of the Early Christians acceptable to Constantine,
    emperor of Rome - the new (pagan) Church Fathers
    had to remove from its teachings certain doctrines
    which they knew were objectionab m, with only a veneer of
    Christian names."

….”

...and that is just part of it.
    oh dear if you notice dear Andrew, prophecy has two parts, that which is
    contained in the Hebrew portion of scripture which is not the gospel and that which
    finds its fulfilment in the gospel, therefore according to your erroneous assertion
    , both must have been changed in order to fit the details of the Christ's life, hardly a
    serious premise considering the great extent that the Hebrews went to preserve
    every letter of their ancient text, even numbering the individual letters.

As for the text of the Christian Greek Scriptures its is in better condition than any
    other ancient literature. Kurt and Barbara Aland, scholars of the Greek text of the
    Bible, list almost 5,000 manuscripts that have survived from antiquity down to
    today, some from as early as the second century C.E. The general testimony of this
    mass of evidence is that the text is essentially sound. Additionally, there are many
    ancient translations the earliest dating to about the year 180 C.E. that help to
    prove that the text is accurate.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes i am familiar with it, but if you would like to explain it, please feel free, our dear
    atheist friends need every scrap of spiritual goodness they can get their hands on!
    poor things have been running on self certified statements for too long!
    The prophecy of the seventy sevens or seventy weeks given to
    Daniel by the angel Gabriel pinpoints the time when the Messiah
    would come. (Daniel 9:24-27) I will quote one verse at a time then
    give the meaning of it and how it was fulfilled.

Daniel 9:24 - Seventy weeks (sevens) have been decreed for your people
    (meaning Israel) and your holy city (Jerusalem) to finish
    the transgression, to make and end of sin, to make atonement
    for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up
    vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy.

The time appointed for all of this to take place is seventy weeks of years.
    Scholars have determined that prophetic time is counted in days with a
    prophetic day equal to one literal calendar year in accordance with Genesis
    29:26-28; Lev. 25:8; Num. 14:34; and Ezek. 4:5-6.

Therefore, 70 times 7 years = 490 years. This vision and prophecy must
    be sealed up (completed) in 490 years. I believe Jesus the Christ, the most
    holy anointed one, fulfilled this part of the prophecy by His atoning sacrifice
    that covered the sins of those that believe in Him. The believer's transgression
    of the law is forgiven and our faith is counted for everlasting righteousness.
    (Romans 3:21-28; 4:1-8; 10:4; Galatians 3:11; and Philippians 3:9)

Daniel 9:25 - So you are to know and discern that from the going forth of the
    decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the prince
    there will be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks: it (Jerusalem)
    will be built again with plaza and moat, even in times of distress.

The decree referred to here is the one issued by Artaxeres I, who was King of
    Persia from 464 to 424 B.C. See Ezra chapter 7 for a discription of what
    happened. Under the accession-year system of counting the reigns, that part
    of a year that a king reigned before the beginning of the official calendar year
    was "the beginning of the kingship" for him and did not count as his first year
    since that year counted as the last year of the previous king. Therefore,
    457 B.C. would be the 7th year of Artaxerxes when the decree went forth.
    The first seven weeks of years or 49 years is the time it will take to restore
    Jerusalem (including inner city and defensive systems). We know from
    Nehemiah 5:14 and 6:1 that in the 32nd year of King Artaxerxes the walls were
    complete, but the doors in the gates were not set. This then would be the year
    432 B.C. That I believe is 25 years of the 49 years accounted for but I need
    help in determining when the city was completely rebuilt. If the prophecy is
    correct that would be 408 B.C. The next 62 weeks of years = 434 years.
    Now this brings us down to 27 A.D. This would be the year Jesus the Christ
    (also referred to as the Prince of Princes) was baptized by John the Baptist
    and annointed by the Holy Spirit as the Messiah. This baptism of Jesus by
    John is believed, by scholars, to have happened in early Fall of the year.
    (Matt. 4:16: Mark 1:10; Luke 3:22; John 1:33).

Daniel 9:26 - Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and
    have nothing, and the people of the of the prince who is to come
    will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come
    with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are
    determined.

