1. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 10:41
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Just get into the spirit of my posts.
    I don't particularly like the spirit of your posts. They are rude and dishonest.

The fact that you don't seem to get into the spirit of any posts here makes me think you are unspiritual.
    Well maybe I am unspiritual. That doesn't warrant the insults and dishonesty on your part.

Call me a liar all you want. The points I make remain,sodo yours
    And the lies you told about me remain lies. And your hypocrisy remains hypocrisy.
  2. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 10:52
    Yes, I agree, but technology is often spruiked by government types as an answer to problems that we don't even have.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong, but this idea (that we should be wary of technology) is not just off the top of my head. It's a long held view of mine, and a few others
    Tech - can it become too much? It is a two edge sword. The atomic energy, a good example. Energy for electricity, ok makes a lot of it. What happens when there is a problem, i.e. look at Japan. On the other hand, can not get rid of the spent fuel rods. A-bombs, bad news for everyone. Is this a tech gone too far?

As for energy: Coal. The clean output coal plants, less than 1% output. And what of propane. doesn't propane have about 0% pollutant?

I was in Thunder Bay, Ont. last year. They closed a hydro power plant because some college came to a conclusion that the water splashing down hurts the fish. Now however, the new electrical plant uses wood. They are cutting down thousands of trees to feed their new wood burning plant. There is some stupid tech for you.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 10:58
    (Ancient) wisdom tells us to be wary of technology. Of course you can use it to enhance your life but apparently there are traps to entrusting our future with it.

Ever heard what's going on with "anti-bacterial" handwash lately?
    "(Ancient) wisdom tells us to be wary of technology."

Quote the source.

The idea of being 'wary of technology' is steeped in superstition.

'What's going on' with anti-bacterial soap is old news.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 18:171 edit
    (Ancient) wisdom tells us to be wary of technology. Of course you can use it to enhance your life but apparently there are traps to entrusting our future with it.

Ever heard what's going on with "anti-bacterial" handwash lately?
    I think recent wisdom from Stephen Hawking warned of the dangers of Artificial Intelligence gone too far.

By the way, I recently saw an AI machine that could solve Rubics Cube in under a second. Amazing.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 18:563 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    By the way, I recently saw an AI machine that could solve Rubics Cube in under a second. Amazing.
    That almost certainly wasn't technically AI. The actual solving (deciding what moves are required) has been a trivial problem for decades and can be solved with a simple computer program in milliseconds. But it is a mathematical problem not an intelligence one, so doesn't really qualify as AI.
    It is of course possible that real AI software was used, but highly unlikely given that mathematical solutions exist.
    The rest of the machine is robotics, ie tools to physically scan the cube to see its current state and then to manipulate it to a new state. Again, not really AI.
    The speed at which it appeared to solve it, was a feat of robotics not AI as the actual planning for what moves are required can be done in miliseconds.

https://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/thistle.htm

The program that did very well at Go, does qualify as an AI.

You might also be amused by this:
    http://cube20.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God%27s_algorithm
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 20:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't particularly like the spirit of your posts. They are rude and dishonest.

[b]The fact that you don't seem to get into the spirit of any posts here makes me think you are unspiritual.

Well maybe I am unspiritual. That doesn't warrant the insults and dishonesty on your part.

Call me a liar all you want. The points I make remain,sodo yours
    And the lies you told about me remain lies. And your hypocrisy remains hypocrisy.[/b]
    You don't like the spirit of my posts because spirituality involves going against your ego. That which you like makes your 'soul' 'weaker' and vice versa. I don't advocate a Christian die and goto heaven "one size fits all" approach.
    Ever heard of a white death?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 20:12
    Orig inally posted by Pudgenik
    Tech - can it become too much? It is a two edge sword. The atomic energy, a good example. Energy for electricity, ok makes a lot of it. What happens when there is a problem, i.e. look at Japan. On the other hand, can not get rid of the spent fuel rods. A-bombs, bad news for everyone. Is this a tech gone too far?

