Several years ago, PK started a thread posing the following for Sumydid:
"As i am someone who would fit your description for a 'Secular Progressive Liberal', tell me about my 'hatred, credibility and insecurity'."
The following was Sumydid's response:
Well since you've staked claim to being part of the group, then I'll list a few things that your group does consistently. Then, you can either separate yourself from the group and condemn those actions, or, embrace their actions and confirm yourself as one of them.
The Secular Liberal Progressives, in the United States, have shown a consistent pattern of
- hatred for traditional family values
- disgust, if not full-blown hatred for all things and all people, Christian
- complete disagreement with anything a Conservative politician has to say
- complete agreement with anything a Liberal politician has to say
- a strong attraction toward Socialism, Marxism, Communism, and/or Statism
- a strong dislike for Capitalism and Free Enterprise
- disdain and lack of respect for traditional American values and the Constitution
- convenient alliances with Feminists, gay rights advocates, labor unions, college professors and teachers, Hollywood, abortion rights activists, and other special interest groups
- (edit: possibly feigned) support, sympathy, and/or compassion for all Muslims, including fanatics
It's the 2nd and last items that--as you are aware--I was considering when I mentioned credibility and insecurity. Secular Progressives--as an activist group--seek to remove Christianity from the public square, while at the same time seek to incorporate Islam into the public square. This makes absolutely no sense, considering that Islam is infintely more hostile and aggressive than Christianity, toward the interest of Secular Progressives. However, I have concluded that the reason for their support for Islam and disgust/hatred toward Christianity is because they see no harm in supporting something they think is silly and impossible; they align themselves in support of Islam as a matter of "enemy of my enemy is my friend" convenience; while Christianity has at least some semblance of credibility, thus exposing a vulnerability. The best solution is to remove Christianity from the public square so they don't have to hear it or think about it (lest they start to take it serious and we can't have that!)... while Islam in their minds, can preach on the street corner all it wants because it's no different than someone preaching faith in Santa or the tooth fairy, i.e. harmless and silly. Easy to tune out.
Now if none of the patterned behaviors I described match you, then my first thought is, you're not a Secular Progressive; my second thought would be maybe you just don't want to admit having many common traits; and my third thought would be perhaps you are a rare individual who doesn't fit the mold.
There are those individuals in all groups, that don't conform, and I'm willing to concede the possibility, however small, that an individual can proclaim himself to be a Secular Progressive, yet not match the standard criteria.
So if you are that rare find, then I think that's great and I tip my hat to you.
That's my answer, although I could have just tossed several dozen web links at you, all of which come to the same conclusions since the pattern has been well known for a very long time.
The thread is fascinating in its own way