1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 09:51
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Do you think that atheists are more amoral than theists, GB?
    Hell, no. All of us are rotten to the core if left to our overt and covert carnality without external restraint and/or redeeming internal virtues and standards which must be learned. That's why early parental teaching is so important to a child.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 10:25
    Originally posted by JS357
    The death of God resulted in the disintegration of the shrine at which people had come to worship their morality, or more accurately, worship the imagined Author of their morality. Religion was a sea anchor. We are cast adrift. Moral authority seeks a new basis for those whose God is dead. I see no reason to hate this person. He spoke truth.

My only point o ...[text shortened]... h a desire to break away from moral laws. Nor did he. I think he was saying what I say above.
    God is dead is a delusion, what ol Nietzsche was saying was that there was no more need or necessity for God or a morality delivered from a deity, humans could successfully establish their own morality entirely independently, the evidence against the premise is of course now rather telling.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 10:491 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    God is dead is a delusion, what ol Nietzsche was saying was that there was no more need or necessity for God or a morality delivered from a deity, humans could successfully establish their own morality entirely independently, the evidence against the premise is of course now rather telling.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 11:13
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    speechless i see.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 13:151 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Hell, no. All of us are rotten to the core if left to our overt and covert carnality without external restraint and/or redeeming internal virtues and standards which must be learned. That's why early parental teaching is so important to a child.
    I have a question as to why he used the term 'incubus', which has sexual connotations:
    It didn't seem to me a proper metaphor but I am totally unversed in philosophy so it is probably just me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 13:34
    speechless i see.
    Struck dumb would be closer to the truth.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 14:27
    You agree then that religion, faith or indeed god are not needed for gaining and keeping a sense of morality?
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 14:491 edit
    The question I had was:

Do you think there is any theistic society or group (other than those based around a Christian God) which has successfully established its own morality based in its own religion?

If the answer is no, then I have no interest in continuing to discuss the matter, as the argument that everybody who is not a Christian is automatically immoral is not one I am interested in.

If yes, then given that you believe that the god that this society is based around does not exist, then surely this means that they established this morality 'entirely independently'?

Or, alternatively, are you saying that the concept of a god is necessary for humans to successfully establish their own morality, rather than the actual existence of one?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 14:531 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    You agree then that religion, faith or indeed god are not needed for gaining and keeping a sense of morality?
    I think it is clear we don't need constant reference to the alleged morality of a god now but 3000 years ago, maybe it was needed back then since people were not as restrained as they are today, more like a gang of biker thugs who would just take what they want and damn the consequences. Just a guess.

It is clear morality comes from humans, and religion is the result of intelligent design alright, just that the intelligence came from humans.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to come up with 'do unto others'.. etc. or honor thy mother and father. Why would people even THINK a god was needed to come up with thoughts like that?

That would be the result of people 3,4,5 thousand years ago being 99% uneducated even by the standards of the day, anyone who was above the crowd intelligence wise and creative could convince those gullible ones that since THEY couldn't come up with new thoughts the person talking who has some smarts could SAY he or she represents a god and you better listen or that god will strike you down. Then a lucky break for the talker, say, a thunder/lightning strike happens right when he says that and a new religion is off and running.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 17:113 edits
    Nietzche didn't own the term. Hegel said it before him and may others have explored the idea. It doesn't necessarily assert a lack of need for divine authority, it can assert a social trend that results in a regrettable vacuum as follows:

"In 1961, Vahanian's book The Death of God was published. Vahanian argued that modern secular culture had lost all sense of the sacred, lacking any sacramental meaning, no transcendental purpose, or sense of providence. He concluded that for the modern mind "God is dead." In Vahanian's vision a transformed post-Christian and post-modern culture was needed to create a renewed experience of deity."

"Both Van Buren and Hamilton agreed that the concept of transcendence had lost any meaningful place in modern thought. According to the norms of contemporary modern thought, God is dead. In responding to this collapse in transcendence Van Buren and Hamilton offered secular people the option of Jesus as the model human who acted in love. The encounter with the Christ of faith would be open in a church-community."

(wiki on "God is Dead" )

I would call the latter idea Christian humanism or even Christian existentialism, to the extent Christ as a model human isn't deified.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 18:124 edits
    [b]"The atheist atheists love to hate"

"Hobart Mauer, famed psychologist, who earned his doctorate degree from Johns Hopkins, for four years was instructor at Yale, for eight years taught at Harvard, and in 1954 became president of the American Psychological Association was also an avowed atheist, and ended his life by suicide.

In 1960 he wrot n some circumstances. He committed suicide in 1982 at the age of 75." (wiki)

Comments?[/b]
    I'm a bit confused. Why does your initial source here (which is http://truthlab.wordpress.com/tag/hobart-mauer/ ) use the name 'Mauer' when his name is actually Orval Hobart Mowrer? If you look up the work Sin: the Lesser of Two Evils it is referenced to author O. Hobart Mowrer (from American Psychologist, Vol 15(5), May 1960, 301-304). So is your source just too incompetent to get the guy's name right; or is there some other explanation?

Other than that, I wouldn't have much comment. Never really heard of the guy or the work in question before now. I don't actually know any atheists who love to hate him (or who have even mentioned him). I may read the work in question and form my own opinion (if I have time).
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 18:48
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I'm a bit confused. Why does your initial source here (which is http://truthlab.wordpress.com/tag/hobart-mauer/ ) use the name 'Mauer' when his name is actually Orval Hobart Mowrer? If you look up the work Sin: the Lesser of Two Evils it is referenced to author O. Hobart Mowrer (from American Psychologist, Vol 15(5), May 1960, 301-304). So is yo ...[text shortened]... mentioned him). I may read the work in question and form my own opinion (if I have time).
    Hi, LemonJello. Not having seen you here in awhile, I wondered if you had changed your address to L.J., One Academe Avenue, All Points Celestial, Heaven. lol Glad you're okay. Always try to provide 100% percent verbatim text; this was no exception. In referencing several sites, including Wiki, I did notice the alternative spellings and concluded the explanation was most likely a matter of preference or protocol in the use of a Foreign and/or Americanized transliteration. Thanks for noticing this contradiction; since you've always been thorough in your deliberations, the detection comes as no surprise.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 20:07
    Atheist: "noun. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence
    of God or gods: he is a committed atheist." (oxforddictionaries.com)

Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures [fathers, coaches, bosses] at an early point in their lives?

Note: Read all and will reply to all posts that merit response later this evening or in the morning. Thanks for your interest.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 20:52
    Atheist: "noun. a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence
    of God or gods: he is a committed atheist." (oxforddictionaries.com)

Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures [fathers, coach ...[text shortened]... all posts that merit response later this evening or in the morning. Thanks for your interest.
    Question: Would it be within the realm of conceivable reality that those who become atheists
    as adults gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent dislike or hatred of authority figures
    [fathers, coaches, bosses] at an early point in their lives?

If you are asking if in reality a majority of atheists "gradually acquired a deep distrust and consequent
    dislike or hatred of authority figures ...."
    then the answer is no.

Is it conceivable? yes of course it's conceivable as you just conceived of it.
    But just because you can think it, it doesn't mean it's real.

Your question with all that it implies is also, as ever, insulting.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 20:54
    Hi, LemonJello. Not having seen you here in awhile, I wondered if you had changed your address to L.J., One Academe Avenue, All Points Celestial, Heaven. lol Glad you're okay. Always try to provide 100% percent verbatim text; this was no exception. In referencing several sites, including Wiki, I did notice the alternative spellings and concluded the exp ...[text shortened]... ; since you've always been thorough in your deliberations, the detection comes as no surprise.
    Glad you're okay.

Thank you, Bobby.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree