The adversary is within

The adversary is within

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@fmf said
It is human nature. We have our moral compasses to guide us, but sometimes when we weigh the benefit [to us] of an action against its detriment to others, it creates a dilemma that our conscience wrestles with.
Assuming we give our conscience the time of day some view that as a hindrance to be done away with.

F

Moves
16 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Assuming we give our conscience the time of day some view that as a hindrance to be done away with.
It's a tough world out there, KellyJay, and there are bad people in it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Feb 22
1 edit

It is human nature. We have our moral compasses to guide us, but sometimes when we weigh the benefit [to us] of an action against its detriment to others, it creates a dilemma that our conscience wrestles with.

If this moral compass analogy is valid then entails that there are in truth moral DIRECTIONS.

The compass points to true North and true South and so forth.
So if these directions stand for moral abolutes that human beings should live by
how is is that the "moral compass" in humans is aware of them ?

From where does the moral compass derive its awareness of the true moral directions in the universe ?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 22

@sonship said

From where does the moral compass derive its awareness of the true moral directions in the universe ?
It doesn't. Our moral compass is a direct result of the society we grew up in and how we have developed as a person. Your north might very well not be my north.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@fmf said
It's a tough world out there, KellyJay, and there are bad people in it.
I agree there are bad people out there even with broken moral compasses most acknowledge that.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It doesn't. Our moral compass is a direct result of the society we grew up in and how we have developed as a person. Your north might very well not be my north.
If you are suggesting what is right for you may not be right for me, that works for opinions not absolute standards of right and wrong.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
If you are suggesting what is right for you may not be right for me, that works for opinions not absolute standards of right and wrong.
I said nothing of absolutes.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I said nothing of absolutes.
What are you saying what is true for you is different from what is true for me?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
16 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Fred grew up on a remote island where cannibalism was perfectly acceptable.

Dave grew up in London where cannibalism was barbaric and wrong.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Yes, if there is no absolute right and wrong all disputes over what is good and bad are meaningless. If I want to do anything you may like it or not, but to condemn me you don’t have anything but an opinion if there are no absolute standards we both have to live by.

You do a lot of condemning here nonetheless as if others should know better in how they should behave and you argue why your judgments should be acceptable. For many of the disputes I see you in I can accept some of your judgments, because your right, without a standard for truth there is no right, just another opinion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Feb 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said

This reminds me of an example of love given here years ago. Some love their neighbors, so they do kind and good things to them; others love their neighbors because they are tasty. Do you have a preference?

F

Moves
16 Feb 22

@sonship said
So if these directions stand for moral abolutes that human beings should live by how is is that the "moral compass" in humans is aware of them ?
"Moral abolutes"?

"Absolutes" for whom?

Is 'You must not worship false Gods' a "moral absolute" for you?

F

Moves
16 Feb 22

@sonship said
The moral compass is shaped by a synthesis of "nature" and "nature". The "awareness" that the compass exists, what its for, and how its used is a function of our consciousness.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@sonship said
If this moral compass analogy is valid then entails that there are in truth moral DIRECTIONS. The compass points to true North and true South and so forth.
If you want to call your moral direction "true north", that is your prerogative.

F

Moves
17 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
Of course it can be different. This is "true" for you: "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind". Morally speaking, there isn't anything "true" about it.