1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 01:49
    What do I get if I accept your offer?

The best conceivable thing.

What consequences obtain if I refuse your offer?

The worst conceivable thing.

What must I do to go from this one staggering result to the other?

Just pray a little prayer. It will take you about a minute.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 05:49
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

No one wants to be the victum of a con game. If an offer seems too good to be true, it usually is. But once in a while, one can miss out on a real good deal, if one always goes by that rule. One should do their homework and test the waters before jumping in with both feet.
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 06:05

Wouldn't it be make sense to first identify the reality of an actual need? If there is one, whose "offer" will fulfill it?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 06:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Wouldn't it be make sense to first identify the reality of an actual need? If there is one, whose "offer" will fulfill it?
    You have had literally years here to establish the "reality" of your claims about there being an "afterlife" and yet you have as yet been unable to make the case. Indeed, you usually end up wittering on about "the original Greek", about a pastor that you happen to like, and numerous threads started to discuss the psychological flaws of people who have different beliefs from you.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 09:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have had literally years here to establish the "reality" of your claims about there being an "afterlife" and yet you have as yet been unable to make the case. Indeed, you usually end up wittering on about "the original Greek", about a pastor that you happen to like, and numerous threads started to discuss the psychological flaws of people who have different beliefs from you.
    What good does it do to criticize Grampy Bobby for you not wanting to do your homework?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 11:29
    Footnote: If no actual need is identified, why waste discretionary recreational time trafficking speculations or subjective opinions without basis of authority in an online spirituality forum [as if waltzing around a dance floor without a partner]?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '15 11:37
    Footnote: If no actual need is identified, why waste discretionary recreational time trafficking speculations or subjective opinions without basis of authority in an online spirituality forum [as if waltzing around a dance floor without a partner]?
    Because, in the course of you (and others) making peculiar claims about reality ~ yours, mine and everyone else's ~ your behaviour is interesting.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 16:092 edits
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 17:20
    Originally posted by sonship
    Silence is a virtue?
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 17:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Silence is a virtue?
    Agree, DT. Sometimes our words weigh more than our substantive thought; at other times, the truth content of our thought is too much to bear by those whose intellectual comfort zones have already accepted and adapted to falsehood and truth mixed with error as the normative standard. Patience, perseverance and grace under fire are also virtues worth acquiring.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 18:212 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Silence is a virtue?
    A mistake
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 18:21

You can choose to believe the worst conceivable thing about something or you can choose the best.

The difference between these extremes is just a few microseconds of cognitive process.

What is the consequence of refusing to differentiate?

Certainly not truth
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You can choose to believe the worst conceivable thing about something or you can choose the best.

The difference between these extremes is just a few microseconds of cognitive process.

What is the consequence of refusing to differentiate?

Certainly not truth
    Most things I evaluate from real life (people, situations, etc) are a mixed bag. Very rarely do I encounter a case that is entirely positive or negative. So, when someone proposes something that they claim is 100% positive, it tends to set off the BS detector. Add a threat of a 100% negative result, with only minimal effort to change from one result to another, and the siren sounds.

Even the Nigerian that wants me to pretend to be a relative of a deceased guy with millions of $$ in the bank does not threaten me with a bad result, should I refuse to cooperate.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 19:023 edits
    Even the Nigerian that wants me to pretend to be a relative of a deceased guy with millions of $$ in the bank does not threaten me with a bad result, should I refuse to cooperate.

There is no "Con Game" when we Christians seek to tell others of the good news of Christ's salvation.

I think reading the New Testament for one's self gives a way for Jesus, the Source of the Good News, to speak to you directly.

I am not saying that charlatans of religion do not exist. They existed in the gospels. I don't see why they would not continue to exist afterwards.

But after reading the words of Jesus in, say, the Gospel of Luke or John , do you feel like a "Con Game" is being put over on you by Jesus?

Do you think the Father He speaks of is running a "Con Game" on you when you read Mark or the book of Matthew ?

I don't. I look back not on people who spoke to me about Jesus, and most of them were not perfect people, and I am thankful they took the time. Is it possible that out of good heart someone wants you to be saved?

Some know that they too were once scoffers and skeptical. And God had mercy on them to give them the ability to believe the gospel. So they cannot stand the thought that others could not be recipients of that same underserved mercy.

Faulty as our delivery may be at times, we feel others simply must at least be given the opportunity to hear.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Jan '15 19:11
    Originally posted by sonship

There is no "Con Game" when we Christians seek to tell others of the good news of Christ's salvation.

I think reading the New Testament for one's self g ...[text shortened]... hey cannot stand the thought that others could not be recipients of that same underserved mercy.
    I am a former Christian who has read the Bible thoroughly.

When I was in the faith, I didn't think of it as a con game. As I gradually left, I begin to see Christianity from the outside. The main 'selling point' just struck me as a con game. It seemed more and more obvious the more I considered it.

I believe you when you say you don't consider offering salvation a Con Game. I'm simply suggesting that the similarities with other cons are cause for disconcertion, once you've spent some time considering the situation from that angle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree