1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 16:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why then do you distrust your father?
    Huh?

Of course some questions are predicated on non-facts. I'll tell you why I distrust my father if you'll tell me why you beat your wife. Deal?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 16:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    Reading about him I discovered that he acquired syphilis in a brothel. The only controversy is to whether it was a gay or straight brothel.

Isn't it ironic that the very teachings he railed against, namely Biblical teachings, could have saved his life had he followed them?
    Right 'cause Christians never contract syphilis. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think you and Bobby probably deserve each other. 😵
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 16:284 edits
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Right 'cause Christians never contract syphilis. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think you and Bobby probably deserve each other. 😵
    ANOTHER EPIC FAIL, Whodeys point was not that Christians have not contracted syphilis, his actual point was, that is the point he actually made was that had ol Nietzsche applied Biblical principles it would have spared him contracting syphilis in the first instance, but hey we know how hard it is for you to acknowledge the Bibles superlative practical wisdom. You and ol Nietzsche deserve each other, dateless dudes if ever there were two 😵
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ANOTHER EPIC FAIL, Whodeys point was not that Christians have not contracted syphilis, his actual point was, that is the point he actually made was that had ol Nietzsche applied Biblical principles it would have spared him contracting syphilis in the first instance, but hey we know how hard it is for you to acknowledge the Bibles superlative practical wisdom. You and ol Nietzsche deserve each other, dateless dudes if ever there were two 😵
    It's the Nancy Reagan "Just say no" approach to public policy.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:07
    Right 'cause anyone who follows Biblical principles will be spared contracting syphilis. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think you and Bobby and whodey make a perfect trio. 😵
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:07
    the Bibles superlative practical wisdom
    I am wearing a wool and linen suit.

How long have I got?

Oh, and if you should contract leprosy, will you be following the Bibles practical advice or consulting an NHS doctor?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:461 edit
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I am wearing a wool and linen suit.

How long have I got?

Oh, and if you should contract leprosy, will you be following the Bibles practical advice or consulting an NHS doctor?
    sigh, Mosaic law applied only to the nation of Israel, you are a non Israelite I take it.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    It's the Nancy Reagan "Just say no" approach to public policy.
    Nancy Reagan I dont know much about, i have sympathy for Mrs Clinton though and really like Mrs Obama, she is a much better public speaker than her husband.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 17:501 edit
    Right 'cause anyone who follows Biblical principles will be spared contracting syphilis. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I think you and Bobby and whodey make a perfect trio. 😵
    Right you are, cannot bring yourself to say it, ill say it for you, the Bibles wisdom is awesome!
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 18:391 edit
    sigh, Mosaic law applied only to the nation of Israel, you are a non Israelite I take it.
    Wasn't not having sex with prostitutes also part of Mosaic law?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 19:53
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

"In 1960 he wrote an article entitled “Sin, the Lesser of Two Evils,” in The American Psychologist magazine. In it he said, “For several decades we psychologists have looked upon the whole matter of sin and moral accountability as a great incubus and we have acclaimed our freedom from it as epic making... " (OP)

"I have a question as to why ...[text shortened]... the early intellectual caul in which we were kept until an 'epic' escape to freedom?
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    "I have a question as to why he used the term 'incubus', which has sexual connotations:
    It didn't seem to me a proper metaphor but I am totally unversed in philosophy so it is probably just me."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus

Shared the "Sin, the Lesser of Two Evils,” in The American Psychologist magazine" article with an informed and well traveled friend from the West Coast on Facebook yesterday. Notice that her reply contains a slightly different/useful take in point 1):

"Hi Bob, Sorry for not being on facebook all day. I'm not sure of Mowrer's/Mauer's intentions, but it seems that "incubus" has two meanings:

1) cause of mental distress: something that causes somebody much worry or anxiety, especially a nightmare or obsession
    2) male demon having sex with women: in medieval times, a male demon that was believed to have sexual intercourse with women while they were asleep. So, the first definition works, I think..." (fb friend)

Have you had any further insights on the question?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 19:55
    Yes, Bobby, atheists characteristically have a deep distrust and hatred of their fathers, coaches, bosses, etc. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
    May I ask why?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 19:57
    Originally posted by JS357
    This question should be amenable to study using the scientific method.
    Please illustrate the conclusions that would likely be reached with its application. Thanks.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 20:04
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Such affirmation must give twhitehead a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    Such magnanimity!
    Grandstanding with clever quips and Upsmanship forays to a nucleus of kindred spirit friends doesn't necessarily contribute to a conversation's flow. Locke observed that, "We arrive at the truth through the honest disagreement of friends". Bob
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Sep '13 20:07
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    No, although I reckon it's possible that those that actively call themselves atheist are in general less likely to blindly accept whatever someone who is "above" them tells them. It's a consequence of being more skeptic than "believers".
    "It's a consequence of being more skeptic than "believers."

In the same league as the Doubting Thomas Skeptic who may eventually become a "believer"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree