is a few inches or 500 ft. It is not analogous to someone chewing on a shotgun and pulling the trigger...
That's ridiculous; someone jumping from the 90th floor is committing suicide - jumpers are routinely considered suicides. You probably have more of a chance to survive a gun shot to the head than a fall from the 90th floor.

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
05 Dec 05

What about if someone went up to commit suicide and then when they saw the planes coming thought....i don't want to die.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by windmill
What about if someone went up to commit suicide and then when they saw the planes coming thought....i don't want to die.
Rather than thinking up absurd hypotheticals, why not stay on-topic?

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
05 Dec 05

Rather than thinking up absurd hypotheticals, why not stay on-topic?
Because it isn't suicide...it's murder.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by chancremechanic
Let's make a comparison:

1) A person in burning building starts to become overcome by the heat. He has
the choice to wait in the building and die a slow, painful and lingering death or
jump out the window and die promptly.

2) A person with cancer in a hospital starts to become overcome by his illness. He
has the choice to wait in the hospital and die a slow, painful and lingering death or
he can end it by euthenasia (or jumping out a window).

How are these different?

Nemesio