Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Suicide on 9/11 - Damned?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
05 Dec 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Nemesio
Let's make a comparison:

1) A person in burning building starts to become overcome by the heat. He has
the choice to wait in the building and die a slow, painful and lingering death or
jump out the window and die promptly.

2) A person with cancer in a hospital starts to become overcome by his illness. He
has the choice to wait in the hospital a ...[text shortened]... r
he can end it by euthenasia (or jumping out a window).

How are these different?

Nemesio
They have different numbers?1&2.If your first example is what the topic is about then the difference would be the planes?The first one is murder and the second is suicide!

d

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by windmill
They have different numbers?1&2.If your first example is what the topic is about then the difference would be the planes?The first one is murder and the second is suicide!
They might be similar if the cancer death was truly imminent (seconds or minutes away), if the patient was not surrounded by his/her loved ones but by hundreds of terrified peers, if they patient was not only in pain but had no access to drugs, a bed, etc. to make his/her life easier, and if there was little or nothing that patient could do to improve the lives of others (tell them he/she loves them, help them make plans for the future, etc.).

Might be similar, but probably wouldn't be; there is the still the question to what extent people "chose" to throw themselves out of the window. The human body is not enormously tolerant to heat or smoke; staying in a hot/smoky building would itself require an effort of will that would eventually become unbearable.

Argument by analogy is not helpful; two such cases are never identical in all relevant moral respects. I suppose it can help bring issues into sharper focus, but really that should not be necessary.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
05 Dec 05

Let's make a comparison:

the choice to wait in the building and die a slow, painful and lingering death or

2) A person with cancer in a hospital starts to become overcome by his illness. He

How are these different?

Nemesio
With option 2, correct pain-management can drastically reduce what would be called a "slow, painful and lingering death" to a bearable terminal illness.

In the hospital (option 1), their location isn't going to kill them, however, in 9/11 (option 2), staying in the burning room was certainly fatal; why not take your chances and jump.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by RBHILL
I heard of a girl who stold in front of a train once to save her mother from the HIV.
Say what now?

D

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Say what now?
"The HIV don't stop here anymore..."

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I was watching this show concerning the September 11th attacks and it brought up an interesting ethical question. I know that most mainstream Christians believe that those who commit suicide are automatically damned. In the aftermath of the planes crashing into the WTC, some people went out to the ledges of the buildings. As the fires approached them, th ...[text shortened]... e than the 88th floor, they knew it was suicide.

My question: are they eternally damned?
I doubt they are for just the reason of having to make that choice.
Kelly

M

Moves
05 Dec 05

Let's make a comparison:

How are these different?

Nemesio
The difference (if any) lies in the degree of near-time certainty about the outcome. It seems to me that flames already hitting you creates more that feeling of 'certain death' than a cancer beyond cure (current state of the art), even to the extent that jumping may be considered (in the state of panic) as a desperate (but positive) act of escaping this certain death.

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
05 Dec 05

Wait, why is suicide considered an unforgivable sin? I know the Catholics have their catechisms and what not but I'm not Catholic and it is my understanding that we are already forgiven for ALL our sins...what makes suicide so special?

Call me naive but I always thought that to God sin is sin and he does not place value judgments on it at least from a salvation perspective. I just figured that it was no coincidence that societal repercussions for more "serious" sins are usually vastly more dire than for "smaller" sins...I just thought it was "created" that way.

Does anyone know the biblical justification for the assertion that suicide is unforgivable?

TheSkipper

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Wait, why is suicide considered an unforgivable sin? I know the Catholics have their catechisms and what not but I'm not Catholic and it is my understanding that we are already forgiven for ALL our sins...what makes suicide so special?

Call me naive but I always thought that to God sin is sin and he does not place value judgments on it at least from ...[text shortened]... ne know the biblical justification for the assertion that suicide is unforgivable?

TheSkipper
Who is saying suicide is the unforgiveable sin? It is just one that
you cannot ask forgiveness for after you do it.
Kelly

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
05 Dec 05

Originally posted by KellyJay
Who is saying suicide is the unforgiveable sin? It is just one that
you cannot ask forgiveness for after you do it.
Kelly
Yeah, I get that. I'm talking about heaven though...do I get to go if I'm a Christian that committed suicide?

Do you have to ask forgiveness for each sin in order to be forgiven of it? I always thought that was just done as a matter of respect and so that you could talk honestly to God in prayer without guilt getting in the way.

TheSkipper

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05
3 edits

Rather than thinking up absurd hypotheticals, why not stay on-topic?
You hear that .... Dear Doctor and Nemesio .... you hear what the marauder is saying ? 😀

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

No, Ivanhoe; it was a question. The article's answer is that we can't know if anybody is eternally damned because they commit suicide. Your answer was no. Your answer and the answer of the article are different. Other people might have a different answer. The question asked was to encourage discussion; I thought that was the purpose of this forum.
marauder: "The article's answer is that we can't know if anybody is eternally damned because they commit suicide. Your answer was no. Your answer and the answer of the article are different."

Of course the answers are "different". The article doesn't give an answer to your specific question. It is an answer to quite another question.

My answer is perfectly consistent with all of the article's content.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

This is what the article states about suicide:

"Therefore, objectively, suicide is a mortal sin. (Moreover, to help someone commit suicide is also a mortal sin.) Here though we must remember that for a sin to be mortal and cost someone salvation, the objective action must be grave or serious matter (which in this case the taking of one's own life is); the person must have an informed intellect (know that this is wrong); and the person must give full consent of the will (intend to commit this action). In the case of suicide, a person may not have given full consent of the will. Fear, force, ignorance, habit, passion and psychological problems can impede the exercise of the will so that a person may not be fully responsible or even responsible at all for an action. Here again the Catechism states, "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide" (no. 2282). In the circumstances surrounding suicide, oftentimes a person has battled diagnosed clinical depression for many years; in such cases one would wonder whether the person was acting with the full consent of the will. This qualification does not make suicide a right action in any circumstance; however, it does make us realize that the person may not be totally culpable for the action because of various circumstances or personal conditions.

Only God can read the depths of our soul. Only He knows how much we love Him and how responsible we are for our actions. We leave the judgment then to Him alone. The Catechism offers words of great hope: "We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to Him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives" (no. 2283). Therefore, we do offer the Mass for the repose of the soul of a suicide victim, invoking God's tender love and mercy for him, and His healing grace for the grieving loved ones."

http://www.catholicherald.com/saunders/03ws/ws030605.htm

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

Because it isn't suicide...it's murder.
This is the most relevant, the most pointed and most true comment in this whole thread.

Those jumpers were not people who committed suicide by "jumping". They were victims of an act of terrorism.

Windmill, you couldn't have been more on topic with this comment.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
05 Dec 05

Correct !!