As for energy: Coal. The clean output c ...[text shortened]... down thousands of trees to feed their new wood burning plant. There is some stupid tech for you.
    I thought you were a dumb Christian 😀

Serious though, I take your points and will just reinterate that peoples faith in tech, or the faith in future tech being a saviour for our problems maybe faith misplaced
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 20:15
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"(Ancient) wisdom tells us to be wary of technology."

Quote the source.

The idea of being 'wary of technology' is steeped in superstition.

'What's going on' with anti-bacterial soap is old news.[/b]
    I just saw the anti-bacterial story so ...
    I've already referenced the aboriginies of Australia who are said to be the oldest and most environmentally friendly people.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 20:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    I think recent wisdom from Stephen Hawking warned of the dangers of Artificial Intelligence gone too far.

That's another one. AI.

The laws simply cant keep up with the rate of change
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Mar '17 20:491 edit
    You don't like the spirit of my posts because spirituality involves going against your ego.
    No, I don't like the spirit of your posts because I don't like people that lie to my face about me. You are a liar and a hypocrite and you can't pin that on me.
    I don't like the spirit of your posts when you try to dodge around the fact that you were caught lying.
    I don't like the spirit of your posts when you try to make out I am a putz and unspiritual because you didn't like being criticized or having your errors pointed out.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 00:55
    No, I don't like the spirit of your posts because I don't like people that lie to my face about me. You are a liar and a hypocrite and you can't pin that on me.
    I don't like the spirit of your posts when you try to dodge around the fact that you were caught lying.
    I don't like the spirit of your posts when you try to make out I am a putz and unspiritual because you didn't like being criticized or having your errors pointed out.
    After all our correspondence I call you a 'putz' of all things, tell you that it was because I respected you and you answer only this .
    Well you did make a few other reflections but you have also ignored many points I've made. I'm assuming that when you do that you agree but wont mention it or that you don't think those points I was making was worthy (for whatever reason) a response.

I genuinely like you , so this post of yours has had some emotional impact for me.
    I'm not going to go back and troll through your posts, however from this point I recommend we both start a new slate.
    I promise to pay closer attention to posts from now on.
    Deal?

And for what it's worth I feel bad and apologetic for the way the this has turned out. It was not my intention, and I rarely have negative intentions , especially when posting to scrutinous posters like your good self.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 00:57
    Please continue to criticize and point out errors at will. I don't wish you to change that. Thnx
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 01:05
    I thought you were a dumb Christian 😀

Serious though, I take your points and will just reinterate that peoples faith in tech, or the faith in future tech being a saviour for our problems maybe faith misplaced
    Yes agreed
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 09:32
    After all our correspondence I call you a 'putz' of all things, tell you that it was because I respected you and you answer only this .
    Putz:
    a stupid or worthless person.

So because you respect me, you called me stupid? Please explain how that makes sense to you?

Well you did make a few other reflections but you have also ignored many points I've made.
    I don't always respond to every single point made.

I genuinely like you , so this post of yours has had some emotional impact for me.
    I'm not going to go back and troll through your posts, however from this point I recommend we both start a new slate.

So after lying about me multiple times and insulting me to my face, you want a 'fresh start' without so much as an apology?

I promise to pay closer attention to posts from now on.
    Deal?

No deal. Apology first.

And for what it's worth I feel bad and apologetic for the way the this has turned out. It was not my intention, and I rarely have negative intentions , especially when posting to scrutinous posters like your good self.
    So you didn't intend to lie about me or insult me? Slip of the keyboard?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 21:391 edit
    Putz:
    a stupid or worthless person.

So because you respect me, you called me stupid? Please explain how that makes sense to you?

[b]Well you did make a few other reflections but you have also ignored many points I've made.

I don't always respond to every single point made.

I genuinely like you , so this post of yours has ...[text shortened]... ke your good self.
    So you didn't intend to lie about me or insult me? Slip of the keyboard?[/b]
    I intended to have a dig at you. Suck it up.
    You continue to focus on the negative from where I'm sitting.

So sorry for our misunderstanding.

I don't except you to reciprocate.

(Yes I know it's a qualified apology)

edit: yes 'putz' is about right. We're all putzes and nothing you have told me sets you apart from the rest. I'm a putz too bro

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree