The cocked gun to the head

The cocked gun to the head

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Aug 05
2 edits

Originally posted by lucifershammer

Do you assert that "political force" (as I described in a previous post) is an invalid concept? Do you deny that compulsion need not be of a nature that implies personal, physical harm?
Political force, if it takes place without guns, is a misnomer.
Its acceptance as a common term is a reflection of people's intellectual laziness; they mistakenly think they have to accept whatever is politically fashionable.

Compulsion entails the initiation of the use of force.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Aug 05

Not if it is wilfully and knowingly. I am using the word "knowing" in the sense of "reasonable belief" rather than "absolute certainty".
If that's true, then for the Pope to say that Jews by choice still have the path to salvation open to them is for him to say that those Jews are unreasonable. This is because if they were reasonable, they would be denying Christ wilfully and knowingly, and thus the path would not be open; the only way the path is open to a willful Jew is if that Jew is unreasonable. So the Pope's message boils down to, "Jews, you're lucky you're so unreasonable, or you wouldn't have a prayer."

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Political force, if it takes place without guns, is a misnomer.
It's acceptance as a common term is a reflection of people's intellectual laziness; they mistakenly think they have to accept whatever is politically fashionable.

Compulsion entails the initiation of the use of force.
Force: To compel through pressure or necessity: I forced myself to practice daily. He was forced to take a second job.
- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=force

Compel: To force, drive, or constrain: Duty compelled the soldiers to volunteer for the mission.
- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compel

Of course, both verbs have definitions in the sense of physical force, but I've produced here the ones that correspond to the more general sense in which I've used them. The general sense does include the specific sense of physical force or compulsion.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Aug 05

[b]Force: To compel through pressure or necessity: I forced myself to practice daily. He was forced to take a second job.
- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=force

Compel: To force, drive, or constrain: Duty compelled the soldiers to volunteer for the mission.
- http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=compel

O ...[text shortened]... ve used them. The general sense does include the specific sense of physical force or compulsion.[/b]
These are liberally fashionable and politically correct definitions you supply. I put no stock in them.

Nobody has ever been forced to take a job, except slaves and by physical force.
Nobody has ever been compelled to join the armed forces, except conscripts and under threat of imprisonment.

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05

If that's true, then for the Pope to say that Jews by choice still have the path to salvation open to them is for him to say that those Jews are unreasonable. This is because if they were reasonable, they would be denying Christ wilfully and knowingly, and thus the path would not be open; the only way the path is open to a willful Jew is if that Je ...[text shortened]... boils down to, "Jews, you're lucky you're so unreasonable, or you wouldn't have a prayer."
Reasonableness relates evidence available to a person with the conclusions he/she forms on the basis of that evidence. It is not unreasonable for a biologist to split the biological world into two Kingdoms - Plant and Animal - based on the evidence available to him. Nor is it unreasonable for the same biologist to decide that the biological world is best split into five Kingdoms as more evidence of the similarities and differences of species is presented to him.

I should've clarified when I used the word "knowingly" - I mean that a person has evidence based on which he can reasonably conclude that Jesus is Christ etc., and has no substantial impediment to his making that conclusion (Perhaps he is struggling to make ends meet and has never quite had the leisure to think about such theological matters).

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05
1 edit

These are liberally fashionable and politically correct definitions you supply. I put no stock in them.

Nobody has ever been forced to take a job, except slaves and by physical force.
Nobody has ever been compelled to join the armed forces, except conscripts and under threat of imprisonment.
Out of curiosity, what do you think of Wittgenstein (particularly in his Tractatus-era)?

In any case, these definitions are part of common English and I believe the sense in which I used them is clear enough from the context.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Aug 05

"Finally, those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God. In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh. On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gif ...[text shortened]... the calls He issues."
- Dogmatic Constitution on the Church Lumen Gentium. Vatican II.
This was hardly the love demonstrated to the Jews in Spain at the hands of the Catholic church during the middle ages.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Aug 05
2 edits

Out of curiosity, what do you think of Wittgenstein (particularly in his Tractatus-era)?

In any case, these definitions are part of common English and I believe the sense in which I used them is clear enough from the context.
He said, "Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language."

While you cannot forcefully bewitch my intelligence, in rejecting your bewitching definitions, I am doing my part to prevent such bewitchment. I am thus engaging in philosophy when I reject your definitions, and not mere pedantic quibbling as many here have been quick to suggest when they tire of my semantic precision.

He also said, "The limits of my language are the limits of my world."
This is something I observe over and over and over again in this forum.

If only Spirituality forum members would more often adhere to Proposition 7, we would be able to waste a lot less time.

Wittgenstein's contributions are valuable. They should be required reading for participation in this forum, if only for my sanity.

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
This was hardly the love demonstrated to the Jews in Spain at the hands of the Catholic church during the middle ages.
No, it wasn't. But is that the point, in your opinion? And why?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Aug 05

I thought the point we were examining was if there was a change in Catholic position.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
08 Aug 05

The point is, did the Church's theological view on Jews' potential salvation change? If in modern times, the position is that they can be saved without being Christian, then why didn't the Inquisition also accept that they could be saved without being Christian?

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05

He said, "Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of language."

While you cannot forcefully bewitch my intelligence, in rejecting your bewitching definitions, I am doing my part to prevent such bewitchment. I am thus engaging in philosophy when I reject your definitions, and not mere pedantic quibbling as man ...[text shortened]... luable. They should be required reading for participation in this forum, if only for my sanity.
Yet, it is interesting, is it not, that Wittgenstein should so forcefully abandon the precision he demanded of language in the Tractatus later in his career?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
08 Aug 05

Let us talk about "change." What is wrong with admitting the need for change. Is this not what repentence is all about? Why are denominations so resistent to change? What a wonderful example denominations set for individuals when they admit they have a history of wrongful and hurtful behaviors. Baptists once turned a blind eye to slavery. Some even endorsed it. Regrettably the history of the church on both sides of the Catholic-Protestant isle is that corporate repentence takes place after the victims are dead, sometimes for centuries.

We have before us today other issues that will one day be looked back on as "no-brainers." Two among them are the celibacy of the priesthood and the damnation of homosexuals.

So the concept of change is nothing to be afraid of as it is often impetus of a right relationship to God.

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05

The point is, did the Church's theological view on Jews' potential salvation change? If in modern times, the position is that they can be saved without being Christian, then why didn't the Inquisition also accept that they could be saved without being Christian?
The answer, as with Galileo, has little to do with theology. An interesting couple of links on the Inquisition from a Jewish perspective:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/History/Inquisition.html
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Maimonides.html

To answer your question, the Inquisition was directed against Jews who had converted to Christianity but remained secretly Jewish.

http://www.aish.com/literacy/jewishhistory/Crash_Course_in_Jewish_History_Part_48_-_The_Inquisition.asp (Also from a Jewish perspective)

Formally, of course, they were heretics. And, in the eyes of the medieval Inquisition, all heretics were wilfully and knowingly so.

l

London

Moves
08 Aug 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
Let us talk about "change." What is wrong with admitting the need for change. Is this not what repentence is all about? Why are denominations so resistent to change? What a wonderful example denominations set for individuals when they admit they have a history of wrongful and hurtful behaviors. Baptists once turned a blind eye to slavery. Some ...[text shortened]... cept of change is nothing to be afraid of as it is often impetus of a right relationship to God.
From a Catholic perspective, priestly celibacy and homosexuality are two entirely different ball games. One is a matter of ecclesiastical discipline (and can be "changed", to use the word of the moment), the other is a matter of morality (which cannot).

Change, when it is a peripheral change (or more properly, an alteration) is no cause of resistance; when it is a substantial change, it's a different matter altogether.