These things are to occur after the the sixty-two week period ended in 27 A.D.
    I believe it was at the Passover in 31 A.D., which is in the middle of the final
    week of the Seventy weeks of years, that Jesus fulfilled this prophecy by
    being cut off (separated) from God for the penalty of sin for all mankind by
    His crucifixion. He was made to be sin on our behalf (2 Cor. 5:21). At that
    time He had nothing, for even His clothes were taken from Him and divided
    among the soldiers (Matt. 27:35). I believe the final part of this verse refers
    to the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple by the Romans in 70 A.D.
    This incident occurred after the seventy weeks of years, but since it is not a
    requirement to fulfill the original prophecy in verses 24 and 25, there is nothing
    that confines it to the seventy week period (490 years) from 457 B.C. to 34 A.D.
    In the Spring of 67 A.D. General Vespasian was ordered by Roman Emperor Nero
    to put down a Jewish revolt against Rome. After the overthrow and suicide of
    Nero, Vespasian was declared emperor in the Spring of 70 A.D. His son, Titus,
    was left in charge of the military campaign against Jerusalem. I believe he is
    the prince who is to come because he destroyed the city (Jerusalem) and the
    sanctuary (temple). The word "flood" is probably a metaphor referring to the
    pouring in of the Roman army through the breaches made in the walls of the
    city. (Compare Daniel 11:22 were the word is translated "overflowing " army).
    I believe the last part of the final sentence predicts wars will continue and the
    sanctuary (temple) will remain desolate until the appointed time determined for
    the Gentiles is fulfilled (Luke 21:24).

Daniel 9:27 - And he (Jesus) will make a firm covenant with the many for one
    week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain
    offering; and on the wing of abomination will come one who makes desolate,
    even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the
    one who makes desolate.

I believe the first part of this verse relates to the first part of verse 26 and
    the last part of this verse relates to the last part of verse 26. The first part
    of verse 27 refers to the new covenant that Jesus began making from the
    Autumn of 27 A.D. when He began His ministry until 34 A.D. when the
    outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Gentile believers sealed the new
    salvation covenant as an absolute certainty (Acts 10:45; Heb. 8:6-13).
    The word "firm" indicates the covenant is "sure". The new covenant that
    Jesus made with the many (Matthew 26:28) was made firm (sure and enduring
    Hebrews 9:14-15). By His supreme sacrifice Jesus abolished the need for the
    ritual sacrifices that could not take away sin. He offered His body to sanctify
    the believers once and for all. (Hebrews 120:1-10) The term "the many"
    originates in Isaiah 53:11-12, which describes the Messiah's death to atone for
    and justify "the many" transgressors by bearing their sins in order to make
    reconciliation for iniquity, and therefore, to bring in everlasting righteousness to
    "the Many" that accept Him as their intercessor. This appears to be the same
    idea as expressed in Daniel 9:24 of the prophecy.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:39
    contained in the Hebrew portion of scripture which is not the gospel and that which
    finds its fulfilment in the gospel, therefore according to your erroneous assertion
    , both must have been changed in order to fit the details of the Christ's life, hardly a
    serious premise ...[text shortened]... the earliest dating to about the year 180 C.E. that help to
    Erm no. One could have easily Billy Bullchitted what was in the Gospels to fit what was in the older writings such that you folks would gaze in amazement about all the prophecies that were 'fulfilled'. Nothing remarkable there
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:421 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Erm no. One could have easily Billy Bullchitted what was in the Gospels to fit what was in the older writings such that you folks would gaze in amazement about all the prophecies that were 'fulfilled'. Nothing remarkable there
    sooo you who have no experience and no knowledge of ancient manuscripts
    have stated that despite there being five thousand extant manuscripts, you know
    better. excuse me while i feel my bum to make sure i am still alive.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:46
    sooo you who have no experience and no knowledge of ancient manuscripts
    have stated that despite there being five thousand extant manuscripts, you know
    better. excuse me while i feel my bum to make sure i am still alive.
    Yes I'll excuse you to feel your bum to check if there are any more words in it.

Anyhow, the situation is quite simple: old texts asserts X will happen, someone comes along later having read the old texts writes that X happened in a newer collection of texts...and this is remarkable why??? 😕
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 15:492 edits
    Yes I'll excuse you to feel your bum to check if there are any more words in it.

Anyhow, the situation is quite simple: old texts asserts X will happen, someone comes along later having read the old texts writes that X happened in a newer collection of texts...and this is remarkable why??? 😕
    why, because the authors lived at different epochs of history, did not fully understand
    what they were writing, had different backgrounds and education and in some
    instances were fishermen who were prepared to undergo jail, totrure, floggings and
    death because of the things they had seen and heard, that is why! Its not an ordinary
    thing smagglepuss!

tell the forum Agers how a carpenter from Galilee managed to influence men to the
    extent that he has, tell us the likelihood of such an occurrence?
  7. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:01
    serious premise ...[text shortened]... the earliest dating to about the year 180 C.E. that help to
    “...therefore according to your erroneous assertion ...”

what assertion of mine?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:06
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “...therefore according to your erroneous assertion ...”

what assertion of mine?
    that the text have undergone significant corruption, what else!
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:102 edits
    that the text have undergone significant corruption, what else!
    But I didn't assert that, I implied that (via posting that post) . -sorry, I just like to be pedantic pain in the ***.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:12
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    But I didn't assert that, I implied that (via posting that post) . -sorry, I just like to be pedantic.
    its ok, I dont mind, at least you had a bite at the cherry 🙂
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:181 edit
    why, because the authors lived at different epochs of history, did not fully understand
    what they were writing, had different backgrounds and education and in some
    instances were fishermen who were prepared to undergo jail, totrure, floggings and
    death because of the things they had seen and heard, that is why! Its not an ordinary
    thing smag ...[text shortened]... aged to influence men to the
    extent that he has, tell us the likelihood of such an occurrence?
    It is far more plausible to assume that all the authors knew they were deliberately writing the prophecies true afterwards, and just pattern matching their tales to what had been written by earlier authors (or perhaps were shafted over by the more intelligent people who wanted to write what the fishermen wrote (bu didn't want to be killed themselves)) than assuming all the nonsense you believe actually happened.

Perhaps 'Jesus of Galilee' inspired no one and just became an unwitting martyr when someone figured his death could be exploited to fulfill a prophecy. People then write all sorts of tales about him and so on...
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:211 edit
    It is far more plausible to assume that all the authors knew they were deliberately writing the prophecies true afterwards, and just pattern matching their tales to what had been written by earlier authors (or perhaps were shafted over by the more intelligent people who wanted to write what the fishermen wrote (bu didn't want to be killed themselves)) than ass an unwitting martyr when someone figured his death could be exploited to fulfill a prophecy.
    more plausible, hows it more plausible if its based on nothingness and a conspiracy
    theory and a cynical disposition???, what bumf, you cannot handle the fact of
    inspiration attested to by hundreds of prophecies, corroborated through secular history
    and archeological evidence, it must be a bitter pil to swallow dear Agers, in fact, i may
    write a play, the rise and fall of Agers, a tragedy, a lust for power and great fall which
    put humpty dumpty out the game!
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:313 edits
    more plausible, hows it more plausible if its based on nothingness and a conspiracy
    theory and a cynical disposition???, what bumf, you cannot handle the fact of
    inspiration attested to by hundreds of prophecies, corroborated through secular history
    and archeological evidence, it must be a bitter pil to swallow dear Agers, in fact, i may
    writ ...[text shortened]... all of Agers, a tragedy, a lust for power and great fall which
    put humpty dumpty out the game!
    There is much to gain from fabricating the Jesus myth by people who wish to control the masses with religion. The prophecies could easily have been written true by later authors and for those who you assert were lesser educated and didn't understand what they were writing could have been screwed over by those that did.

Take for example RBHILL, perhaps one of the most 'gifted' posters to grace these boards. It is easy to imagine someone coming along and paying him off with three 'magic beans' to write some garbage knowing he might get killed for it afterwards.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:391 edit
    There is much to gain from fabricating the Jesus myth by people who wish to control the masses with religion. The prophecies could easily have been written true by later authors and for those who you assert were lesser educated and didn't understand what they were writing could have been screwed over by those that did.

Take for example RBHILL, perhaps one o th three 'magic beans' to write some garbage knowing he might get killed for it afterwards.
    lol, people who wish to control the masses with religion, write sooooo they invent a carpenter from Galilee and his fishermen friends.????
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Apr '11 16:431 edit
    lol, people who wish to control the masses with religion, write sooooo they invent a carpenter from Galilee and his fishermen friends.????
    Far more plausible than virgin births, magic gardens etc... Doesn't require any appeals to the supernatural, simply an appeal to human nature ;]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree